GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,787
4 members and 1,783 guests
Sciencewoman, speedsters

Old 09-27-2001, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It happened a long time ago

But I will try to remember my experience. I went to a large mid-atlantic school with a HUGE greek system. 19 sororities. They were:

Pi Beta Phi
AEPhi
Sigma Kappa
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
DPhiE
SDT
AZD
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Kappa Delta
Tri Delt
AGD
ADPi
AChiO
Phi Sigma Sigma
AOpi
Zeta Tau Alpha (colony)

First round of parties was "tours" 15 minutes quick conversation. ZTA was a colony and had rush technically after formal rush was over so they sang a song I think.

I LOVED Theta and Kappa to most I think after that round.

Next round was "set of 12" and out of 18 houses (ZTA dropped out) AOPi and Theta cut me. I think theta since it was (in my opinion) the best house I wasn't considered the best cut me and AOPi cut me but was quite frankly surprised but they are very good as well and I was CLUELESS about the rush experience and they were the last house I visited on the last night and was exhausted and probably didn't "sell myself" as well as I should have but honestly, I didn't realize I needed to sell myself anyway.

I cut Sigma Kappa (but ended up going back because I didn't realize AOPi cut me), AGD, Pi Phi, AZD and Gamma Phi Beta.

Set of 12 I still loved Kappa but also their rival Alpha Phi a lot. I also loved KD and Tri Delt.

Here is a break down on MY OPINIONS of the rest of the houses I visited during set of 12.

AEPhi -- A jewish sorority and I am not jewish so didn't think about them very much.

Sigma Kappa -- Average house. I tried to cut them even though I was a legacy and wasn't thrilled with them but they had great skits. there was a girl from my high school and she was nice but i will admit that I wanted to be a part of an "elite" house. Whatever that means I have no idea!

DPhiE -- another jewish house and thought as the "worst" jewish house.

SDT -- another jewish house and thought as the "best" jewish house

Alpha Phi -- I really liked them. Maybe not the top 1-2 houses but close.

Delta Gamma -- really diverse cool down to earth house. In hierarchy in the middle.

Kappa Kappa Gamma -- one of the best. Extremely pretty and somewhat preppyy (I am very preppy) and I liked them a lot.

Kappa Delta -- definitely one of the best. GORGEOUS house. KD Castle. Very beautiful in a glamourous way girls.

Tri Delt -- again, one of the best. Very preppy pretty girls. A lot of cheerleaders are Tri Delts.

ADPi -- not so great. two girls in that house lived on my dorm the year before and liked them but was so-so about them.

AChiO -- see DG

Phi Sigma Sigma -- another jewish house

AOpi -- one of the best but not the best 1-2 houses but close. But they cut me.

Ok, after set of 12 was set of 6 and I was cut HARD. I was only invited back to...

1) SDT
2) Sigma Kappa
3) Phi Sig

I was very shocked! I was a sophmore and cute but didn't have the best grades but still was shocked. I truly feel that my cluelessness played a part because I had no idea what I was doing! No one told me that there is a chance you wouldn't get a bid, that houses cut you. Our Rho Chi was terrible and I was simply clueless. My school's greek system was very competitive and I wish that I knew how every teeny tiny thing you wore, said, etc was being judged on. I simply was CLUELESS.

Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with any house, especially since I knew I wasn't going to go SDT or Phi Sig b/c I am not jewish and that is not an option. I would have gone Sig Kap because I really liked their skits but wasn't thrilled but at that point I just wanted to be in a sorority. Plus, I had no idea what being a legacy meant really so I was just clueless. Sorry to keep repeating myself.

Any way, picking up invites to preference came and I went all the way to the panhell office to pick up my invites and was invited to...

Nowhere.

My rho chi didn't call me or anything. I wasn't humiliated I was pissed that my rho chi didn't call me to save me some humiliation. However, NO ONE knows this story. Not even my best friends.

My Rho Chi was a KD and I think she should have called me.

I'll tell you this, I did go greek and loved it.

Any guesses as to where I went to school?

And, during my college years and since I graduated a million years ago, KKG, Pi Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, AGD and AZD lost their charters. All because of low numbers except for KKG who lost it b/c of pther problems. It's very competitive.

I wish these boards were here when I went through rush. I know I could have been a KKG or Theta. I'm a great girl!

PS -- supposedly the great houses are still great but I hear that ADPi is up and coming and doing an amazing job! And the "best" jewish house keeps changing so there does seem to be some changes at UMD.

Last edited by kimmykimmy; 09-28-2001 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question ???

