GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,612
1 members and 1,611 guests
navane

Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsugar952
I think that is fair because there are a lot of people in NPHC/MGLO don't view IFC and NPC groups as real sororities and fraternities.
BrownSugar, that was very much on point and very much true! So as much as I hear people complaining about what Shinerbock is saying, it is no different than what I have heard people in NPHC/MCGLO and other groups say about NIC/NPC groups.

What goes around comes around.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man
BrownSugar, that was very much on point and very much true! So as much as I hear people complaining about what Shinerbock is saying, it is no different than what I have heard people in NPHC/MCGLO and other groups say about NIC/NPC groups.
Those people, if they are actually serious instead of just trying to clown, are idiots.

Regardless of people's opinions of the differences between the organizations, there is no denying that the NPHC, NIC, IFC, or whatever other umbrella organization does not have a monopoly over "fraternity and sorority."
Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Shortfuse, I'm afraid your attempt at a rational post came out poorly. I think what you're accusing me of is being ignorant because I don't view them as true greek organizations even when I haven't had a great deal of contact with them. Here is where literacy would be to your benefit. If you reread my posts, you'll see that on several occasions I note that my opinions are just that, and that they are based solely on what I have been exposed to. AT MY SCHOOL, NPHC groups are only the same or less likely to do charitable work. We don't really have any multi cultural groups, and if we do they obviously have little influence. On a similar note, the one or two local groups we have do not have any influence, prominant alumni, or history to speak of. Thus, I do not consider them on the same level with the large historic IFC and NPC groups who have all of those aforementioned qualities. I think my interpretation of NPHC groups, or classification, would have to be something more like "black greek life," because it is so distinctive from most IFC and NPC groups I've been around. If they want to term my way of greek life "white greek life" they can, although I imagine we've been at it longer. It is all based on perspective, so my interpretation of what greek life is need not offend anyone, as it is not intended to do so.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
I think my interpretation of NPHC groups, or classification, would have to be something more like "black greek life," because it is so distinctive from most IFC and NPC groups I've been around. If they want to term my way of greek life "white greek life" they can, although I imagine we've been at it longer. It is all based on perspective, so my interpretation of what greek life is need not offend anyone, as it is not intended to do so.
Most of the NPHC groups have been around for close to 100 yrs now. Im not sure how long your org has been around but there is a lot of tradition with NPHC groups as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I imagine they do have plenty of history and tradition.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't imagine....KNOW that they do.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

No thanks, I'll just continue to imagine. The functioning and history of NPHC groups isnt of overwhelming interest to me anyhow.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

The "elitism" that you attempt to show in your posts often comes through as provincial "ignorance."
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The functioning and history of NPHC groups isnt of overwhelming interest to me anyhow.

It's amazing how racisim and elitism forms itself into subtle arenas. ...To change your opinion and/or increase your knowledge so that you can EXPOSE yourself to something other than you've seen, why don't you actually try doing some research....each organization in the NPHC has a NATIONAL website with their history...try taking a look. I may not be interested in joining a NPC or IFC organization, but that doesn't stop me from learning what they are about and what they do!

Ignorance is just a small word to describe your view/opinion.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes you're correct, I'm ignorant and racist. The fact that you accuse me as such simply displays to me that you are not only ignorant, but incapable of rational thought. I realize that literacy may not come naturally to you, but if you glance above you'll notice that I said I believed those organizations did have plenty of history. I'm not in them, so I wouldn't know exactly what that entails. Doing some research wouldn't really help either, seeing as my Kappa Sig friends claim they were founded in Biblical times, so I don't really accept overly much that I don't experience for myself. Also, I really don't care that much. I have other things to concern myself than extensive research of groups I'm not that concerned with. I'm sure they will continue on just fine without my interest. Sure, you can call that ideology "ignorance," but if not blanketly accepting what I'm given is "ignorance" then I'm proud to be termed as such. How exactly does this make me racist? Because when I think greek I think IFC and NPC? Well then fine, call me racist. I'm also a Republican and against Affirmative Action, so why don't you go ahead and tack on bigot to your unfounded classification of my personality. The kind of comments you've displayed remind me of the intellectual brilliance shown through comments like "George Bush hates black people." Keep up the good work.

