GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,665
2 members and 1,663 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face UCLA upperclassmen recruitment

Last edited by uclaucm; 09-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Paging ChioLu! And trying to remember who else is familiar with UCLA.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a UCLA alumna and was a recruitment advisor at UCLA for several years, but haven't been directly involved since 2011. I still keep tabs on recruitment and have friends who are still advisors for our chapter there.

An upperclassman quota was used last year, but I don't know for sure if one will be used again this year. I hadn't heard anything about that changing, but ChioLu would likely know more definitively if that changed.

If the upperclassman quota is handled the same way it was when I advised, then anyone 2nd year or older will fall into that category. It actually works out in sophomores' favor in many ways, because junior transfers make up the majority of the upperclassman quota, yet most chapters will always favor a younger PNM, all things being equal. I saw many sophomores (and many junior transfers, of course) receive bids to every house at UCLA, even sophomores who pledged another chapter the year before.

Make sure that you're polished, confident and can hold a great conversation. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have a successful recruitment.

Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Also come back and post your story!! We're recolonizing there fall 2016.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

At UCLA, upper-class quota is about one THIRD of the total pledge class. I'd have to go back and look up actual numbers, but I think it was something like 68 New Member class total with about 20 upperclass new members in that total. Not sure there's a higher % at any other school. UCLA has a large number of transfer students, so most chapters take the full amount of sophomores, juniors & even seniors.

Grades are very important. If you have less than a 3.0GPA as an upperclass PNM, your choices will be limited.

Most women you talk to probably won't even ask why you didn't join last year. If they do just tell the truth, then say that you're ready to join Greek life.

Tell your friends who are already in sororities that you're going through recruitment and that you're really excited about it. Keep an open mind, practice your conversation skills and maximize your options.

Here's a guide of what to wear: http://npcbruins.com/what-to-wear

Last edited by ChioLu; 07-06-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Every time one of the "suggested outfits" pages is shared for a particular campus, there always seems to be one outfit that's questionable. This time, I've got to go with the mid-riff baring black top and maxi skirt combo for Day 2.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

ChiLu, that is a great link! I love the comments describing each round and the advice like eating before parties start, etc.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ Every time one of the "suggested outfits" pages is shared for a particular campus, there always seems to be one outfit that's questionable. This time, I've got to go with the mid-riff baring black top and maxi skirt combo for Day 2.
That's hardly any midriff bared. I think her outfit is much cuter and more appropriate than the cocktail dress with five inch platforms.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by uclaucm; 09-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Go back and read ChioLu's post. It has info on this.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Go back and read ChioLu's post. It has info on this.
I did read her post and it was very informative. Still wondering how she thinks the experience compares for freshman vs. upper classmen. I've read other posts on the topic which say it is frustrating for the chapters because they feel they have to take upperclassmen that wouldn't get a bid as freshman but the sheer number of upperclassmen that register for recruitment (about 1/3 of total) makes me think that it is similar in terms of competitiveness.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Hon, now you're just worrying too much. You've gotten great advice, you know to plan your outfits in advance, you have the link with examples of what to wear, you know to work on your conversation skills........everything else is out of your hands. It doesn't matter if upperclassman is competitive or not. Follow the advice, do your best, and have fun with it!!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

All recruitments are competitive to some extent. There is nothing you can do about that. Just like you can't do anything about whether a given chapter feels pressured to take upperclassmen, blondes, tall girls, etc. Let it go.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's hardly any midriff bared. I think her outfit is much cuter and more appropriate than the cocktail dress with five inch platforms.
It's cute on her, but it looks more like a pool party outfit, and that skirt is going to be a pain if she had to sit on the floor.

Meanwhile, what's up with the girl next to her, who's sticking out her tongue at the camera?!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Meanwhile, what's up with the girl next to her, who's sticking out her tongue at the camera?![/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing about the young lady sticking her tongue out. LOL

I said to myself be nice.