KimmyKimmy: what group did you end up joining?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Kimmy,

My guess is you went to Penn State?

Also, SDT and AEPhi are historically Jewish. DPhiE, Phi Sigma Sigma, and AOPi are considered non-sectarian, their founders are either all Jewish or a combination of Jewish & Christian members. On some campuses, those chapters are heavily Jewish. At others, there are hardly any Jewish members.

Anywho...you never said when/where you joined?

Barbara
Old 09-27-2001, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm betting she went to the University of Maryland at College Park.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
It has been a looong time but.... I love reading everyone's stories so I'll add mine-

Indiana State had the following:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Kappa
Zeta Tau Alpha

I was from Connecticut and my dorm "neighbor" (who I talked into going thru with me) was from Kansas. Since ISU is a small school- we were known right off as the "out of state girls" all through rush.

I don't remember anything from the first round- just that Sigma Kappa (my mom's sorority) only had 8 girls and I was really sad for my mom (she went to ISU too). [But the good news was Sigma Kappa recolonized four years later and became one of the biggest sororities on campus!]

I think we went to 6 parties second - but I'll skip that and go to the 2nd to last parties...
I got my invites back and I got Gamma Phi, AOPi, AXO, and Chi Omega. Chi Omega was the shocker because I did not have the grades.

I went to the next round of parties and all were fantastic. I fainted though in the friendship circle of the AOPi party! I was so embarrassed and thought for sure they'd cut me for being so flakey so I took my loses and cut them first. Gamma Phi felt like home, I really loved them. I got to XO and a girl ran up to me first thing and said- "you have to get your transcripts from h.s.!!!"
Double check your grades. As with Gamma Phi- I felt home at this party too. So, I choose Gamma Phi & Chi Omega. I never really gave my whole heart to Chi Omega yet because I knew I did not have the grades and would never get in but I just could not see myself anywhere else- so I took the chance.

The next day-I picked up my high school transcripts from the Registrars office and could not believe my eyes.... a 3.35 from highschool. I thought for sure my mom paid off my highschool to change my GPA!!! But- the grading system is different from the East Coast to the Midwest and when they calculated it out - that is what I had.

So, going into the last two parties- Chi Omega was first. I stood by the wishing well and gave her my whole heart- this is where I wanted to be. The girl behind me squeezed my shoulders tight and told me they wanted me so bad and they all hoped I wanted them too.

Bid Day came and I got Chi Omega- turns out my "out of state" buddy from Kansas became my sister also- she got Chi Omega too!

So, for all those who will go thru recruitment- a little advice-
1. Always double check those GPA's
2. Try to think of something unique about yourself (we are all unique)
like me being from out of state- everyone remembered me
because of that and I know it helped me a lot.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DukeBlue
Re: AEPhi, etc:

I know that at my school, AEPhi has a group of women from all different religious backgrounds, and although their founders may have been Jewish, it's not known as a "Jewish sorority" here, I dunno about anywhere else.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:23 PM

Ok, here's my day two blast from the past.

Day Two:
I pretty much knew that Tri-Delta was going to drop me so when I didn’t see them on my list I wasn’t upset. I actually probably would’ve dropped them anyways. We could only go back to five and I had six to chose from. So, I made my decision to go back to Zeta, ADPi, Chi O, KD, and Pi Phi.
Zeta: The first house I go to and my favorite by far! We painted flower pots to give to breast cancer patients. I’m not very artistic but the girl who rushed me reassured me that she wasn’t either. The girls got up would rotate around us. I met so many girls today and they were all so great! I really, really hope I get asked back!
Chi O: I can’t even remember what we were supposed to make because I ended up just talking to the girl the whole time! But, I would’ve liked to meet more people and I didn’t get to. I like it here but I’m extremely excited about it.
Pi Phi: We made cards for the children who are in the hospitals. The girl who rushed me didn’t talk to me at all! She sat there and talked to her sister who was sitting next to her. I think the only thing she asked me was, “What’s your name?”
KD: The girl who rushed me was kinda mean. We had to make these caterpillars and work with hot glue. I’m kinda klutzy and I kept burning myself with the hot glue gun. The girl kept rolling her eyes back at me every time I did. I said to, “I guess I’m just not very artistic.” She said to me rudely, “Well, I am.” I was a little offended. I’d be really surprised if I get invited back.
ADPi: We had to color these pictures of lions. Probably the easiest project I had all day which I really liked because I’m not creative! I had wonderful conversations with every girl!

