GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,632
2 members and 1,630 guests
gatordeltapgh, Overthinker

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity

Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity was established in 2010 by students attending Ramapo College in New Jersey to unite collegiate and professional artists in the spirit of fellowship and perpetual artistic growth.

From this purpose arises a robust mission: Gamma Xi Phi Fraternity promotes philanthropy and service to the arts, brotherhood among all artists, and leadership development in artistic professions through collegiate and community outreach to people of color across the world. With a public motto of “Uniting the world one artist at a time” GXP is well on its way to becoming a force which will unify artists of varied disciplines in service to each other and to the world.

Gamma Xi Phi takes a particular interest in the cultivation of African American art, with influences from and interest in the Harlem Renaissance, the Black Arts Movement, and the golden age of hip-hop.

It is our hope to establish the first professional chapter of Gamma Xi Phi in Washington, DC to complement our Alpha Chapter at Ramapo College. This chapter will implement a program of philanthropy and service to the arts by sponsoring artistic activities in which the community may participate, providing interactive workshops and lectures to enrich and refine the artistic skills of the community, sharing the accomplishments of artists of color to the community, and directly assisting artists of color in achieving their goals. We will also provide invaluable opportunities for networking and collaboration between our members and beyond.

Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, ancestry, or disability. As a professional fraternity, membership is open to members of general, social, and service fraternities and sororities.

Prospective members at Ramapo College should send me a PM for details.

Prospective members in the Washington, DC area are advised of the following event:

The men and women of the interest group of Gamma Xi Phi Professional Arts Fraternity cordially invite you to attend an intimate afternoon with Derrick Weston Brown, author of Wisdom Teeth, on Saturday, June 11, 2011 at The Purple Room.

Derrick Weston Brown holds an MFA in creative writing, from American University. He has studied poetry under Dr. Tony Medina at Howard University and Cornelius Eady at American University. He is a graduate of the Cave Canem Summer workshop for black poets and the VONA summer workshop. He works as a bookseller and book buyer for a wonderful bookstore which is operated by the nonprofit Teaching for Change, and is located within the restaurant, bar, coffee shop and performance space known as Busboys and Poets. As the first Poet-In-Residence of Busboys and Poets, he is the founder and curator of The Nine on the Ninth, a five-year-old monthly poetry series, and helps coordinate the poetry programming at the 14th & V street location.

Gamma Xi Phi was established in 2010 by undergraduate students attending Ramapo College in New Jersey. Men and women interested in establishing a professional chapter of GXP in the DC area are encouraged to attend this event.

Please send a PM to RSVP and receive the address.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad someone is doing this right!

While we initially had our normal GC fun with this org the first time around, I believe you were correct in thinking that it was a great concept with poor execution.

Pat on the back to all of the current and future GXiPhis (GZPhi? Gamma Xis?)!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!

As you know, there is plenty of work to be done in the coming months and years, but when you hear so many people saying "This is a great idea - I can't believe it hasn't been done before!" you've just got to DO IT.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratz!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Hear, hear! They've really come a long way. Congratulations to the men and women of Gamma Xi Phi.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Xi Phi can now be found on Facebook and on Twitter.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Xi Phi has elected its first national officers, chartered Beta Chapter as a professional chapter in Washington, DC, and established Eta Chapter as the National Honorary Chapter.

Biographies of the national officers will be available shortly.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Congratulations!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!

Today was the first anniversary of the founding of GXP. Here is our press release:

Professional Arts Fraternity Celebrates Anniversary with New National Board and First Professional Chapter

Mahwah, NJ, October 7, 2011—Gamma Xi Phi, the professional fraternity for artists, turned one year old today and celebrated by welcoming four new national officers as well as a new chapter.

Gamma Xi Phi was founded on October 7, 2011, by men and women attending Ramapo College who were interested in creating strong bonds between students pursuing artistic careers. The purpose of the fraternity is to unite collegiate and professional artists in the spirit of fellowship and perpetual artistic growth. Gamma Xi Phi promotes philanthropy and service to the arts, brotherhood among all artists, and leadership development in artistic professions through collegiate and community outreach to people of color across the world.

The Beta Chapter of Gamma Xi Phi was officially chartered on October 3, 2011, just days prior to the fraternity’s first anniversary. Beta is the second chapter of the fraternity and the first chapter exclusively for college graduates and professional artists. The chapter welcomes professional and aspiring artists living in the greater Washington, DC area.

The National Officers:

National President Storme Gray is a native of Camden, New Jersey and currently resides in northern Virginia, where she works as a human resource manager in the private sector. Previously employed as a grant maker in the philanthropy community, Ms. Gray has served on the boards of One World Education and the Northern Virginia Delta Education and Community Service Foundation. An active member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Ms. Gray is also a poet, painter, and proprietor of Congo Brava Designs, a freelance graphic design company.

National Vice President Malcolm Minor is a sophomore attending Ramapo College in Mahwah, New Jersey, where he is majoring in Theater. He is an actor, dancer, singer, director, and spoken word poet. Mr. Minor is a founder of Gamma Xi Phi and is the president of Alpha Chapter.

National Secretary Sharnell Bryan is a native of the District of Columbia and is a 2003 graduate of Ball State University, where she earned a bachelor's degree in journalism. She is a writer and an illustrator, as well as an active member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

National Treasurer Nadia Blaine is a 2001 graduate of Georgetown University and a 2004 graduate of The George Washington University Law School. She is currently a staff attorney at a DC boutique law firm specializing in banking and corporate law. Ms. Blaine is also an illustrator, painter, and writer.

###
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!

Beta Chapter had a program tonight -a movie screening. It was fun!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Signed some incorporation papers today.....
Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Congratulations!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

That's fantastic! Congratulations!!