GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,257
0 members and 2,257 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Rush

Has anyone heard how Rush went at Ole Miss? I know there Bid Day was yesterday. Did everyone make quota? Are there any new pledges lurking around the board from Ole Miss?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2004, 03:57 PM

Here you go! There may be other threads on GC about Ole Miss this year as well.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...825#post856825

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...147#post857147
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Hello, I posted this in one of those threads she posted, I think. Everyone made quota at Ole Miss except for Theta and DG. I think they are the only two. OleMissGlitter might know if anyone else didn't but I think that's it. She said AOII took quota (80) plus 5. And I know Phi Mu took quota (80) plus 4. I don't know specifics of the other houses...
Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I can't believe that every sorority didn't make quota. I actually went to Ole Miss my freshman year, and I remember DG and Theta both being great sororities. DG was founded at Ole Miss, and I can't believe they didn't make quota. Anyone know why this Rush was different for them this year? I mean didn't all the sororities make quota last year? It just seems odd to me that 2 great sororities didn't make quota. That's awful.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

According to info on our forum we got 75 at Ole Miss so I guess we were only 5 off. Also, we weren't really founded at Ole Miss. It was the Lewis School for Women which isn't around anymore but was located in MS. But Ole Miss is one of our older and strongest chapters from what I understand
Old 09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
According to info on our forum we got 75 at Ole Miss so I guess we were only 5 off. Also, we weren't really founded at Ole Miss. It was the Lewis School for Women which isn't around anymore but was located in MS. But Ole Miss is one of our older and strongest chapters from what I understand
Taking 75 is still amazing to me!!!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Just because they didn't make quota doesn't mean they aren't a strong chapter...they are. I don't know why they didn't because they always have as long as I've been there. Like 2 years ago Tri Delt didn't make quota and they are a great chapter as well. And everyone made it last year. So sometimes at Ole Miss you just never know. Seriously..they are REALLY all good.

Also Delta Gamma was founded at Lewis college in Oxford and that chapter moved to Ole Miss when Lewis College closed. the reason I know this is because my sister is a DG. She went to U of Tenessee and graduated in 1999.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me clarify something. I wasn't being critical of DG or Theta (or any other chapter for that matter) for not making quota. At my school my chapter's main goal was to first get the girls we wanted, and 2nd make quota. Therefore maybe I placed too much on making quota, because it was such a big deal at my school and to our sorority's National office. 75 is a wonderful number and a very large number. I am sure DG and Theta got the girls they wanted. I didn't mean to offend anyone, as I know that DG and Theta are great chapters at Ole Miss. I just wondered why they didn't make quota. That's all.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

chiosamford

i didn't take your comments as slams-just curiosity. of course, the chapter of my sorority at ole miss closed several years ago, so i don't really have any leg to stand on. :-)

how did the chapters at samford do? my daughter (a h.s. jr.) is considering attending samford, so i may have a vested interest there some day! lisa
Old 09-29-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

All 9 houses did very well this year. Yes, two houses did not make quota, but that doesn't really hurt either house because they both have great members and are doing great number wise. There were quite a few PNMs who suicided their favorite house and consequently, they were released from recruitment. For some reason, the drop-out rate was higher to me than in previous years. We are still waiting on numbers and stats, etc.

-Katherine, AOII Chapter Advisor
Old 09-30-2004, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta:
Samford is an awesome school and I loved the 3 years I spent there. I am not sure how recruitment went for them there this year, but I need to email my chapter and find out. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
There are a lot of people from FL who go to Samford, and Zeta has a really strong chapter there. They have a great Greek system with about 50% of the student body involved. There are 5 sororities

Chi Omega (My chapter)
Zeta Tau Alpha
Phi Mu
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Omicron Pi

Plus the school is gorgeous and Birmingham totally rocks as a city. I am now married and living in VA but I took my husband to B'ham this summer to see Samford (he's from PA) and he thought it was awesome and a beautiful campus! (This coming from a Duke grad makes me proud!) Anyway have her check it out because I completely miss it!

If your daughter has any questions about Samford, I'd be happy to email her about it. I loved it! Just let me know!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

dear chi o samford

we actually visited samford(and birmingham southern and wofford, in s.c.) this past summer. you are so right, the samford campus is gorgeous-just what a college should look like! thank you for your offer of info. i'll pass it on to her! :-) lisa
Old 09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows
I would like to clear something up...

They got the PNMs they wanted, which included some of the TOP PNMs going through recruitment.
As a Northern fascinated by all things Southern in terms of rush, what constitutes a "top" PNM at Ole Miss? High school grade and activities? Looks? Family status? Legacy status? All of the above? Just curious!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Aphi Diva... when I have a chance I will PM you...

I must first say... that what constitutes a "TOP" PNM is what your chapter wants in a NM.

IMHO... The answer to your question is, in short... all the above. To expand... a legacy to a competing house is almost as attractive a NM, as your GLO's legacies.

More importantly, there are a few PNMs that every house is interested...

A young lady that is so incredible all around... she is most likely a "Mississippi" legacy (if we are talking Chi O, DDD, DG, KD, and Phi Mu)... has a good GPA; involved in school, church (important), and community activities; and comes from a certain area or high school.... looks... well all Mississippi Girls are beautiful!!

I just cannot imagine that any chapter would not look for these things in a NM. However, I am only speaking from my opinion and knowledge.

Last edited by Angels&Arrows; 10-20-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was probably a wise decision for DG not to snap bid. I didn't know that they declined. I left Oxford right after the girls got thier bids, so I didn't really know many details etc. Because I'm sure they got girls they wanted and it would probably not be best to snap bid 5 people that they obviously didn't want OR didn't know. When you give out random bids you MAY end up with a few members that aren't a good fit with your house.