GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,314
2 members and 2,312 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-15-2002, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
wearing letters

here's a question i think about alot.. how often do you wear letters? Chapter requirements and personal preference.
we are required during the school year to wear letters thursdays, and that is greek wide, every org does it that way. we usually wear letters every day for the first few weeks of school.. and i personally wear my letters one other day a week besides fridays.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2002, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiSigMeg01
Hmm, well our chapter does not require us to wear letters a certain day of the week, except right before Recruitment. Usually though, I personally wear my letters a lot, especially when it's cold out because I have a lot of lettered sweatshirts and my jacket. I don't have as many t-shirts, but I'll tell you, all those rush shirts and other event shirts with our letters on them are starting to add up
Old 07-15-2002, 12:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Organizations on my campus wear their letters on a certain day (like ASTs on Wed....etc.) But, I am gathering a lot of shirts....
Old 07-15-2002, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
On my campus all greeks wear their letters on wednesdays. Then also my chapter wears pin attire on mondays. Other than that I notice I wear my letters atleast one other day a week. Between formals, bid day, recruitment, and being willed letters I have collected a lot of them. I find that many of my t-shirts are letters. Then you can add that I wear my lavelier is worn almost every day.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Badge attire on Mondays...

Wednesdays you wear your letters.

Also I randomly wear my letters during the rest of the week. You get so many t-shirts that you have to keep them in your rotation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-15-2002, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Badge attire on Monday's also.

All greeks at my school wear actual letter shirts on Friday's and all of the event t-shirts sporadically.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Actual Conversation:

Daniel (VP of DeltaSig SDSU): "Stan, is there a day goes by that you're NOT wearing your letters?"

Stan: "umm....................no, not that I know of"

Unfortunate part is that I'm the only one who's like that. No one else sports letters regularly, partly because some don't OWN a letter sweater (don't ask me why not, they just don't)
Old 07-15-2002, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
This is unfortunate, but at my school a lot of people do not like to wear their letters to the first few weeks of school each semester, because they are afraid of their instructors writing them off for being in a GLO.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:34 AM
UMgirl

I personally wear my letters a lot to this day being an alum. If my lavaliere isnt around my neck 24/7 then its on my wrist. I also have about 15 shirts, just ordered a windbreaker, and I am about to order a long sleeve-fitted shirt from greek101. That's from being a collegian just one year! At my school I wouldnt say that letters were/are worn a lot, but you see them pretty often. The only designed days for all Greeks to wear their shirts are Greek Week and Go Greek shirts for the first 2 weeks of school. Going though one year at school you can accumlate this many at UM...

Go Greek Shirts
Rush Shirts (Fall and Winter)
Bid Day (Fall and Winter)
Barn Dance Shirt
Semi Formal Shirt
Date Party shirt (2)
Formal
LXA Watermelon Burst Shirt
EX Derby Days Shirt
DG Anchor Splash Shirt
Greek Week Shirt
Greek Move-In
Work Week
Theme Party shirts (lets say 3)
Thats 19 shirts one year if you wanted to buy them all and 76 total for 4 years. Not too mention the random stuff you buy on your own and other occassions like Senior Bar Crawl and Tailgates/Pre-Parties. No wonder you see a lof ot shirts on ebay
Greek Week Team Shirt
Old 07-15-2002, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

our chapter has us wear them on mondays, and then we have pin attire on thursdays wearing our pins. i hardly wear letters on mondays and rarely dress pin attire, i am just too lazy in the morning for my 9am classes to bother with anything besides sweats!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

used to be wendsdays but now just whenever. I wear like regular shirts, because when clean i wear them, but like I would chose any other shirt, unless was a special occsioions. Wear before/during rush to start atracting people but i don't think it helps much. No one ever joined an org thinking "their shirt said find us before your girlfriend does" so I better go find them"
Old 07-15-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

At my campus, Greeks wear letters ALL THE time. Thursdays are meeting and jersey days for everyone as well.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
Letters are not often seen at UMass- worn is another question entirely. You'll see a lot of letters around the School of Management, because most Greeks are students there, but on the rest of campus they're pretty rare- not really unexpected, though, since most people go to campus to go to class, and then immediately retreat to wherever they live. A lot of Greeks were them around the house and on the row. Never in the bars- wouldn't be proper attire.

Personally, I try not to wear them on campus. Greeks are a tiny minority here, and not well liked, and I'm in a college and a department where Greeks are rarer than most other places. I've had people refuse to talk to me because I had letters on- small-minded idiots, but small-minded idiots I need to co-exist with on a daily basis, so I do what's necessary.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cheque10
We're not required to wear letters except for Fall during formal recruitment. Then we usually all wear letters everyother day, and wear badge attire the other days. During the rest of the time, usually as a sisterhood we'll wear letters every couple Wednesday's. I will say that everyday you'll find at least 4 or 5 of us in letters. It just happens that's all we own. So we're always in them. I am almost constantly. Plus we all wear our lavaleers all the time too, so we always have them on.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
When I was in school, we had a day to wear letters. I think most GLOs on campus did, although the day of the week varied by chapter. Letters were pretty common, despite the fact the greeks were a definate minority. Windbreaker-type jackets with letters were really popular, so in the fall it seemed like everyone had those on all of the time!! Lavaliers were really popular, too.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be