GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,264
2 members and 2,262 guests
flamboyanttree, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Senior Send-Off Gift Ideas

Every spring, we have a Founder's Day Brunch where we also have our Senior Send-Off. Each little makes a short presentation about her graduating big, and then at the end, the Founder's Day Chair gives each senior a small present. In the past, we've purchased flasks and had them engraved with each girl's initials. However, we're trying to move away from the flasks and towards something more appropriate and more useful. I'm in charge next semester and I'm trying to get some ideas for presents (roughly $20 per girl) that I can present for a vote after winter break.

~Roughly $20 each
~Appropriate and useful
~Not necessarily concerned with the sorority/university

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-24-2012, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have a sort of nice portfolio thing that holds a legal pad and some pens and some post-its, and it's really nice for taking on interviews. I have seen them with university crests, and I think some sororities have them as well. I got one as a senior gift and used it at work for YEARS. The fake leather ones are not expensive; probably under $20. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Belvede.../dp/B004OGFLA0

Another would be business card cases, because you could do initials on those pretty cheaply, I think.

In short, anything they can likely use in the professional world is helpful.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

A nice padfolio for interviews is something really useful. It provides a small but professional looking place to keep extra copies of the resume, a reference list, and directions to the interview. Some are pricey, but they don't have to be.

http://www.target.com/p/leather-padf...i_sku=14113680

ETA: I was posting at the same time as DBB... while I was Googling to find an example. I was also looking at business card cases but did consider that a lot of professions don't use business cards at all. It can still be a nice holder for all those store reward/discount/loyalty cards though!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

We usually do a photo frame, with a picture of the whole chapter in it. You could get the silver engraved ones with your letters and "Class of ___" (or not)--they run around $20
Old 12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Business Card Holders

I am a really big fan of business card holders. Everyone should have their own business cards, especially job seekers.

Even if you are not job seeking, you never know when are going to meet a possible business connection or to help another. I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT my business cards. I even carry them with me on the ski slope. Saves having to worry about a pen and paper.

I did a simple search and found these. You could have each senior's name on them.

http://www.wholesalefavors.com/p-CC-002.html

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10492735...m_campaign=GPS

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10708217...m_campaign=GPS

I have even given my card to guys who ask me out. We simply exchange business cards. I keep my personal and office card separate.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a nice gift that helps transition to grown up life is great. The padfolio or business card holders are great. And I think having them engraved with a logo instead of letters is nice too. For instance, for that DG in your life, you could have it personalized with an anchor, instead of the letters or the crest. Not every sorority's symbol lends itself to that, but if it does, I think it's a nice move toward acknowledging your sorority membership in a pubic way, but whispering it, not shouting it.

I am also a true believer in business cards for the unemployed. If you could do 50 cards AND a card holder for each graduating senior, that would be a really nice touch.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a planner/padfolio would be more useful than a business card holder. There are more girls in my chapter that are going into lines of work that aren't likely to use business cards than those that are, but a planner is something everyone could use.

There are also people on etsy who can make monogrammed or initial necklace charms or bracelets; I have found someone who makes bangles for about $20 with initials. You can message me if you want a link for that to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And I think having them engraved with a logo instead of letters is nice too. For instance, for that DG in your life, you could have it personalized with an anchor, instead of the letters or the crest. Not every sorority's symbol lends itself to that, but if it does, I think it's a nice move toward acknowledging your sorority membership in a pubic way, but whispering it, not shouting it.
Unfortunately, having a teddy bear on a business portfolio probably wouldn't look so good, and I doubt many companies will have a torch symbol. SDT's symbol isn't always easy to find or isn't often done on "cute" items.

You could also consider something with Lapis Lazuli. Amazon has a lot of great options like small stud earrings and other jewelry, and it's a way to wear something SDT subtly that will always be appropriate.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

There are custom engraving stores all over the place, and I think a torch on a padfolio would look great. And believe me, I get it about tricky symbols. I think a torch is probably easier than a quill! But again, it would be a great image on that type of product IF you could find the graphic.