GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,364
2 members and 1,362 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Xi Phi View Post
Not usually. Most NPHC orgs have rules against that.
OK. If they do, that answers the question.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've seen Alpha Phi Omega (the co-ed service fraternity)l on a few cases get shoved onto the greek council, but as you said campuses with a small number of social greeks. The "if you pledge, you end up on the council" rule. However I've not seen any Alpha Phi Omega chapter where that has let to limitations on who can join.
Like I said, I don't have first-hand experience with it. It seems, though, like the difference could be that APO is a (co-ed) service fraternity, so requiring it to be part of IFC is really trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. In that case, it would make no sense to anyone to limit dual membership.

Phi Mu Alpha, on the other hand, is a social fraternity, albeit not a general fraternity like most other NIC/IFC fraternities and not a member of the NIC. While I think there are some instances of schools saying "you're a social fraternity, so you need to be in IFC," there are also instances of chapters deciding they want to be in IFC because it is a good fit for them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Like I said, I don't have first-hand experience with it. It seems, though, like the difference could be that APO is a (co-ed) service fraternity, so requiring it to be part of IFC is really trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. In that case, it would make no sense to anyone to limit dual membership.

Phi Mu Alpha, on the other hand, is a social fraternity, albeit not a general fraternity like most other NIC/IFC fraternities and not a member of the NIC. While I think there are some instances of schools saying "you're a social fraternity, so you need to be in IFC," there are also instances of chapters deciding they want to be in IFC because it is a good fit for them.
And my guess is that there are situations on the IFC where Phi Mu Alpha would be the only dual membership group to the entire rest of the council, but in the cases where Alpha Phi Omega ends up on the council, you've got the Social Fraternities, the Social Sororities, APO, KKY, TBS and probably others...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
For Delta the prohibition is only for another NPHC or NPC sorority. And in fact it says is now or ever have been--meaning if you denounced your previous sorority you still cannot join Delta.

Other social, service, professional, cultural, etc. --fine.
You have been the only person to answer this question.
The other threads become very intense lol
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1992 View Post
One of my sisters who I am very close to is considering dropping and pursuing another greek organization later. We are in a npc sorority and the organization she wants to join is a part of NALFO. I know there are rules against joining another npc sorority but is there a rule about joining another sorority in a different council? I want to convince her not to drop and I feel that I would be more successful if I had some facts to back me up.
I have actually known a couple of women to do that.
It is actually allowed (mostly)
Just wait the full calendar year and everything should be fine.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquePink View Post
I have actually known a couple of women to do that.
It is actually allowed (mostly)
Just wait the full calendar year and everything should be fine.
What about people who join two NPHC orgs at different schools? *true story*
Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOcalypz View Post
What about people who join two NPHC orgs at different schools? *true story*
*boggles*
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
*boggles*
For reals?! How did THAT happen? I can't believe no one Googled that girl.

And please note that I have a friend who is a member of an NPC sorority, but whose mother is a member of an NPHC. She said offhandedly to me one day in college, "Well, it's not like they REALLY cross-reference the lists. I'll just join [NPHC] grad chapter after college."

We now are over 15 years out of school, and she's never had the nerve to try, which I think is a wise choice in the age of technology.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a problem we've run into:

A guy was a part of a newly recolonized chapter of XYZ at School A. He was expelled within a semester because he failed to pay the entirety of his dues and was never registered with XYZ headquarters, despite the fact that he went through initiation.

This guy then transfers to School B and attempts to begin the colonization process of ABC.

Both ABC & XYZ are a part of the NIC.

Now, because he was never a registered member of XYZ, is he allowed to be an ABC?

(in case you're just curious what happened to him, he's already been banned from being a member of ABC due to some other issues)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Technically, he's allowed since he is not a technical member of XYZ, but I think he would probably fail to be picked up by any other group under the Douchebag Rule.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
For Delta the prohibition is only for another NPHC or NPC sorority. And in fact it says is now or ever have been--meaning if you denounced your previous sorority you still cannot join Delta.

Other social, service, professional, cultural, etc. --fine.
Where does it say this? I'm just curious because on their national website it says," If you are a member of another organization holding membership in the National Pan-Hellenice Council, Inc. or in the Panhellenic Conference Inc., you are not eligible." It says nothing about if you disaffiliated and are no longer a member.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerbal11 View Post
Where does it say this? I'm just curious because on their national website it says," If you are a member of another organization holding membership in the National Pan-Hellenice Council, Inc. or in the Panhellenic Conference Inc., you are not eligible." It says nothing about if you disaffiliated and are no longer a member.
There is no "disaffiliation" in our vernacular. In our language, you are considered a member of your organization for life even if you do not remain active or "denounce" your letters. If you have been initiated in any other NPHC or NPC organization, you are not eligible for membership in Delta. I am a recent initiate and trust me, it was emphasized.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerbal11 View Post
Interesting, this is the first mention of the interaction between memberships in the NPC and NPHC that I've seen. I expected that you couldn't be Chi O and Delta Sigma Theta, but nice to see it in writing.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I Changed my Mind ..

I was a zeta interest for 2 years but during the last 6 months I have realized that I am not a Zeta phi beta woman at heart. I read the book In Search of sisterhood over the summer and my eyes were opened and heart is wanting to be a member of DST. Out of a pure moment of craziness I wrote a very detailed letter to the women of DST expressing my interest in their organization and explained why I am no longer interested in ZPhiB and with shaking hands pressed send! I was never rejected by the Zetas, this is my first semester eligible to be a member of any sorority. I also expressed in the letter that I have ruin all my chances to be a member of anything but DST by sending that letter. I am wondering what do you think my chances are of being considered to be a member of DST? Even if I'm not considered I will not be pledging anything at, I just want to know your thoughts on this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&&Confused View Post
I was a zeta interest for 2 years but during the last 6 months I have realized that I am not a Zeta phi beta woman at heart. I read the book In Search of sisterhood over the summer and my eyes were opened and heart is wanting to be a member of DST. Out of a pure moment of craziness I wrote a very detailed letter to the women of DST expressing my interest in their organization and explained why I am no longer interested in ZPhiB and with shaking hands pressed send! I was never rejected by the Zetas, this is my first semester eligible to be a member of any sorority. I also expressed in the letter that I have ruin all my chances to be a member of anything but DST by sending that letter. I am wondering what do you think my chances are of being considered to be a member of DST? Even if I'm not considered I will not be pledging anything at, I just want to know your thoughts on this.

We do not discuss membership on this forum. I suggest you continue to research, and look around your specific campus/community for the answers you seek. It will make your life easier. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93413