By the end of day two, I really liked Chi O, ADPi, and Zeta.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Unregistered-

Wink Re: It happened a long time ago

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmykimmy
But I will try to remember my experience. I went to a large mid-atlantic school with a HUGE greek system. 19 sororities.

Can't be Penn State. AGD still has their chapter there.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Re: KimmyKimmy...

KimmyKimmy: Come back and tell us where you rushed and what house you ended up in! Are you a KD? Is that why you never told your friends about the incident with your Rho Chi and going to pick up the invites?

Don't keep us in suspense...

Angela

Quote:
My rho chi didn't call me or anything. I wasn't humiliated I was pissed that my rho chi didn't call me to save me some humiliation. However, NO ONE knows this story. Not even my best friends.

My Rho Chi was a KD and I think she should have called me.

I'll tell you this, I did go greek and loved it.

Last edited by A-PhiAngel; 09-27-2001 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: It happened a long time ago

Quote:

And, since I graduated a million years ago, KKG, Pi Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, AGD and AZD lost their charters. All because of low numbers except for KKG who lost it b/c of pther problems. It's very competitive.
I bet ALL my money in the world that you went to University of Maryland College Park... ALL of it... infact im POSATIVE!! My sister goes there, shes an ADPi and they are in the old AGD house!

I dying to know what sorority you ended up joining!! Youre right, the greek system there is Competitive and sometimes VERY petty.. Ish!
Old 09-28-2001, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool kimmy come back

we're dying kimmy...
finish the story...
otherwise marvelous good posts ladies.
keep up the good work.
cheers
mmcat
Old 09-28-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Here's the rest of my story.

Going into 4-Party Day I was invited back to three houses: Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi. I was really surprised that I wasn't invited back to Alpha Phi because I have friends in that house and thought I would automatically get invited. Oh well. Kappa shocked (and still shocks!) me. The Kappas here are so pretty and popular, and they must have seen something good in me. The first party I went to was AX, and I absolutely LOVED that house. I hit it off with sooo many girls, and the one girl that rushed me was just like me. During their skit my friend who I marched with kept catching my eye while she sang on stage and smiled. I KNEW that I wanted to be AX when I left that house. I had that feeling that everyone talks about when they talk about rush. Next I went to Pi Phi. The day before I wasn't all that impressed with the girls since they were super quiet, but I was also there during the last party so we were all tired. The one thing that sticks out to me was the conversation with a now senior. Somehow we started talking about my friend who died a few monthes earlier and how my marching instructor wasn't very understanding. (Long story short. I had to miss a required trip to go to her funeral. He yelled at me for messing up the formation and lowered my grade for an "A" to a "C") She seemed genuinely concerned and upset for me! It was the best feeling in the world! I also go to talk to some of my other friends who were also in that house. I don't know if I've told my story, but the reason I wanted to rush was because of Pi Phi. Pi Phi may have small numbers, but during 4Party I discovered that they were all caring and down to earth. (Plus they had a cute skit!) Anyway, my last party was Kappa Kappa Gamma. Again I had a great conversation with the same girl from the night before. However, once I traded girls to watch the skit the conversation died. Their skit was hilarious though! I knew leaving that house that I would like to join but that I didn't think I would truly ever fit in. That night we all met with our Rho Chi's and I talked to mine about AX. I was afraid that I'd be cut, but she assured me that if I felt so strongly and felt a connection that they did too.

The next day I picked up my invitations to Pref Night. I was only invited back to Pi Phi. I can't describe in words how I felt when I wasn't invited back to AX. At that moment I really wanted to drop out. I liked Pi Phi a lot, but I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted. At that time I had my heart set on AX, but I decided to go to the Pref Party anyway. To make a long story short, I went to the party and loved it! I will never forget that night and how I cried. That night I truly saw the sisterhood that Pi Phi possess. I found out later after Bid Day that I was a rush crush of many Pi Phi's, and I am now glad that I took my bid. It's wonderful to know that I was wanted for who I am and not for anything else.

Well that's my story! I love hearing these. I hope ppl still continue to post their rush stories!
Old 09-28-2001, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
KimmyKimmy I am just dying to know what GLO you joined!! We are all in suspence!! please come back and let us know!! I can't wait to hear the rest of your story!!!

Nichole
Old 09-28-2001, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Erniegurl00 Aww that story was great! I'm glad to see that you didn't drop out and that you gave the pi phi's a chance. *Aren't you soo glad!!* I enjoyed hearing your story and I look forward to hearing many more!!

Nichole
Old 09-28-2001, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up erniegurl00, Sue_XO, & ZTAngel: Love your stories!

Thanks for sharing! These are fantastic stories!

Greek Love,
Jen