GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,253
1 members and 2,252 guests
MSKKG

Old 08-06-2002, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a running joke in our chapter that one of our original founders (Martha Footcrowe) of the International fraternity haunted the downstairs bathroom (i think it was devised to freak out new members because that area of the house is pretty creepy).

Anyway, a couple years back a group of us were all up late one night during our exec. retreat and hanging out in the chapter room. We were joking around about the story when one of the girls (a new member) noticed that one of the lights in the chapter room was doing weird things. She pointed it out to us and we all stared at it, seeing nothing.

After about 30 seconds one of the girls goes 'Hey Martha, you there?' and the light distinctly blinked twice. That was enough to freak all us out!!

Who knows if someone or something is there.... but it was pretty creepy. Our house is almost 50 years old and Isla Vista has seen some crazy stuff since then.

Random info that isn't scary - When they built our chapter house, they made the staircase in the Foyer in the shape of an 'A', and we had a fountain the shape of a 'F' right underneath it. Needless to say, the fountain only made it until the mid 80's when it had to be removed becaues to many frats. made it ground zero for a number of pranks....

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2002, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

alpha phi

i hear that the alpha phi house on my campus is haunted by a girl named jenny. she turns on radios and turns off alarm clocks.... she once turned on a stereo... cd only, no radio.... to the middle of some song that says something like "her name was jenny" that was on a cd... wierd
Old 08-06-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: ghosts, psychos, and asylums...oh my!

Quote:
Originally posted by dgqtpi

Lastly, I know that the DG house at University of Colorado-Boulder is an old asylum. VERY scary, supernatural occurances have been documented. Does anyne go to Boulder and know about this?
In five years on that campus I never heard that rumor. The DG house is a beautiful cream and brown building only two blocks from the commercial district of University Hill. They also have two small annexes next door. Based solely on location and proximity to several other houses, I thought that house was built for them.

The Alpha Phi house is supposed to be haunted by a former house boy (a concept that went out a long time ago) who hung himself in the basement in what's now the laundry room. Macky Auditorum is also supposedly haunted by a girl who was murdered there over winter break in the 60's. People claim she paces back and forth between the two front towers.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

At least two of our houses at Auburn University (Alabama) had unexplained occurrences. The house on Ann St. was by far the worst. A large, two story house, the rear of the great room was a wall of windows that overlooked the pool we had. Over the years many brothers have been sitting in the great room watching TV when they heard a woman's scream coming from the pool. They would of course rush out but find nobody there, even as the screams continued, then abruptly stop. The house was old and we never knew of any drownings that took place at the house, but who knows. The bigger problem with the house was upstairs in the residence area. Very respected, level headed brothers not known for making up wild stories or even exaggerating reported a string of bizarre occurrences. The most chilling was the brother who was asleep in his room very late one night who heard his door creek open. He opened his eyes and saw a hand and forearm reach in and lock his door from the inside then close the door behind it. Thinking a brother was messing with him (boy, that would never happen!), he leaped out of bed and opened the door, looked down the hall and saw nothing. Not a sound, not a bit of motion and he had opened the door is a short enough time that any brother would have been seen running back to his room. Another room in the house was empty and locked with a key only a few officers had. Oftentimes loud music would be heard coming from the room, then when the door was opened, the music would abruptly stop. One of the creepiest occurrences happened to a small group of brothers at the start of Christmas break. Finals and graduation were over, campus was abandoned and they were staying at the house one last night before flying home the next morning. They were watching a movie downstairs in the great room (with the big windows behind you, creepy) when they heard footsteps upstairs. Everyone was accounted for, downstairs. Figuring some local kids had snuck in, the brothers thoroughly searched the house and found nothing, then went back to watching the movie. No sooner had they sat down than they heard more footsteps and running upstairs. Tired of this game and still thinking it was local kids, they called the Auburn Police Department which sent out a couple of officers who searched the house with the brothers and again found nothing. The brothers, who by now were a little unnerved, went back to the great room. Finally, after the police left the footsteps were heard again, this time the big metal firedoor upstairs slammed shut and the steps were heard coming down the metal stairs. Before the footsteps got to the bottom of the stairs, the brothers ran from the house and didn't return till morning to get their things. No sign of any intruder was ever found, nothing was taken. We later moved into a house on Lakeshore Dr. where the occurrences continued, the most eerie of which happened to one of my pledge brothers. One night over Thanksgiving break he was staying in the house alone. Before going to bed for the night he locked all the doors/windows and shut all the blinds. He was awoken the next morning by the rising sun, every blind in the house was wide open, all of the doors were still locked. My wife hated that house and refused to be alone in a room in it.
While not on Auburn's campus, a brother and I saw what we think was one of the ghosts of Sloss Furnaces. Sloss is a steel mill that operated from the 1800s to 1971 and has been preserved as a museum/landmark of the American Industrial Revolution. An oral history project at the University of West Alabama records part of the history of the ghosts of Sloss at http://facstaff.uwa.edu/ab/sloss.htm. An estimated 50 people died at Sloss during its operation. My brother and I went to Sloss and went down into the tunnel that runs under the railroad tracks where coal, iron ore and limestone was dumped from rail cars and then feed into the furnaces by a conveyor belt. This brick lined tunnel is dark and creepy. An old shuttle car is still in the tunnel and we walked toward it to get a better look. As we approached it, a white, translucent figure of a man materialized out of the darkness beyond the car and begin to silently approach (note that I didn't say walk) us. We scrambled up the ladder and out of that tunnel so fast that we actually leapt off the top rung of the ladder. I have never been so scared in my life!
Pratt Hall at Huntington College in nearby Montgomery, Ala has a ghost that is so well known that it appears on the school's website http://www.huntingdon.edu/traditions/redlady.html I've judged a debate tournament on that floor of Pratt Hall and got a definite uneasy feeling. Note that the places where she is sighted are now the sorority chapter rooms!

