GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,474
0 members and 2,474 guests
No Members online

Old 04-10-2002, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink small chapter issues

I am a kappa at marist college and we have a really small chapter here. i am currently the new member chair and i was VPO last semester. our chapter consists of about 50-60 girls. our recruitment usually only leaves us with about 8-12 new members. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there who has small chapters and what problems that arise from being so small during recruitment and the new member period. thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-10-2002, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey I'm in a small chapter also I think we have aroun 70-80 girls now. The only thing we have ever had problems with is the amount of responsibility placed on new and younger sister. But end the end this ends up being positive for the chapter and creating strong leadership skills early.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Small chapter at Babson College (MA)

I advise the Zeta Alpha chapter at Babson College in Massachusetts, and we are at capacity around 44-48 women. Our average Fall New Member class is around 10-15 women, and our average Spring New Member class is around 8-10 women, though sometimes less, depending upon chapter Ceiling.

In my experience, small chapter don't have MORE issues than large chapters... just DIFFERENT issues.

For example, women are asked to take on a number of overlapping offices and responsibilites, often. Also, we find that our officers are younger than officers in other chapters, since we pretty much need everyone to pitch in all the time.

KappaGal makes a good point--this does often make for incredibly strong Seniors...but it can also lead to early burn-out which is an issue the Zeta Alpha chapter definitely faces from time to time.

Has anyone had any luck with any particular strategies that apply to small chapters? Kappas and non-Kappas alike are encouraged to share any small chapter ideas!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Being in a small chapter can have its disadvantages. Senior year I was way overloaded but had to take on an office because there was no one else. Somewhere, though, possibly in the VPO notebook??? is a list of ways you can condense offices. A smaller chapter, though, also means more contact with officers and sisters.

Recruitment is always a challenge, but there are ways around it. My collegiate chapter "borrowed" members from a nearby chapter, because they were at 5 members during rush and it was do or die time. The visiting chapter helped them get 10 more members, and they're graduating 2. An added bonus: ZE (Lawrence) now has great friends at X (Minnesota).

Last edited by KappaStargirl; 04-19-2002 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to vukkg
Arrow Small Chapter

Hi everyone,
I'm from Eta Delta Chapter at Valparaiso Univeristy. We, too, have a small chapter (although the largest of 7 on campus!!). We are at quota at 63 members. We also have a very young council. Another issue that we struggle with is not having a house. All sororities on campus live in a common dorm, with wings assigned to each sorority. While we love our Korridor, not everyone lives there, especially the seniors and 2 newest classes. Any ideas from other chapters without houses as to how you promote sisterhood? Also, I'm new member ed chair and looking for ideas to teach the new girls about kappa, being a relatively new chapter we don't have an existing model to go by...any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks ladies....
<3 Loyally <3,
vukkg
Old 02-08-2003, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Girls,

I've been looking at your postings on how small your chapters are and yes they are small compared to American standards.

I'm from Zeta Omega Chapter, which is in Waterloo. We are currently operating with operating with 16 actives and 4 new members this term.....

The problem with the University of Waterloo is it has a world renowned co-op system.....so many of our sister's are gone during regular school terms and are back during the summer....we aren't active unfortunately during the summer , wish we were though....

We seem to do well with a small chapter partly because everyone knows each other, everyone gets a sayand there's much better bonding in Kore Group competitions. This is because there's only 3-4 of us in groups....also whoever does go on co-op, when they come back we get them them reacquainted with things in Kappa by trying to fit them into a position.

Having a small chapter creates other problems, such as some sister's getting burdened with 2 positions or even more.....but it shows what our chapter is made of......and we're still here.... next year is our 10 year anniversary! But the girls end up developing valuable leadership skills, right after they've initiated. I just initiated last term, and currently the recording Secretary, all members have a position except for Special Actives and New Members.

Need more info or help regarding small chapters email me at green_may@hotmail.com

Loyally,

Hani
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Re: Small Chapter

Quote:
Originally posted by vukkg
Hi everyone,
I'm from Eta Delta Chapter at Valparaiso Univeristy. We, too, have a small chapter (although the largest of 7 on campus!!). We are at quota at 63 members. We also have a very young council. Another issue that we struggle with is not having a house. All sororities on campus live in a common dorm, with wings assigned to each sorority. While we love our Korridor, not everyone lives there, especially the seniors and 2 newest classes. Any ideas from other chapters without houses as to how you promote sisterhood? Also, I'm new member ed chair and looking for ideas to teach the new girls about kappa, being a relatively new chapter we don't have an existing model to go by...any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks ladies....
<3 Loyally <3,
vukkg
Well, we're definitely not small- 120 girls strong and going through informal recruitment at the moment. We know the unhoused problem very well, though. (Especially since as Kappa's newest chapter, we're still working on meeting our sisters!) We've taken to having dinner before chapter a few nights a month, as well as doing small projects in our Kores at chapter. If space for the dinner is a problem, you might see if a housed fraternity would let you borrow their facilities for an evening, or use a conference room in the student union. We've done both.

Also, a lot of comittees and Kores get together to do stuff together that isn't work. Just recently, our Marshal was able to get her hands on free movie passes, so the ritual comittee got together and went out to dinner and a movie.

I hope either of those ideas help.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Small Chapters

One way that we have greater sister bonding is Kore Group Competitions.

Past activities include:
1. ...making a box and decorating it. Each group is suppose to donate all there loose change and place it into the box. At the end of a semester or term...the money is donated to a charity.

2. ...each group has a presentation that they're supposed to do about something a girl or anyone for that matter has to deal with such as STD's, relationships, eating disorders...

3. ... making a mascot for each group out of a styrofoam ball....these have been quite hilarious to look at during presentations....and have been enjoyable to do....

Many groups have made it a weekly thing such as we'll meet at this time for breakfast every week to get the project done...etc.

Loyally,

Hani
Old 02-09-2003, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

ahhh! HANI!

Yes, the mascots were great - Peacock totally won though!

Last edited by kappaloo; 01-27-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Yeah, I giggle when I hear 50-60 women described as "small." Here at Lawrence, total is 50. Quota is usually 10, and we're right now at 20. The other two chapters are around 35 and 45, respectively.

But the reason I posted on this is really to announce that this morning we moved from 15 actives and 5 new members to 20 actives! Yep, we had 5 wonderful, beautiful women take their vows this morning. I'm thrilled to call each of them my sister. We'll be doing some informal recruitment at the start of spring term, so wish us luck!

Delsigmata,
KKC