GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,714
0 members and 1,714 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Singing/Chanting Each Round

For those of you whose chapters sing and chant these days...

In the past, we have done a different entrance and exit song for each of the 5 days. We are now thinking of doing the same entrance and exit song every single day except for pref where the entrance and exit song will be different.

What does your chapter do? What are your thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We do different but only have two rounds before pref so that's only 4 songs. I'd think with 5 you might want to use the same ones.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

So you have 3 days of singing...6 possible different entrance/exit songs...but only sing 4 different ones, correct?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I wasn't counting pref because that's a different kind of song. But counting that round (3 rounds total) we do 6 songs. But with 5 days you'd have 10 and I think that's too many to learn. I'd do 4 - 2 for pref and 2 for all the other rounds. Unless of course you have all voice majors that can learn songs at the drop of a hat!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think it is not only okay to reuse songs, but if you are at a school with a ton of chapters, it helps to create a cohesive identity for your chapter. I suggest using perhaps different entrance songs, but using the same exit song for each of the earlier rounds.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think it is not only okay to reuse songs, but if you are at a school with a ton of chapters, it helps to create a cohesive identity for your chapter. I suggest using perhaps different entrance songs, but using the same exit song for each of the earlier rounds.
I like this idea. I have this image of a PNM falling in love with the chapter and going home with the song stuck in her head every night.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I like this idea. I have this image of a PNM falling in love with the chapter and going home with the song stuck in her head every night.

I rushed 20 years ago, and I can remember many, many of the chants - even from houses I visited just one or twice.

The repetition is effective, and I think leaving them with the same chant each round (except prefs) is a great idea.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a collegian - all of the chapters had to sing the same "Go Greek" song first round for entrance and exit.

The chapter I advise at - no one at our campus sings or chants first round, but then they do a different entrance and exit song for each day, plus songs for skit and prefs, so that comes out to be 8 or 9 songs. (in/out philanthropy, in/out skit + 1-2 group songs, in/out pref + group ceremony song.) Some chapters have instrumental music instead of a song for the pref entrance. It can be a lot to learn.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
This is why I know the words to "Pat" eventhough I'm not a Kappa.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-26-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot quotes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
I rushed 20 years ago, and I can remember many, many of the chants - even from houses I visited just one or twice.
I feel like I will be the same. I know many of them too. Especially the house near, those poor girls have to practice at 8am during their spring workshops.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see songs and door chants disappear altogether. Now before anyone bites my head off, I have to ask...what does a door chant have to do with sorority identity? There are tons of chants and song videos on youTube and in most cases you can't tell which sorority it is or even what they are saying. As a PNM I was bored senseless with the loud drone of singing and clapping at each house. Naturally I identified with the chapter that choose to forgo the cheesy chanting for more meaningful songs and skits about sisterhood.

My chapter does it differently 6-8 of the tops singers do one short songs based on the theme for the day while the rest of the sisters are resetting and getting ready to pair off as soon as the song is over. We find we have allot more time for tours and real conversations. As the PNMs leave we all sing one song together.

I like the idea of one exit song and themed entrance songs. Chants should be reserved for Bid day and Football!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
I loathed the singing when I was in college. Mostly because TPTB in my chapter believed that how loud we screamed the songs was directly related to the quantity of quality members we would attract. We spent a TON of time and energy in the 6 days leading up to rush week and even more during rush week. Everybody lost thier voices and usually 15-20 members would come down with some degree upper respiratory infection.