Great stories! I'm going to go turn on all the lights in my house and lock my door now......
Old 09-15-2002, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
well, anyone who goes to miami university in ohio would know most of the usual stories of the university.
first we have the story of the student who in the 30's came up missing. nobody ever found out what happened. most think he was killed and haunted the dorm for years. the room that was his was never occupied after he came up missing. people claimed they heard things in the room afterwards. others say they would see him in the gardens by the dorm at night singing. (he was a member of the glee club and band)
after many years the building was changed from a dorm to a dining hall to a theatre. finally they closed the doors and didn't use it at all. they were trying to have it torn down, but so many people were against it. at night you could see and hear things from the building, but it was suppose to be closed down. finally when they did the permit to tear it down, they found the letters of all of the fraternities in the infamous room on the third floor. it had become a rite of passage for all frat pledges to break in and go to the room and post their letters.
i can say from personal experience that i think the formal gardens that were next to the dorm are still haunted to this day. over christmas break one year while i was in school, i decided to go over to the gardens to take some pics since nobody was around and there was a fresh cover of snow. so i went over, parked, and got out. as soon as i got out of my car i felt like i was being watched. i looked around, but nobody was there.
so i proceeded to go around taking pics. i started to get back into my car, but i decided to go take some more pics. well, as soon as i turned around to go back towards the gardens, i saw the sides of the greenhouse billow like there was wind, but the air wasn't moving. i started to go again and it happened again, but bigger this time. i stopped in my tracks. out loud i said, "okay, i'm leaving now." and it stopped as soon as i said that. i ran back to my car and left.
about a year later or so some friends of mine and i were out ghost hunting. i told them my story so we went back over to the gardens. when we went up to the greenhouse i noticed that it was made of hard plastic that couldn't billow in the wind. freaky!

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-16-2002, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

LOVE the scary stories! At my alma mater, there was a girl who dropped dead in her dorm room in between classes... just laid down on her bed and died. It turns out that she had a brain aneurysm. There were also the occasional stories about guys slipping GHB or rohpnyl (sp?) into a girl's drink either at a bar or at a fraternity party and then raping her, but I don't know if those stories are true or not, I suspect not.

Actually, I spent one semester working for the campus police, and I got to see how dull campus crime life actually was! Lol! It was pretty boring, although on one really slow night, an officer took me on a tour of some underground tunnels that connected some of the old buildings on campus. That was pretty cool! I guess they'd been closed off for decades and then were reopened for maintenance purposes and they found all sorts of nifty things like old coins and school items and stuff.

