GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,300
0 members and 1,300 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I am sure we had this discussion at some point regarding alumnae at rush functions, but isn't there a way the school can keep them out? (Especially if rush is held in on campus buildings)
No. That would be interfering with membership selection.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

As an active alumna that works with collegiate Alpha Phi chapters, I can assure you that these practices DO NOT occur at all schools! It is not a "systemic-wide" strategy, and many, many, many on-sight local volunteers and the collegians they work with would cringe and rebel if even a scintilla of what is described in this document was implemented.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2hh View Post
As an active alumna that works with collegiate Alpha Phi chapters, I can assure you that these practices DO NOT occur at all schools! It is not a "systemic-wide" strategy, and many, many, many on-sight local volunteers and the collegians they work with would cringe and rebel if even a scintilla of what is described in this document was implemented.
I am not a sister of Alpha Phi, but I am familiar with the chapter on my small university's campus. I am quite sure that chapter hasn't embraced a strictly "appearance-based" recruitment process. There are only four NPC groups on campus, and a limited pool of women going through formal recruitment each year (quota this year was 15). Focusing on only the prettiest girls would be a recipe for not making quota, as there are two other NPC groups on campus who have long competed for a lot of the traditionally pretty/hot women. The Phis typically recruit a balanced and diverse pledge class each year, and they do a good job of it as they always make quota, and usually have quota additions every year.

Contrast that with the Alpha Phi chapter at the large state university just 45 minutes away, where many of the practices outlined in the Michigan document seem to be in full effect (and have been called out by many on campus). So perhaps this isn't an across-the-board recruitment policy on the part of the Fraternity, but rather something that's been put into practice at universities with large chapters, and highly-competitive Greek systems? The ones where too many people geek out over tiers, rankings, and Instagram pages?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM

I’ve seen it happen at a school with a mid size recruitment because they weren’t recruiting well enough. The chapter was very against it and lost the battle. I’m thankful to hear it’s not every chapter. It doesn’t happen with another smaller chapter I work with either. Though I wouldn’t put it past any sized school if it could be implemented successfully.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only speak as someone who has gotten to know Alph Phi girls at a large, brainy state school with an emphasis on tiers.

I've seen these girls with their sorority buttons on at games and events. They sure seem to be having a blast, hanging out with other Alpha Phis and girls in other chapters. And yes, by and large, they are an attractive bunch. Very beautiful overall. I don't know if they recruit based on looks but if they are, I don't know what the negative would be. I know other chapters on this campus are rumored to recruit based on looks, too, but that strategy just makes for a really pretty group if you are picking from a quality group during rush to begin with.

I know all of the girls were great students coming in. I know these chapters all have a similar college GPA. They have cheerleaders and girls involved in other campus activities.

I just don't see the drawback if you're pulling from a great pool during rush, don't have girls dropping, are a desirable house that makes quota consistantly, have a strong philathropy that most girls engage in and all.

The negative posts here just sounds like sour grapes to me, not to mention pure speculation! I mean, who knows, that doc or whatever it is could be a total fake.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't see the drawback of a values based organization recruiting solely based on appearances...?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckymer92 View Post
I can only speak as someone who has gotten to know Alph Phi girls at a large, brainy state school with an emphasis on tiers.

I've seen these girls with their sorority buttons on at games and events. They sure seem to be having a blast, hanging out with other Alpha Phis and girls in other chapters. And yes, by and large, they are an attractive bunch. Very beautiful overall. I don't know if they recruit based on looks but if they are, I don't know what the negative would be. I know other chapters on this campus are rumored to recruit based on looks, too, but that strategy just makes for a really pretty group if you are picking from a quality group during rush to begin with.

I know all of the girls were great students coming in. I know these chapters all have a similar college GPA. They have cheerleaders and girls involved in other campus activities.

I just don't see the drawback if you're pulling from a great pool during rush, don't have girls dropping, are a desirable house that makes quota consistantly, have a strong philathropy that most girls engage in and all.

