GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2001, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question "Research" for a paper

Is it just me, or are we seeing a whole bunch of new members signing up looking for information for a paper?? Here's a clue, people -- its not called "RE-SEARCH" unless you first start by doing a search. Coming on here asking us all kinds of weirded out questions in your quest for a pulitzer will not get you anywhere. We aren't going to talk about hazing, initiation, rituals, ceremonies, or anything else that *USED* to be discussed on another website by all those resident psychos. We are sorry that your nice little mental facility got shut down, but that doesn't mean we want you here -- you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!

Oh, and BTW, do you really and truly, HONESTLY believe that we are all buying it that there is all this supposed research going on for class projects and papers? If it is, then you can feel free to email me your name, college/school, what class name and number, your professor/teacher's name, and the guidelines of the paper/project. Then maybe you will find some help -- other than that, find somewhere else to bother people!

Oh, and *YES*, this *IS* my good side!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2001, 04:12 PM

Amen sista!

Take a break for a few days and the craziness is back again.

But seriously, I don't remember writing any papers on fraternities for any of my soc classes, I don't even know what course you could write that for...the sociology of friendship?

Maybe you should post your "greekchatters worst nightmare" thread on the main home page and make everyone read it before they post their first message...

[This message has been edited by Lil_G (edited April 23, 2001).]
Old 04-23-2001, 10:19 PM

I soooo agree - I mean, I remember the reason I hated research papers was because you had to footnote all your sources, author, book/article title & copyright date! How in the world would you cite anything on here - "33girl on Greekchat said..." Yeah, I'm sure that would go over real well.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
I soooo agree - I mean, I remember the reason I hated research papers was because you had to footnote all your sources, author, book/article title & copyright date! How in the world would you cite anything on here - "33girl on Greekchat said..." Yeah, I'm sure that would go over real well.
I know that was meant as sarcastic, but there is a way to document what people say, even online!! I forget how, but ohwell.

Old 04-24-2001, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I did one paper where the prof gave me special permission to use A FEW internet sources, but not all of my research was allowed to come from a chat room. I had to get people to email me and then I had to email them back with specific questions...kind of like an interview. They also had to be willing to give me their full name and I then had to print these emails out and hand them in with the paper to show that they were legit. She also could have emailed the people on her own b/c she had the email addy's to see that I had talked to them.

It was a paper on the hippie culture of the 1960's. Considering I wasn't born until the late 70's, the professor thought that I could get more information from someone who had experienced that time period and culture firsthand. I also had to have some hard copy literature to back these things up and as many face to face interviews as possible. I was only allowed the internet resources because I did not know anyone that had lived the true hippie lifestyle with the communes, etc. Anyhow, very long, rambling story short, I was allowed the internet as a last resort and not as a primary source of citation and I definitely was NOT allowed to cite a message board and usernames.
Old 04-24-2001, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
How in the world would you cite anything on here - "33girl on Greekchat said..." Yeah, I'm sure that would go over real well.
OMG, LOL- that was too funny!
Old 04-24-2001, 04:44 AM

Smile

Ya know, it is possible that a person in college could do a research paper on Fraternities and Sororities. In both English 101 and English 102 I was able to choose the subject matter for my research paper. I was
also able to choose the subject for my research paper in Research Methods.

just a thought

[This message has been edited by shopgirl (edited April 24, 2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

AOXAlum YOU ARE A VERY NEGATIVE PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE AND STOP TRASHING EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT JOINS THESE CHAT ROOMS, WHAT I THINK YOU PERCEIVE AS YOUR "TERRITORY”.
FYI: SINCE I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE NOT BEEN IN SCHOOL FOR A WHILE...Sociology has always dealt with the human condition and what makes one person do one thing and the other not. Hmm..like deciding to go greek. Also another thing I have to clear up...my statement regarding was hazing was thrown in there, because it is an issue that many people are taken interest in and has to be addressed, no matter how much some of us don't want to deal with it. I do not want to know anyone's dirty secrets or anything like that. Confidentiality is everyone's right and I wasn't expecting nor do I want or need anyone to tell me about initiation rituals or anything like that. That's not what my paper is about. MY SOCIOLOGY TOPIC IS UNUSUAL YES, BUT I DID NOT FEEL LIKE CHOOSING THE TOPIC, "WHY ARE THE POOR HOMELESS" BEEN DONE A FEW TIMES. This is a subject that my professor and I both thought were of great relevance right now. My paper is not about judging, criticizing, or anything negative. It is about understanding and discovery of environment, which college students live in. In addition, citation of Internet and interviews are two of the easiest citations out there. Sorry many of you are reluctant to believe that I am ligit, but I am as real as real can get.
So much for putting my faith in humanity to help me out. First, I have to clarify that my intentions were NEVER EVER to offend anyone by asking for a little help. It is sad that there is so much distrust within this network. I've been on here for a while browsing through everyone's post and was extremely impressed with many of the arguments a lot oou had to make defending the honor and pride of the Greek system. I always appreciate a person who refutes negativity and that only fosters an avalanche effect. I am actually a little offended that many of you that responded attacked me in such a way that gave me a very bad impression of you all. And HeidiHO, YES I HAVE POSTED A MESSAGE BEFORE IT WAS A WHILE BACK THOUGH AND SINCE THEN I HAVE MISPLACED THOSE RESPONSES, BECAUSE I PRINTED THEM UP. Actually that time, I had a lot of positive feedback from people and had many people sending me personal emails saying they were really grateful that I was doing this research, but apparently this time around I'm not getting the same response. Unfournate, as I am only a person trying to interpret the world and listen to other's viewpoints with an unbiased ear. I had really hoped to get some information from many different groups of people on here, because again my naivety setting in, I thought that was what the Greek system was all about "unity”.