Last edited by shinerbock; 07-09-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

To respond to your last statement...

For your information, I am very much a supporter of our current Commander-in-Chief, President George Bush! And no, I am not in the group of African-Americans/Blacks who have made and/or necessarily agree/disagree with the statement "George Bush hates black people".

But to the issue at hand, my point was before stating that only IFC and NPC organizations are the only TRUE greek organizations, whether it is of interest to you or not, RESEARCH will show you that NPHC organizations are very much TRUE greek organizations and do more than just party and socialize. As you have mentioned, your opinions were formed based on what you were exposed to. I'm asking you/more like presenting to you, go beyond your exposure level...branch out, research....That will help you in your irrational thought process!

You don't have to become a part of an organization to inquire about their activities, their service, their history. Of course, in all things there are some things that will not be available to the public...however, there is no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't help you see "the big picture", eliminating the clouds that stand in front of you.

For your information check out the founding dates for the NPHC organizations:
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Cornell University, 1906
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Howard University, 1908
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Indiana University, 1911
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Howard University, 1911
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Howard University, 1913
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Howard University, 1914
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Howard University, 1920
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Butler University, 1922
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Morgan State University, 1963

Role models, community activists, entertainers, politicians, relationship builders, life changers, physicians, lawyers, etc....all have emerged through the influence that members of these organizations have had and will continue to have.

So my question to you...what makes the NPHC organizations any less GREEK than IFC/NPC organizations?

Last edited by f8nacn; 07-09-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it when someone makes a personel statement about not knowing anything about a specfic GLO grouping, the Race/Bigot card is thrown on the table.

I am always amazed by who throws it out first. Well, not really.

There is a difference, ideas, and thoughts of different GLOs will vary.

Congratulations on many NPHC GLOs who have been around for @ 100 Years.

But, some of the IFC/PHC GLOs have been around longer.

Now why dont some of you tell me about those histories.

Tit for tat as it were!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

You continue to not understand what my statements were regarding...I have continuously stated that these are merely my opinions of what a "true greek life" is. Just as I think most greek life in the north east isn't the same as what I consider greek life, it is also different amongst NPHC groups. I'm not saying they are "lesser" greek organizations, I'm saying I don't really view them as greek organizations. When I think of greek life, I think of classic, historic groups of men and women on major campuses who use their time in the organization to form valuable bonds and to act almost as a sort of cotillion, to bring them up into a classy and mature adult world. I am sure that many good and successful people come from NPHC groups. I'm trying to think of a comparison...alright...when we (southern people) refer to greek life at big universities, there is often confusion. People will think we are referring to any state school, such as Oswego State, Wisconsin, etc, when in actuality we have taken the phrase "big state school" to refer only to the big SEC greek schools where classic greek life thrives. Likewise, I have somewhat taken "greek" to mean what I consider to be the truest form of greek life. Now that may sound selfish or narcisistic, and it might be, but it is just my opinion. Doing so makes no statements about NPHC groups, other than they are quite different than any greek organization I would be interested in joining. I know this is probably confusing, but it is just difficult for me to refer to NPHC groups as in the same overall catagory as my GLO, as I'm sure it may be weird for NPHC members to include themselves in any catagory with me. I think a phrase like student life groups would be helpful for me...
Old 07-09-2006, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When I think of greek life, I think of classic, historic groups of men and women on major campuses who use their time in the organization to form valuable bonds and to act almost as a sort of cotillion, to bring them up into a classy and mature adult world.
My last comment (or at least I will try) many NPHC organizations do what you have mentioned above...
Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

While I didn't fully understand your comment, I assume you meant that NPHC groups fit that description. You have knowledge of about it, so I assume you're right on some levels. However, I didn't know they put emphasis on that "cotillion" like education that I was referring to. We try and prepare our guys for lives in professional fields, as our alumni include congressmen, attorneys and corporate execs. While I have no doubt that black fraternity create attorneys and the like, the ones on my campus didn't seem to place the emphasis on that type of training like the IFC fraternities do. But again, that was just my impression. I'll keep you posted after I get in the legal world, perhaps I'll work with some black professionals who attribute it to their NPHC group.