GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,629
2 members and 2,627 guests
oncegreek, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-17-2002, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Question How to get a Greek System going??

I am curious and interested to know how exactly you get a greek system going in a private college that does not currently have one??? Is it a very long process, like more than 2 yrs?? What would need to be done??? Can anyone enlighten me????

Thanks for the help...
ronnie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OnePlus69Is70
I'd say first you need to talk to whoever's in charge of student activities, to make sure they're down with it- a lot of small private schools don't want Greek systems. If they are OK, then the next step would be to contact the national councils (NIC, NPC, and NPHC), who will contact their members and get it rolling. I've never heard of a campus completely without Greeks being started up all at once, but I'm sure it can be done.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey-did you just transfer to St. Thomas? For some reason, I thought you were in San Antonio...but I have been out of it for the past 7 weeks, so I could be wrong. St. Thomas might be a hard place to start a Greek system-they're small, private, and religious. Most of the people I know that went there are already Greek and transferred in.

I would do what oneplus69is70 said and talk to the office of student life, and see where they stand on it.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Yes, actually I just transferred this semester to St. Thomas from St. Mary's in San Antonio. Yeah I was curious because the first question evereyone asks is, "Do they have Alpha Phi there?" or "What sors/frats do they have?" So I was just wondering, because I am a junior in all. But thanks for the info...
If anyone else had any more advice I would love to hear it...
ronnie

p.s. ChiOJenn78: where are you? (school)
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiOJenn78
Hey-did you just transfer to St. Thomas? For some reason, I thought you were in San Antonio...but I have been out of it for the past 7 weeks, so I could be wrong. St. Thomas might be a hard place to start a Greek system-they're small, private, and religious. Most of the people I know that went there are already Greek and transferred in.

I would do what oneplus69is70 said and talk to the office of student life, and see where they stand on it.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a GLO

Hi,
I know this won't exactly answer your question about starting a GLO where none existed before, but there is a great thread in the "Rush" category entitled "Rush at UCSC" which illustrates what one courageous young lady has gone through for the last year attempting to start another GLO at her school. You might get some good information even though your situation is a little different.

Anna

Sorry, now that I reread, I see that you are already Greek. As Rosanne Rosannadanna would say "Never Mind".

Last edited by aopinthesky; 10-17-2002 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink LOL

aopinthesky: Thank you for trying to help and for your suggestion...

ronnie
Old 10-17-2002, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Ronnie,

I'm at UTMB in Galveston...but only for 6 more months!! And then I graduate!!

Anyhoo, I had a friend graduate from St. Thomas last May and she transferred in from TCU where she was a DG. Are you thinking of trying to start up a Greek system there??
Old 10-21-2002, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well...

The thought crossed my mind, but I don't know how serious that thought is because I am graduating in may 2004. I dunno if I would be able to
Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Herm, I say go for it! What do you have to lose? OnePlus69Is70 gave some good advice in suggesting you speak with somebody in the Student Life office.

I echo what ChiOJenn78 says though. UST is pretty religious, so I do not know if they will embrace the idea of Greek life, but that should not keep you from trying. Who knows. I may be at St. Thomas to help get things rolling. (Back-up only)