Moreover, thanks everyone who was actually very positive in suggesting academic resources, think I would have done that long before this, along with the interviews. This was my last outlet and I was hoping to get some interesting feedback and opinions. I got just the opposite.
Very disappointed.
heidi
Old 04-24-2001, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heids81:
AOXAlum YOU ARE A VERY NEGATIVE PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE AND STOP TRASHING EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT JOINS THESE CHAT ROOMS, WHAT I THINK YOU PERCEIVE AS YOUR "TERRITORY”.
FYI: SINCE I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE NOT BEEN IN SCHOOL FOR A WHILE...Sociology has always dealt with the human condition and what makes one person do one thing and the other not. Hmm..like deciding to go greek. Also another thing I have to clear up...my statement regarding was hazing was thrown in there, because it is an issue that many people are taken interest in and has to be addressed, no matter how much some of us don't want to deal with it.
Heids81,
I think what everyone was basically trying to say in their posts concerning your request is that there are better alternatives to asking GreekChatters for info. Performing a search on the topics you are interested in will give you a lot of opinions that have already been posted. But other than that, you just won't find many people on here that will be helpful to a request like yours.

The problem we have with people asking for info on Greek Life is this: We give them info and it gets either completely twisted around, or only the negative aspects get printed. I've seen it done WAY too many times to trust any of the media, or anyone doing a research paper. It's a fact of life -most of the media is anti-Greek because that's what sells. And, since this is the Internet, we really have no idea who you are. You could be with some newspaper trying to get dirt on Greeks, for all we know.

This is not to say that you aren't an honest person. I can't say whether you are or not, because I don't know you. Like I said in my earlier post, it's the dishonest people who have ruined it for folks who really do want info for UNBIASED papers, or for personal use, or whatever. Too many times, we've helped out, offering quotes and opinions, only to have what we said come back to bite us in the #$%. And it's not b/c we've necessarily said anything negative, it's because our words have been edited or twisted to fit what the writer or reporter wants to hear. So, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just being cautious. Sorry if you've taken offense, but that's just how it is. We ARE unified Greeks here, and because of that, we are going to protect ourselves by not saying ANYTHING that could get taken out of context, to you or anyone else. I hope this helps you to understand a little about why we don't usually respond seriously to requests for research paper information. Please don't take it personally. It's just our standard policy.

Old 04-25-2001, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to thank everyone that has responded to my request for information despite some people's quams with providing me with their opinions. I also wanted to apologize for my rude tone with my reply to AOXalum's post. I understand why all of you are hestitant to respond to my post, I would be too. Too many people have painted greeks with a very harsh brush, and that is unfournate, because I've met some very considerate human beings that are in the greek system that their only purpose to help others and be part of a community. Now correct me if I'm wrong in saying so, but I think the main reason why people are drawn to and ultimately end up joining a fraternity/soriority are to feel a part of something. For the same reason a person joins any group or club in highschool and beyond high school years. SO again thanks to all who have been able to offer me their opinions. And to those of you who are untrusting of people like me doing research papers, I'm sorry that people in the past have done wrong against you in the past, so that you are now so untrusting. And I don't blame you.
Thank you.
HEIDI
Old 04-25-2001, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for understanding, Heidi!
Old 04-25-2001, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
My paper is not about judging, criticizing, or anything negative. It is about understanding and discovery of environment, which college students live in.
First of all, its AXO Alum (as in Alpha Chi Omega)...that being said...thanks for the comment about negativity. I actually can appreciate the fact that it was recognized for what it was. Here is a direct quote from your original post:

Do you think hazing and initiation rituals are unifying or segregating?

You didn't even bother with asking about hazing -- you just ASSumed that we do - and we don't...not to mention that its kind of strange to ask about hazing rituals -what is that supposed to mean? We don't haze and its wrong to assume we do.

Then you say "know anyone's dirty secrets or anything like that" -- again -- accusing us of having dirty secrets to hide won't win you any friends on here!

I won't even START with talking about getting a life - if my life includes coming on here and chatting with my greek and non-greek participating *friends* so be it. Funny - there is another *person* on here who always starts *innocent* posts and then freaks out telling people to get a life....but like I said - I won't start on that road.

If you *REALLY* are interested in what greeks are doing to improve campus life, and the lives of their sisters and brothers, take a walk on any college campus and ask someone wearing letters. Look in the phone book for the Greek Life office and call them. Set up an appointment with any chapter (just ask for a list from Greek Life and then call them and ask if you could come talk to them for a few minutes during one of their meetings), etc...they will be more than happy to talk with you about the positive things they are doing. No, you won't hear about hazing or drugs or exclusiveness or ritual or anything else that we are constantly plagued with due to the stereotypes. If you want that I suggest you rent the *critically* acclaimed "Dying To Belong" with that Sixx girl from Blossom. Woo-hoo -- stereotypical to the core. Of course Animal House is always a favorite too.

But if you really want TRUE and HONEST answers about being greek and what it means, then ask someone face-to-face. Have a real interview. That is how you can learn while doing your research (which, I believe is the point of doing a project)...oh, and by the way, I finished my grad degree last year -- I would have never gotten through my program if I presented my prof with a list of internet chat room conversations for my research. You need to talk face-to-face with people that you can document and who won't *disappoint* you because they didn't give you the answers you wanted.

*Apology* accepted.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you for being classy, Heidi. Your second post clarified a lot for me, and I appreciate your understanding!

Jacqueline