GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,961
0 members and 1,961 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMummy View Post
I do have one question/comment though...

My Girl says she was ignored at one of the houses. She says the girl who she was supposed to speak with instead chose to speak to her sorority sister. While I realize My Girl may not be everyone's cup of tea, what ever happened to manners?
Ugh...sadly this does happen. The girl may just not have had the best conversation skills, I know it was a aspect of recruitment that always made me nervous! Don't let it get your girl down tho - sounds like she had a great day.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to root for Notre Dame since it was just down the street from my host family's house and one of the things I miss most about Paris is walking home from the métro and seeing its majestic towers lit up against the night sky. Good luck to My Girl!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
I do have one question/comment though...

My Girl says she was ignored at one of the houses. She says the girl who she was supposed to speak with instead chose to speak to her sorority sister. While I realize My Girl may not be everyone's cup of tea, what ever happened to manners?
Unfortunately as the day wears on, manners seem to decrease exponentially. This is one of those times that the PNMs need to work the hostess they are paired with to keep the conversation flowing. Even going so far as asking to be introduced to someone else, for example:

"I was really involved with my Photography Club, do you have any sisters that are involved in the FSU Club? Oh really? Could you introduce me to her?"

or

"What can you tell me about the clubs and organizations your members support on campus?"

etc.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Unfortunately as the day wears on, manners seem to decrease exponentially.
This is so true. Everyone is tired and sick of making small talk. I suggest always having a few questions in your pocket that you can talk a lot about.

My "magic" question during recruitment was "Are you planning on studying abroad?" This always brought up a lot of interesting stories and I could introduce new sisters who had done a similar program, etc. I only had one girl ever say no. This could work on the PNM side as well. If the sister looks bored and you want to spark up the conversation, ask a question that you can answer with a long story, even if she isn't talkative.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Icewaters Day 2 - In Brief...Very Brief

Sadly, this won't be much of a recap. I was only able to briefly speak to My Girl after the computer selections. Work is getting in the way of my reporting!

My Girl said that she had a wonderful time yesterday. She liked all the houses and got aong well with most of the girls she spoke to. She wasn't sure if it was because she was used to the routine by the second day or these sororities were a better fit in general. She was just going on about what a good time she was having.

Computer selections seemed a little strange to me as my only information about ranking comes from a friend who was in college in the 80's and used bubble sheets! But from what I've read on the forums, I guess it works out in the end. Ahead of the pack is the Eiffel Tower. I don't know how the others placed on her list.

Today is Philanthropy and begins around 10am. Here's to hoping she has a full schedule! I'll get better details this evening.

-FSUMummy

By the way because I've been asked, the "rude girl" situation happened during the first third of the day. Surely, she wasn't out of small talk after three rounds. Regardless, My Girl said should she be invited back today she wouldn't hold it against the rest of the girls. We'll see soon enough.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

definately hoping for a full schedule for your girl(and some cooler weather )
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
By the way because I've been asked, the "rude girl" situation happened during the first third of the day. Surely, she wasn't out of small talk after three rounds. Regardless, My Girl said should she be invited back today she wouldn't hold it against the rest of the girls. We'll see soon enough.
I was at my daughter's sorority house this past weekend and watched the girls practice rushing (as I was rushing in and out woith stuff for her room that we forgot the week before) and got the feeling the new girls (sophomores) don't find making small talk as easy as we would think it is.

Some girls have the gift of gab and others don't and are self-conscious of it. I sure hope it wasn't just a rude girl although we all know there are some of those out there. I hope your daughter won't judge that house on just that one girl.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I surely did not have that gift and wish I could have spent of all recruitment in the kitchen working on refreshments. In spite of that, I am still a volunteer in my 23rd year of membership so, hey, we're not all great recruiters...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I surely did not have that gift and wish I could have spent of all recruitment in the kitchen working on refreshments. In spite of that, I am still a volunteer in my 23rd year of membership so, hey, we're not all great recruiters...
Somebody must have kissed the Blarney Stone for me. When we were colonizing a new chapter, a sister with whom I was never very close said, "Let Honey rush the hard ones - she can talk to anyone!" I took that as quite a compliment! I get soooo fruatrated with kitchen duty!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
definately hoping for a full schedule for your girl(and some cooler weather )

No such luck. It was in the 80s at 745 AM today. Highs all week will be in the 90s with high humidity. Low chances of afternoon rain.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day 1

My Girl was invited back to 8 houses! The maximum was 11. I think that's pretty good,and she was pleased. All the houses she wanted to see again invited her back so she was not upset at not having a full schedule.

She visited 6 today and will see the remaining 2 tomorrow. I'm sorry to say My Girl was a little vague with details. Her top two remain the same but number three has been replaced. Some of the girls she felt connections with on the previous days came to speak to her again but although she liked the girls just the same, she said she looked around and didn't think it would be a good fit at Champ-Elysees, Palace of Versaille, and Fountain Saint Michel.

So far, My Girl's top three are:
Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
River Seine

As of tonight, she said she would be happy to be matched with any of these.

Philanthropy Day 2 starts at 10 and should be a short day for her. She'll just have to wait around for a few hours for girl's with full schedules to finish so they can go to Computer Selections again. There are a few in the same situation, so it should be fine.

Tent talk is at an all time high and the claws are coming out ladies! The things My Girl tells me are being said are plain slanderous and I'm quite surprised no one has overheard and put a stop to it. I know it's not possible but maybe a little "shaming" for speaking ill should happen. Also, caty comments are being passed back and forth between several of the girls. Quite the spectacle I'm sure.

I'll check back tomorrow evening.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of bad weather - I feel absolutely horrible for the girls going through our rush (UT of course, open houses tomorrow!). The weather has been freakishly weird all summer (i.e. TONS of rain while incredibly hot) and tomorrow's forecast has us at a high of 94 with thunderstorms starting at 9 AM!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

fsumummy, great to hear that your girl was invited back to her favorites. hope she gets good vibes today.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEinZTA View Post
Speaking of bad weather - I feel absolutely horrible for the girls going through our rush (UT of course, open houses tomorrow!). The weather has been freakishly weird all summer (i.e. TONS of rain while incredibly hot) and tomorrow's forecast has us at a high of 94 with thunderstorms starting at 9 AM!!!

I feel bad for them as well. I start sweating the minute I walk outside. I cannot imagine being all made up and having to keep my makeup and hair presentable at all times.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Quote:

Tent talk is at an all time high and the claws are coming out ladies! The things My Girl tells me are being said are plain slanderous and I'm quite surprised no one has overheard and put a stop to it. I know it's not possible but maybe a little "shaming" for speaking ill should happen. Also, caty comments are being passed back and forth between several of the girls. Quite the spectacle I'm sure.

I'll check back tomorrow evening.
I've been watching the recruitment threads silently and this caught my attention. I hope someone reports to the recruitment counselors, college Panhellenic officers, and/or Greek advisor about this practice. Letting it go on will set a precedent, so to speak, that this kind of talk and behavior is acceptable as potential members and as active members of Panhellenic sororities. I worry about how those who are making slanderous and negative comments will act if/when they are members of an organization.