GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,386
0 members and 2,386 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

RECRUITMENT IDEAS!!

This upcoming fall I am starting a new colony for Alpha Sig at my mostly commuter college in Ohio as part of my colleges commitment to increase student involvement. I want to know if anyone has any ideas or skits or anything that would attract guys to join this fraternity!
Also Ive noticed that some guys dismiss me with fraternities arent my thing. Whats a good comeback on that statment? All input from all greek orgs is appreciated..even sororities please!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Do you have a group of guys working with you already, or are you taking all the initiative for this yourself? Unless a new group is something that multiple students want, it usually will not succeed.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto with 33girl - what is the status of your "colony?" Is Alpha Sig involved? I'm going to refrain from responding further without information but before I joined Delta Chi I was in the early stages of forming an interest group, and then I was involved with my chapter as it was still a colony so I have some experience with Fraternity expansion from the undergrad side. Just interested in knowing where you're coming at this from.

As to skits, I absolutely shudder at the thought of involving them in fraternity recruitment.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post

As to skits, I absolutely shudder at the thought of involving them in fraternity recruitment.
Although I'm neither a guy nor in a social Fraternity, I must say I agree. I know a lot of guys who would probably be extremely turned off by this. But if it's a standard on your campus for all Fraternities to do skits, then I apologize.

"If you find the girls that love the you, you love..well then that's just fAbulΦus."

Last edited by court4short; 08-09-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

ask the guys who dismiss you with"fraternities aren't my thing" with, "what is your thing?" if they say sports, then point out how your colony plans on being involved in intramurals. if they say student government, tell them about your members who are involved in that , etc.

i agree-nix the skits.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope we didn't scare you away. This is a thread that has some pretty good advice about dynamic recruitment and it links to another thread that also has a lot of good advice.

The keyword here is dynamic recruitment. You need to meet as many guys as you possibly can and befriend them before you even bring up the subject of fraternity. I think you're getting a lot of "not my thing" responses because you're rushing the idea of a fraternity on them. Make friends with people and show them what you're all about (it's a lot easier than telling them) and by the time you invite them to rush events they already know you well enough to think that it could be their thing.

Also, I highly reccomend Good Guys a book by Phired Up Productions. Check out their website - they have a lot of excellent advice!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Skits can be VERY hit or miss, and I would generally avoid using them. Better to save them for Greek Week or something along those lines, they're more likely to turn off rushees during the rush phase.

Actually, I don't really see any benefit to a skit, and I see a bunch of drawbacks.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

We just started our colony too and it is going great for us. Get in very good with the sororities on your campus. That will always help get potential rushes. Also, throw parties. We just threw a huge open party last week and it was very successful. Anyone who wanted to was invited and we met a lot of people that we other wise wouldn't have known. Just really spread the word about your fraternity and everything that it stands for. Thats what weve been doing and it is doing great. good luck