GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,758
2 members and 1,756 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas A&M rush as a junior

I was just wondering how weird it would be if I rushed at Texas A&M as a junior. I go to a school in Chicago right now and they don't really have sororities at my school, but I will be transferring to Texas A&M next year(fall 2014) and really want to join a sorority and want to know your thoughts on that!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

haha what a small world! I am originally from Texas and then went up to school in Chicago but had a hard time at rush and ended up coming home and now I am trying to transfer to Texas A&M! Much luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBrowsing123 View Post
I was just wondering how weird it would be if I rushed at Texas A&M as a junior. I go to a school in Chicago right now and they don't really have sororities at my school, but I will be transferring to Texas A&M next year(fall 2014) and really want to join a sorority and want to know your thoughts on that!
Weird?? no. But successful? I wouldn't count on it. It will be really, really rough. Hopefully you have stellar grades and will get recs for EVERY chapter. Read the multitude of threads about SEC rush here.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 AM

Texas A&M does have an upperclassman quota for those that go through formal recruitment as sophomores/juniors/seniors.

Last edited by APhi4Ever; 04-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
Texas A&M does have an upperclassman quota for those that go through formal recruitment as sophomores/juniors/seniors.

True. But not all houses use it. High GPA in tandem with the letters of recommendation, etc, will increase your odds, but you have to understand the odds are against you. Keep your options open, don't go in thinking you want to be a AB or ABC and you will have a better chance.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Like the others said, hopefully you have great grades and have been involved in extracurriculars along the way so you have a good resume. Get recs for EVERY group and keep an open mind.

I say go through recruitment...you never know until you try and even if you don't get a bid, you'll make new friends along the way.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
True. But not all houses use it. High GPA in tandem with the letters of recommendation, etc, will increase your odds, but you have to understand the odds are against you. Keep your options open, don't go in thinking you want to be a AB or ABC and you will have a better chance.
Yes, that is correct. Just because there is an upperclassman quota does not mean every chapter has to use it.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
The information that I have indicates that every house but one matched to the secondary quota number in 2012. Not that this means they all will next year, nor does it mean that an upperclassman has a snowball's chance. But I think it's worth noting that UC quota was almost universally used last year.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't remember upper class quota last year at A&M but it was in the high teens maybe 17- 18 ???. Something like that. While there are no guarantees, your chances at A&M are better than most as long as you optimize your options and have the qualifications the chapters are looking for in a member. All you can do is try.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
The information that I have indicates that every house but one matched to the secondary quota number in 2012. Not that this means they all will next year, nor does it mean that an upperclassman has a snowball's chance. But I think it's worth noting that UC quota was almost universally used last year.
In general, doesn't the upperclassman quota *generally* favor sophomores transferring in, especially those coming from colleges like Blinn?