GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,417
0 members and 2,417 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Benzgirl: I know that you were not part of the campaign. I was reply to what you said right above. I'm sorry if you thought that I thought you were one of the the people who posted in a vile way.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wary View Post
Having said that, I offer this advice: If you are considering going through recruitment at a very competitive SEC or Big 12 school, like UT, do it as a freshman if at all possible.
I fixed your post. A lot of women would epic fail if they rushed at their schools as freshmen (at a school where they don't need to).

Please don't make blanket statements. People who tell you that (like me) have probably done it previously and realized they were wrong. It's not piling on, it's constructive criticism.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
ellebud, you might want to take a look at this thread. You might also want to know that the predecessor thread (start with posts here, but many posts have now been deleted) was one in which Wary was describing her daughter's experience with UT Spirit Club recruitment, despite being advised not to do this until after UT recruitment was over

The same UT GCer who advised Wary to hold off on the Spririt Club recruitment story warned Wary again that she should be careful, because people at UT might be able to identify Zoe from what was said, but Wary went right ahead and ignored the advice, passing along disaparaging reputations of some UT (unidentified) sororities in the process. Meanwhile, the GCer who had given the warning said there was indeed information Wary had shared that gave Texas insiders clues as to who Zoe might be, but to no avail. And things got heated.

I'm really sorry that Zoe's recruitment didn't work out for her, and I have no idea whether Wary's threads/posts had anything to do with that or not. But I can understand how some people might feel less sympathy, for Wary at least, when she ignored the advice she was given and went ahead, putting her daughter's stuff out there. And I think that's the part of the mom-phenomenon that lots of people just don't get.
what you perceived as a warning, i interpreted as a threat.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I don't think that was a threat. I've said pretty much the same thing many times (i.e. there are a ton of PA people on here so watch your step) - do you think those were threats too?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

if i do, i will let you know.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
I did read the thread. I don't get your point.
My point was that people advised her (initially without rudeness or flaming) that it was in her daughter's best interest that she not post the Spirit Clubs recruitment story until after NPC recruitment so that there would be no chance of anything affecting daughter's recruitment. For the most part, the rudeness came after Wary ignored this advice and was rude herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I get that, and I can understand in some ways why, but in context I just don't think it's accurate -- not when the "warning/threat" started out: "For her sake, please do it only after she goes through sorority recruitment." and "It will make her daughter easily identifiable during recruitment and that isn't a smart thing to do."

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-23-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Response to FSUZeta
Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Wary- I am sorry that your daughter's recruitment did not end up with bid. I admire the way she has picked herself up and moved on so quickly! I
Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Note: a warning is...if you wear a skirt that is too short you may be perceived in the wrong way.

A threat is: We know who you are. We have alerted people in power and they are taking care of it.

People can "advise" others of many things. Whether the advice is taken does and should not lead to abusive behavior. You can ignore the thread(s) and the person. You can get popcorn and watch. But to say that amorphous people are out that who know and we are turning her in.........no, its a threat....libel.....slander. It would be cya time.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Yowza, you go away for a while and all hell breaks loose!! Wary, good to hear your daughter is doing well. UT is a blast and good for her that she is involved and plugged in to the campus, whether in Greek life or not.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
A threat is: We know who you are. We have alerted people in power and they are taking care of it.
The only posts I saw were the "this could harm your chances" variety. If there were posts like you describe, I readily admit that I didn't see them and readily agree they are way out of line.

Meanwhile, clean out your PM box a little please.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The posts that I referred to were deleted by the moderators, I believe. You can see some responses from me that look a bit out of left field.

My pm box should work, but I'll check it.

You were right...cleaned out old messages. I'm sorry.

Last edited by ellebud; 08-23-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly never saw any direct threats on that thread. I'm sorry your daughter didn't find a chapter to join, Wary. Whether or not the shenanigans on GC had anything to do with it are open for debate. I think the take home lesson is don't put stuff out there that you don't want coming back at you. I've written back and forth with Wary. I don't think she meant to be offensive with her posts, but after the fact, she realized that it wasn't the best thing to post. You live and you learn.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I honestly never saw any direct threats on that thread. I'm sorry your daughter didn't find a chapter to join, Wary. Whether or not the shenanigans on GC had anything to do with it are open for debate. I think the take home lesson is don't but stuff out there that you don't want coming back at you. I've written back in forth with Wary. I don't think she meant to be offensive with her posts, but after the fact, she realized that it wasn't the best thing to post. You live and you learn.
I didn't really put much thought/ effort into the thread that Wary started but, it's really a shame that her lack of discretion could have hurt her daughter's chances. If that's the case--shame on anyone trying to live vicariously through their child by putting her beliefs/ thoughts out in cyberspace DURING recruitment.

Like I said, I didn't really pay much attention to who said what (as I don't generally get into recruitment threads too often) but, this is another reason why people should wait until AFTER recruitment before they feel the need to post about their recruitment experience. Once again, why does someone's mother have to come on GC and post someone else's (her daughter's) recruitment story?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Wary, I know you are so proud of how your daughter has picked herself up an moved on. Sorry recruitment didn't work out for her but it sounds like she has a great start to a great second year.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a huge difference in warning someone about the potential for a damaged recruitment (by "mom" posting here) and going all out and completely slaying the dragon. Creating user names to post on a thread, and having those user names mean something to Wary, so Wary knows that the poster knows who her child is is beyond super creapy. I am not going to sugar coat the situation. There is something really broken about what is going on here. This site should be about individuals that if Greek, honor their vows they took to their chapter and show a bit of honor and kindness. Not Greek? Then I guess it is what it is. The people who did this know who they are. And like I said earlier, Karma is circular. Here's to a bite smack on the center of your a$$.