GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,366
1 members and 1,365 guests
FSUZeta

Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Random Wedding Thread

Random things related to Weddings, whether if you're a bride, bridesmaid, horrified spectator, relative, or just like KSUViolet06's stories!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to a bridal fair last weekend and there were all kinds of tables set up, the most horrifying was the Arbonne table. I also had some good laughs with a friend over books of invitations, particularly the Disney Cinderella and Precious Moments ones.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
If I ever received a Disney-themed or god forbid a Precious Moments-themed wedding invitation, I would not go on principle. I'm not sure I'd even send a gift.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I went to a bridal fair last weekend and there were all kinds of tables set up, the most horrifying was the Arbonne table. I also had some good laughs with a friend over books of invitations, particularly the Disney Cinderella and Precious Moments ones.
Haha why was the Arbonne table was horrifying?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
If I ever received a Disney-themed or god forbid a Precious Moments-themed wedding invitation, I would not go on principle. I'm not sure I'd even send a gift.
My friend killed me, she was judging the sample menus with the invitations "I wouldn't go to the reception with these food options, GROSS!" There was also a book FULL of invitations that incorporated pictures of the couple, but the most horrific to me was the envelope option. On the inside flap was a GIANT picture of the couple, and another had a tile effect of the happy couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
Haha why was the Arbonne table was horrifying?
I've never seen Arboone as anything but a Pyramid scheme and I can understand a makeup artist for the wedding, but not buying into the sales pitch for a job. For my sister OTW: Reach the Arbonne!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I've never seen Arboone as anything but a Pyramid scheme and I can understand a makeup artist for the wedding, but not buying into the sales pitch for a job. For my sister OTW: Reach the Arbonne!
I've been approached many times by friends and acquaintances trying to get me to buy their Arbonne crap. I also find myself proclaiming "REACH THE ARBONNE!" while raising a clamped fist. They usually leave me alone after that because they think I'm crazy.

At least it works.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, what the hell is an Arbonne?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Reach the Arbonne? That just sounds silly. That does seem out of place if they were wanting ladies to become consultants at a bridal show.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
Okay, what the hell is an Arbonne?
http://www.joelcomm.com/to_arbonne_o...o_arbonne.html

It's like Amway (multi-level marketing scam), but with health and beauty products that cost a shitload of money.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
Reach the Arbonne? That just sounds silly.
If that sounds silly to you, you probably weren't there.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
wait, you're referring to your twin as in you have the same big one right? because if that's the case then that's just sad. they should NOT have their weddings this close to one another. and honestly, if one of my littles was ever blessed to get married right behind me i'd be so busy being happy for them and helping them out i don't think i'd remember half of what i would need to be doing. i could never fight with my littles for attention like that, but then again i don't think we'd ever schedule our weddings like that if we could help it.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Those girls trying to outdo each other with their weddings reminds me of an episode of "My Super Sweet 16" where the girls have to all outdo each other in the same Florida town.

Speaking of bad reality tv, does anyone else watch "My Big Redneck Wedding" on CMT? It is hosted by Tom Arnold and it is so gloriously wrong that I just can't look away. I'm not sure what the absolute best moment was as each episode is priceless in its own little way.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I'm with Baby on this - I couldn't imagine trying to one-up either of my littles, they really are like my little sisters, not just friends. The Big is supposed to be there for them and support them, not act like the middle child and get jealous about everything! Ugh!

Changing subject briefly - I'm trying to work out my budget and could use some help with the reception. I have no idea how much we should realistically budget for food/alcohol. We would like to have a cocktail hour with light hors d'oeuvres and open bar, then scale back the bar during the buffet meal to beer/wine/champagne/signature cocktails (one for the ladies, one for the men) and it's taking place in Athens, GA. Any suggestions??? And BTW, father of the groom brews his own beer and wine so we will have only a couple of limited selections of each. Is it more cost-effective to purchase our own and pay corkage fees...?

And is budgeting $100 for hair and makeup for me reasonable?

Is it worth it to get a wedding planner?

I have a lot of questions I've never been in a wedding before so I have absolutely NO experience!

BTW, love this thread.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

SthrnZeta,
To answer your questions, one thing that helped FI and I out a lot when budgeting was using theknot.com's one. You input guest count and total budget and they help break things down for you. We took that, put it into an excel sheet and adjusted as necessary. Excel also helps us look at overall cost, then couple costs, then parental costs, etc.

As for alcohol, a lot will depend on the venue if they let you bring it in. I'm not sure I would want the stress of that, but it does usually cost less. And if you want just signature stuff for the reception, I would do it for the whole thing so guests don't get confused.

As for hair and makeup I think it really depends on location. I would look online at local salons/spas to see what their packages are. Also it depends if you want someone to come on-site, airbrushed makeup, etc.

It might be worth it to have a Day of Coordinator (DOC). A sister of mine is an event planner, so she is helping me as my DOC as a friend and I am super thankful.

I know the knot has a lot of crazies on it, but my local board and my wedding month board have been really helpful.

Hope this helped a bit!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
SthrnZeta,
To answer your questions, one thing that helped FI and I out a lot when budgeting was using theknot.com's one. You input guest count and total budget and they help break things down for you. We took that, put it into an excel sheet and adjusted as necessary. Excel also helps us look at overall cost, then couple costs, then parental costs, etc.

As for alcohol, a lot will depend on the venue if they let you bring it in. I'm not sure I would want the stress of that, but it does usually cost less. And if you want just signature stuff for the reception, I would do it for the whole thing so guests don't get confused.

As for hair and makeup I think it really depends on location. I would look online at local salons/spas to see what their packages are. Also it depends if you want someone to come on-site, airbrushed makeup, etc.

It might be worth it to have a Day of Coordinator (DOC). A sister of mine is an event planner, so she is helping me as my DOC as a friend and I am super thankful.

I know the knot has a lot of crazies on it, but my local board and my wedding month board have been really helpful.

Hope this helped a bit!
I do have some stuff set up on the Knot, so that's some really good advice. One of the doctors I work with, an AOPi, got married where we plan to and told me that the event coordinator for the venue should handle logistics for the day and that I don't really need a wedding planner. But I like the idea of someone else setting up meetings with vendors and her talking to them for me throughout the process.

As far as the alcohol, I get what you're saying about confusing people, but the bar area is in a separate room that you can close off and but then I guess we'd need more servers to serve drinks if we shut down the bar... definitely something to think about (and I hear alcohol is a major money-suck!).

And what's the deal with all the pieces in the invitation? Do you really need a separate one for the reception - can't you just say reception to follow since the reception site is on the same property as the chapel? Just seems silly to me... We would like people to RSVP on our wedding site but we know some may prefer to mail in a card so we'll include that also. Just seems like invitations are unncecessarily expensive, and then you throw in the Save the Date magnets we want and it's approaching $4-500!! And that doesn't include programs and napkins and any other stationary items! I mean, is $20,000 a realistic budget for a wedding of approx 100 people?