GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Beta Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,203
4 members and 2,199 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 03-23-2002, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

PBS hazing victim sues

Ex-student at NSU sues frat, member over hazing
By LOU MISSELHORN, The Virginian-Pilot
© March 21, 2002

NORFOLK -- Michlen Robinson has painful memories of fraternity life at Norfolk State University: paddle swats on his backside, double-fisted punches to his chest and a two-week hospital stay for a punctured lung.

In a lawsuit filed this month in Circuit Court, Robinson says he was a hazing victim of Phi Beta Sigma on Sept. 21, 2000. He's suing the national fraternity group and a local chapter member for $500,000.

Criminal charges were never filed, and Robinson left school soon after the alleged assault.

But the incident that September night has left a lasting impression at the school.

The fraternity's national organization, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., booted the local chapteroff campus that December amid reports of hazing.

Then, in November 2001, one of the victims who left NSU and transferred to Towson State University in Maryland filed a police report there. He told police that Sigma members from Norfolk drove to his new school to assault him again.

Since then, four Norfolk State students, including three Sigma members, have been expelled, school officials said.

The Maryland incident may have been payback after the fraternity was removed from campus, said Larry Curtis, NSU vice president for student affairs.

``I've never seen anything like this -- not in my five years here,'' Curtis said.

Robinson's legal complaint marks at least the fourth claim of hazing in three years at South Hampton Roads universities. In each case, someone was hospitalized or died.

Reliable national statistics on hazing incidents are unavailable.

State law classifies hazing as a misdemeanor and requires colleges to expel students who ``cause bodily injury.''

At Norfolk State, fraternities' members must vow in writing that they won't take part in hazing, Curtis said.

Robinson was being initiated into the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity in September 2000. Norfolk State does not allow fraternity houses on campus, though members sometimes live together off campus.

Fraternity members used their hands and wooden paddles to assault Robinson, according to court papers. The lawsuit names the defendants as the fraternity and Curtis Anderson, a former student and group member.

About a dozen pledges were lined up, assaulted and berated for several hours, said Robinson's attorney, John Watts.

Part of the abuse was dished out in ``thunderclaps'' -- two-fisted punches that Robinson believes punctured his lung, Watts said.

Watts agreed to be interviewed on behalf of Robinson. He said his client never told police or university officials of the incident because he was embarrassed.

Anderson was in charge of pledging and is the only individual named in the lawsuit because Robinson didn't know the others' names, Watts said. He no longer attends Norfolk State, according to school officials, and could not be reached for comment.

Although no police report was filed, the parent fraternity learned of the hazing allegations, and by December 2000, the chapter was suspended.

``The list of violations in this undergrad chapter are (too) numerous to mention,'' reads an e-mail, dated Dec. 4, 2000, to Scherod Barnes, 21st Eastern regional director for Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.

The Virginian-Pilot obtained a copy of the correspondence from the school through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The students confirmed they were ``paddled, kicked and punched,'' according to the e-mail. They also were denied study time and sleep and forced to run errands during all hours of the night.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2002, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This is why we should get rid of undergrads. there won't be a fraternity around much longer.

Blueknowledge
Old 03-26-2002, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
And this is why we shouldn't get rid of undergrads. With all due respect why are you going to judge these brothers over what an outsider wrote about them. Have you talked to any of them? Do you know the details of the situation? Of course you don't because of the comment you made. Yes I am very passionate about this situation because these brothers aren't just my frat they are my friends. I am not a member of the Norfolk State chapter but the Old Dominion chapter about 10 miles down the street. And of course everyone thinks we are guilty of the same actions. What we do is frat bussiness and no one elses so I won't get into that here but this article is very one sided. I wonder if the fact that I am still an undergrad I am able to truly analyse the article. Maybe you'll find it interesting that my chapters advisor as well as the director of greek affairs at my school were interviewed for the article but none of their comments were entered. They left out the fact that my chapter has no incidents of hazing, have the highest GPA for fraternitities on our campus (black or white) and are nominated for numerous awards in this years local NAACP Image Awards and Student Activites Awards. We need to check ourselves in these situations. Just getting rid of undergrads is as dumb of an idea as getting rid of pledging was. Look at the result, was anything solved. Nope. We are too quick to say lets just get rid of _________ (I leave it blank because soon after undergrads it will be something else) instead of fixing the problem. I've said it numerous times this is the same as freedom of speach debates. Instead of taking mentor responsibility we would rather just get rid of undergrads. I feel everyone with this view should think twice about why they became a Sigma. If I offended anyone tough I feel strongly about this. My father pledged so why shouldn't I. He never killed anyone why would I.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy, it's time to let the past go. You are right: let's not talk about this on the Web. But you know that even the most organized sets can be ruined by one uncontrollable person.

Seriously, whether the story is 100% correct or not, the fact is, is that the undergrads will eventually lead to the bankrupting of the frat.

It's time to reorganize the frat!

Blueknowledge

The only way I would keep undergrads around is if every undergrad chapter was ended and became part of a graduate chapter. Then, when it came time for new members, I would ONLY allow the graduate brothers to select the new members/ (the undergrads from that, or any other campus, would NOT have a voice.) That's what has lead to the system we have today.

Brother legacy,

I will be at the Eastern Regional conference and I hope to meet you face to face. I can talk to you about this matter, and as brothers, we can find consensus.

