GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,892
0 members and 1,892 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

at my school they just go through saying Ms. ___ and you say here or not, but then again my chapter is about 130-140 girls

Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter of 200 would call out last names in alpha order. It worked fine. If there were girls with the same last name, they would be called out by last name, first name. It was fine. Sometimes, to make it fun, instead of saying here, we would have to name our favorite city, favorite place for a date, favorite fraternity, etc. Always a good laugh.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Roll call may be tedious, but it is a good way to get to know the members' names. I can appreciate that it's a nuisance, but there are benefits to the old fashion way.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Attendance with phone

Chapter size 180. Arrange tables near room entrance & place poster board on the table. Color coordinated for each year in school. Draw a grid with each member's name on one block. When they enter the room they place their phone on their square. Easy & quick way to take attendance. It also eliminates the distraction from phones making the meetings quicker & more efficient!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter uses clickers assigned to each woman to take roll. They also use them for voting - much easier and faster than counting hands/paper ballots. These are the I-Clickers that the women use in many of their classes. They are all familiar with the way they work. There was an investment by the chapter for the technology but it works well and is easy to install.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
Our chapter uses clickers assigned to each woman to take roll. They also use them for voting - much easier and faster than counting hands/paper ballots. These are the I-Clickers that the women use in many of their classes. They are all familiar with the way they work. There was an investment by the chapter for the technology but it works well and is easy to install.
I believe i-clicker has an app now, although that kind of invites phone distractions during chapter.

We use an app called n-class at school, although it's a startup so the software is a little buggy.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1978 View Post
Chapter size 180. Arrange tables near room entrance & place poster board on the table. Color coordinated for each year in school. Draw a grid with each member's name on one block. When they enter the room they place their phone on their square. Easy & quick way to take attendance. It also eliminates the distraction from phones making the meetings quicker & more efficient!
This strikes me as completely genius and I wish I had done it during the last chapter visit I did.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a chapter with about 300 girls in it. We have the chapter guard wait at the door and we line up alphabetically. The guard has a list of every girl in the chapter (minus those excused for the semester due to an evening class, etc.) and she checks your name off as you walk in. Usually only takes about 15 minutes to get everyone inside.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the other chapters has a velcro board
Each girl has a velcro strip with her name on it. As they come in, each girl pulls her strip off and puts it in a basket.
The secretary knows the names that did not get pulled are absent
She might call just those names to see if some one snuck in late

Another group did the same thing but with their magnetic name tags
As you came in you grabbed you name tag and put it on
This would cost more - but be really easy if you needed name tags for recruitment anyways and easier to make sure no one pulled someone elses tag.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Not my chapter:

When the girls walked into the chapter room in the house, there were two guards. One did the secret handshake with the girl and was told the password. The other had an iPad and had some attendance app that she just checked off each girl and when everyone was inside, it said who was missing.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Divide your chapter into "Founders Groups" or similar Family Groups and have one person in each group count the 15 or 20 girls in her group.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteviolet View Post
My chapter has taken roll three different ways:
(snipped)
3) Every girl had to write their name on a dollar (!!) and turn it in. All money went to our philanthropy.
I really like this way!

Just for kicks, how we did it at my school (Total was 55) was the Secretary calling out the names, and each sister had to respond with the name of another chapter. The favorite one to use (but is no longer active) was "Alpha Delta, Colby College, Waterville, Maine" which for some strange reason we all said, using a country-style accent. I know, weird.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter (over 300 girls) uses student IDs to check in. The chapter has everyone's student ID # and their name so they know who we are. The VP Communications (who's in charge of attendance) has several card swipers. They plug in to a laptop in the USB port. Her committee members bring their laptops and swipe everyone in before chapter. It's really easy and convenient. I'm assuming it connects to a document of some sort that creates a list of who was there. We just hand them our student ID card and they swipe us in! The card swipers are pretty common at my school for taking attendance, I've had to swipe in for class events in the past and a required career fair.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
300+ members?! I can't wrap my head around that.

I would've never joined a fraternity with that many members; too overwhelming. While I assume most of those girls don't live in the house, 300 was the size of my high school graduating class - and I wouldn't want to attend chapter meetings or formals with that many people.
Tis sorority life in the SEC! Only 70ish of us live in house and I believe it's a similar number in other houses at my school.