GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 975
2 members and 973 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Social Media AFTER Recruitment

I know there are lots of posts reminding/warning/educating PNMs they need to clean up their social media. That is fantastic advice. For the love of God though I wish these young women would continue to heed that advice and keep their social media clean AFTER recruitment. Debbie has friends who attend universities throughout the US and a large majority went through recruitment. Some have the most adorable pictures of bid day, new member events, etc. Then there are these girls:

1. Twitter pic of themselves in their new sorority's tank/tshirt making the sorority's symbols - very cute and excited.
2. Twitter bio of themselves stating they are ABC Sorority - wonderful, be proud of who you are.
3. Twitter pics of themselves drinking out of beer bongs or something that looks like a beer octopus (don't know what it's called but that's what it looks like) before the first college FB game - WHY?!
4. Tweets talking about how f-ed up they got, how hungover they are, how they can't remember last night, etc. - Again too much information. Do you really think this makes you look good?
5. Twitter pics of the girls dressed for the night out all extending a certain finger and it's not the finger Beyonce sings about either.

I'm not stupid and I'm not old fashioned (really) and I know kids do these things but girls (new and old members) PLEASE BE SMART. In this day of social media employers are searching for you on the internet and what they see is not necessarily a prime interview candidate much less a new hire. Even when you delete something on the internet after your alcohol daze is over nothing is ever permanently deleted from the internet. Bluntly - don't be stupid, think a little. Learn from us old folks and think short-term AND long-term, big picture.

Off my soapbox. Back to normal programming.

Last edited by Lovethesand; 09-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethesand View Post
or something that looks like a beer octopus (don't know what it's called but that's what it looks like)
Hmmm that's new.

Also, for the love of all that is Holy, please put profiles/twitter accounts/instagram on private. Just... please.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-03-2013, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Having a Social Media Moderator in the chapter is very helpful for "Checks and Balances". They can work alongside the Personnel/Standards Chair.

I realize some members will create a 2nd profile to brag about their stupidness. The member (who chooses to publicize her unflattering exploits) would have to make that account private so the Moderator couldn't access it.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM

I was active back in the very start of FB (my school got FB my junior year) and there was the initial 2 years of "everybody posting stupid stuff" where there was much talk of "policing" FB and having to contact members re: things posted on FB.

I can't believe that we're coming up on like, 10 years of FB and this is still a thing.

I tend to approach FB from the lens of employment, these days. I like to tell the active collegians I work with the story of a professor Facebooking her daughter's first grade teacher and her profile pic coming up as her bonging a beer as a Miller Lite Girl. Long story short, she no longer works for that district.

The moral of the story was to say that this girl may have been a GREAT teacher, but her social media presence tanked it for her. Like it or not, if people don't KNOW you, they only "know" you based on what you put out there.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting article on Social Media in general. Especially about parents and their children

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...break_anchor_2
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring break for Debbie has finished and she's back to school. She was looking at friends pics of spring break and I cringed at my "favorite":

2 young men hugging a very inebriated young woman, all holding some type of alcoholic beverage. What really made the pic stand out were the enormous hickies (is that the plural?) on both men's necks.

Like I tell Debbie all the time: it is expected that you'll make stupid mistakes but PLEASE try to limit the stupid as much as you can.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in "the day" - the early 90s - we were told to never have a beverage of any kind visible in pics. We'd put them down or behind our backs.

Ditto cigarettes.

And that was true in all the sororities.

Not saying we didn't drink or smoke, but we sure didn't document it.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

That's not a sorority thing, it's a LIFE thing. Just put the glass down. It's really not that much of a burden to go 5 seconds without the glass in your hand for a picture that will live forever. Unless the beverage is the most important thing in the picture, in which case take a picture of the beverage and leave yourself out of frame.