PEACE
Old 03-26-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I simply can't understand what happened. One day did everyone decide to start injuring people or is it just that my generation is all messed up. Mmmm No. Could someone tell me what's the difference in 2002 & 1972. So many people say pledging is bad (pledging not hazing) but then talk about the good old days. There is definately a difference in pledging and hazing and why is that not shown to undergrads. It's not shown because instead of trying to standardize pledging we shunned it. Have you ever heard of anything happening to new initiates at the graduate level. I know of grad chapters who pledge harder than undergrads. But my state's law identifies it as hazing when it is done to a college student. WOW!!!!

Recently there is a new organization on my campus. Sigma Lambda Upsilon Sorority Incorporated. They pledge above ground nationally. They are pledged by undergrad and grad alike. Their regional director was here marching the girls around. Have they had any deaths or major injuries. No. What is a difference in them and what happened at Norfolk State? There were no graduate brothers at Norfolk State.

Brother Knowledge:

I will be trying to attend the regional conference if I can raise the money I am a undergrad. I will be travelling with my school's graduate chapter and they said they would help me out.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to D-Train
Bros., Regardless of how we feel, the undergraduate chapters are the lifeline of the fraternities. If they fall, we all fall.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this Norfolk U. story has any merit or not.

I agree with Bro. D-Train. We should never consider getting rid of our undergrad chapters. However, Graduate Chapters must do a better job of assisting Undergrads with not only membership issues, but other "frat" matters as well.

I am not suggesting that Undergrad Chapters should not have their independence (because they should) but Grad Chapters have an obligation to make sure that Undergrad Brothers; 1) Understand certain procedures and 2) Follow those procedures, especially in situtations where the Frat could be adversely affected.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Let Us Be Leaders

Brother D-Train,

Stop spouting normative statements from the book. Yes, you memorized the material on how things ought to be. But my brother, this is a post-modern world, and we need not be afraid of deconstructing our world and defining a new existence. I can assure you, that as long as the conditions of poverty exist, there will always be Sigma whose cause will speed on.

It is time that we transform Sigma into a purely civic and professional leadership organization. Let us be leaders in a new world, instead of followers of a social construct that will lead to our extinction.

Blueknowledge
Old 03-27-2002, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Modern, maybe but last time I checked Keegan wasn't frat. Our purpose should be the same as it was when we were founded. Did our founders see us progressing? Of course. Are we? No. A question I give to us all when was the last time there was a discussion on Greekchat, Collegeclub, or any where else about how great a program was. Isn't that something that's holding us down. I've done about 50 posts in the last few months ranging from parties to projects but why aren't there any responses. Brothers said they were concerned with parties when they were in college but I ask why. Because they needed funds for this & that. I asked back in May what does it take to make a successful caberet and you know how many responses I got. 1 Thanks Soror. Now heres what grad chapter is going to say. You need to throw this service project & let's help these kids over here but wait I need to pay for my books, food, gas, dues, regionals, clothes, BILLS, and wait I'm working 40hrs while taking 18 credit hours. But I'm at fault for everything wrong in our organization. I'm an undergrad I have alot on my shoulders and who's here to help me be the best damn Sigma I can(grad chapter should be). Luckily my father (Sigma Spr 80) and my mother (Zeta Fall 79) help me & my chapter know how to be good Sigmas. One could say it doesn't take money to voluteer just time. There is but so much you can do without money. And if you look around everyone is doing those projects. Sigma wasn't designed to be just another group out there doing the status quo. Our programs SWWAC, SATAP, SADA and so on our one step higher than what else is out there. But undergrads are at fault because we aren't elevated as high as grad chapters are with our programming. If we were what would the purpose of grad chapters be. We expect you to be one step higher. We throw a party to raise money for the chapter you throw a party to raise money for a scholarship. You see where I'm going with this. Put yourselves back in our shoes for a hot minute and maybe you can see the life of an undergrad isn't that easy.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to D-Train
Brother Knowledge, Since I haven't picked up the book in a while , I guess I can't spout normatives. But, what I have done is made the sacrifice to stay a financial brother since my initiation and try to develop a close bond with my local undergrads that I may aid them when the time comes. Like I said earlier, If They fall, We ALL fall
Old 04-10-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down legacypbs

you skatin bastard....
Old 04-10-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy my bad legacyPBS

my bad frat....I meant to say BLUEKNOWLEDGE is skatin bastard!
Old 04-10-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

We need to stop acting like kids. First and foremost taking cheap shots at one another is not fraternal. We all wear the same letters across our chest and pay the same amount each year. We can continue to bitch & complain on greek chat or we can discuss this face to face. I will be at Eastern Regionals so I look forward to meet you all there.

GOMAB
Old 04-10-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Am always willing to meet you Schizo

Hey schizo,

I am always willing to meet you personally. And, I will be more than happy to listen to you call me a "skater" like a man to my face. But my brother, let me be clear, make sure your health insurance is up to date. In fact, if you would like, I would be more than happy to fly you to regionals or to the conclave and we can settle this issue. So, please, little girl, let me know, as I am more than willing to speed your journey to Omega chapter. GOMAB
Old 04-11-2002, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Brothers,

It appears as if things are getting a little touchy here. The incident which originally prompted someone to start this thread was very serious.

However, the discussions have gradually deteriorated to the point where some are feeling that it is necessary to intentionally insult others.

Please remember that others are reading these posts. Let's keep it fraternal. After all, if we all saw each other in person (and just had colors on) I suspect it would be all brotherly love (until we introduced ourselves.)

My point!!! Stop the madness!!!!

GOMAB

Last edited by Six_Three_Sigma; 04-11-2002 at 05:46 PM.