The negative posts here just sounds like sour grapes to me, not to mention pure speculation! I mean, who knows, that doc or whatever it is could be a total fake.
I believe in my Fraternity.

I believe in the friendships formed in the springtime of my youth.

I believe in its high ideals which lift me up beyond myself.

I believe in its earnest drive for good scholarship, moral character, and genuine culture.

I believe in it as a shrine of international sisterhood wherein I may find love and loyalty, sympathy and understanding, inspiration and opportunity.

I believe in it as a creator of good citizenship, helping me to do my work well, to live in harmony with others, and to serve my country and to trust in God.

I believe in Alpha Phi.

-Annette Holt Hitchcock, (Pi-North Dakota) 1912.

Weird, I don't see anything in the Alpha Phi creed about being top tier or looking beautiful at the expense of choosing women who are kind and have good morals.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a recent grad of a large state university with a very competitive recruitment where everyone was freaked out about tiers and ranks. It was my observation that Alpha Phi was conducting a very looks based recruitment with the assistance if their national office but so was everyone else. There was lots of resentment against Alpha Phi by the other chapters for taking more than their proper share of the top tier looks based PNMs. A lot of it was just sour grapes.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM

I think it's safe to say most if not all chapters would like to attract attractive members. That isn't really what is being discussed here. We're talking about a total deviation from any selection criteria besides physical appearance. Even at brainy schools, there are PNMs with QRs or other barriers to entry, and there are less attractive PNMs who would greatly benefit a chapter. Additionally, it's the imposition of non-collegiate members in the selection process that is alarming.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ this.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Really?

Quote:

So my actual, first hand, in person, multiple occurrence experience may be pure speculation according to you? And you’re saying that the process I (and others) have verified as true is fake? I just want to be clear on this.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post

I believe in the friendships formed in the springtime of my youth.

I believe in its high ideals which lift me up beyond myself.

I believe in its earnest drive for good scholarship, moral character, and genuine culture.

I believe in it as a shrine of international sisterhood wherein I may find love and loyalty, sympathy and understanding, inspiration and opportunity.

I believe in it as a creator of good citizenship, helping me to do my work well, to live in harmony with others, and to serve my country and to trust in God.

I believe in Alpha Phi.

-Annette Holt Hitchcock, (Pi-North Dakota) 1912.
I always loved the second line of their creed. The whole thing is beautiful, really.

I know some Alpha Phis, and they're amazing, inside and out.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I always loved the second line of their creed.
I agree, as well as the first and last two lines. I love the affirmation, the simplicity, and the brevity. Short, sweet, to the point!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 View Post
You don't see the drawback of a values based organization recruiting solely based on appearances...?
No. Considering that girls that rush tend to be well put together individuals to begin with, rushing based on looks wouldn't make a hills' beans worth of difference except that you end up with the pretty ones. Even with a chapter actually rushing for looks, there will be average looking girls in the mix just based on the subjectiveness of what attractive is.

It's really she said-she said anyway. I smell sour grapes.

The chapter that I’m familiar with has been accused of rushing for looks yet they are successful from every aspect, as is the whole of Alpha Phi. That’s the bottom line.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
No. Considering that girls that rush tend to be well put together individuals to begin with, rushing based on looks wouldn't make a hills' beans worth of difference except that you end up with the pretty ones. Even with a chapter actually rushing for looks, there will be average looking girls in the mix just based on the subjectiveness of what attractive is.

It's really she said-she said anyway. I smell sour grapes.

The chapter that I’m familiar with has been accused of rushing for looks yet they are successful from every aspect, as is the whole of Alpha Phi. That’s the bottom line.
You’re speaking from a UT perspective. Because of the well known insane difficulty of that rush, it is far more self selecting than most. At many schools there are girls who cover all ends of the looks spectrum going through recruitment.

And I’m not sure how you (and your surprisingly similarly spoken poster commuter) can say this is “sour grapes.” The women confirming the blog post are already members of Alpha Phi. How can they be sour when they already have membership? Everyone else on this thread is talking about this practice as one they would be against whether ASA or KD or ZTA or anyone was doing it.