There are plenty of ghost stories at my alma mater, ranging from hospital patients at the University Hospital escaping to terrorize student to ghosts haunting greek houses or old academic buildings, but I personally never experienced anything that led me to believe in any of the stories.

M&M
Old 09-16-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
two other stories from miami - really fast, i swear.
first one of the dorms, wilson hall, was an asylum back in the day. now it's an all boys dorm. each year they have a haunted house tour there.
second is the ghost of peabody hall. mrs. peabody oversaw the dorm back in the day when it was an all girls dorm. she would take care of the girls when they got sick. after she died, the building caught fire and had to be rebuild.
to this day students who live in that dorm feel a warm presence and sometimes see her when they are sick. she doesn't like mens so she supposedly tries to scare them out of the building. she has been seen walking down the halls, but ony half of her. see, when the building was rebuilt, the floors ended up being about 3ft above where the old ones were. so they see only half of her b/c she is still walking on the old floors.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-17-2002, 02:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Eeeeep!

I'm scared. It's 11:23 PM and I think I'm going to have to stay away until morning now.

*cries*

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe no one has told the story of the SAE's at Mizzou... I might not have these exactly right, but this is what I've heard-
The house used to be war hospital during the Civil War. As a result, many people died in the house and there is a mortuary in the basement. EVERYONE claims the house is haunted. One night, all the boys were in the kitchen having dinner, when one who was facing the window looked up and went pale. Outside (in the middle of the night) was a cavalry of horses and soldiers parading up the lawn. This is totally true, it was even on Unsolved Mysteries!!
Also, every year the president takes the pledges in the basement for a night in the mortuary. One night, the guys went down there and locked themselves in for the night. The next morning no one could find the president or the pledges. An active found out later that that morning, the president and all pledges had gone to Greek Life and quit the house. To this day, no one knows what they saw.
Each year, SAE holds a 'haunted house' philanthropy that plays into the idea that everyone's scared of their house!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
its 2 am and now i have to turn all the lights on and pretend that i'm just "studying" SO SCARED!!! (and love it )
Old 09-19-2002, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

About Ted B. and the Chi O house -

I am an FSU grad and my daughter attended FSU as well.
The Chi O house is the same, but it was renovated extensively after the murders. Not sure about the bars on the windows, but then again all the houses now have incredible security. Back then (78) the building next door was a bar and campus hangout. Bundy went in on a Saturday night, saw the three girls and attempted to talk to them. When he failed to hook up with any of the three, he followed them next door, and apparently watched as they went upstairs and turned on the lights in their rooms. He found a way to get into the house after picking up a large piece of firewood from the pile on their patio, and murdered the girls in their beds. I am almost positive that there was another sister who survived.
The bar was torn down and a private dorm was built on the site. My daughter lived there her freshman year, and her room overlooked the Chi O's patio. You can imagine how yucky I felt when we opened the door to her room, and saw that view. The dorm was very full and there was no chance of getting another, so she had to stick it out.
Bundy also spent time in Ypsilanti Michigan and murdered some young women there as well. I cannot recall if that is where W. Mich or E. Mich is located.
He was possibly the most heinous serial killer in US history.
The ChiO chapter at FSU has remained very strong and came through that unspeakable event with such dignity!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Re: About Ted B. and the Chi O house -

Quote:
Originally posted by AnchorAlum
Bundy also spent time in Ypsilanti Michigan and murdered some young women there as well. I cannot recall if that is where W. Mich or E. Mich is located.
Eastern Michigan University is in Ypsilanti, MI. I've never heard any stories about Bundy being here. Guess I'll have to check into that.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

When I was a new young professor, I lived on campus. Several professors helped me move in and commented that I'd probably enjoy living in that area although "Old Man Hoge" often got it into his head to play his violin in the middle of the night--the Music Building was a bit down the road.

Everyone was so blase about it and I figured that if they were so casual about it, it must not be too disturbing.

Months later I found out that "Old Man Hoge" had been dead for years and years.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
was just looking at some of the old stuff on here and wanted to bump up this thread again...

some GREAT stories on here! anybody have any more?