GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,505
3 members and 2,502 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question 2 QUestions about Incorporating and Sorority offices

Hey,

Would anyone happen to know how to go about incorporating a sorority?

Also, would anyone happen to know a website, or something about all the different officers involved, aside from pres/vp/treasurer, with position descriptions because my sorority is just about to assign people to offices, and we wanted to know all of the positions needed.

Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I believe you need a president, treasurer, and secretary. This is based on every non-profit I know.

To incorporate, it varies by state. You probably need a lawyer.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDy B View Post
Hey,

Would anyone happen to know how to go about incorporating a sorority?
It varies by state. Go to your state's Secretary of State office or Office of Corporations website & they will have all the necessary forms.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

As for officers, each group just creates what they need. Our seven executives are Pres, VP, Tres., Secretary, Member at Large (deals with issues sisters have with the sorority/with each other; runs standards board; in charge of awards, etc (my position)); Pledge Educator, and Recruitment
Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Just google "[insert your state] incorporation" or ask your greek advisor. My collegiate chapter was just recently re-incorporated and my Alumnae Association became incorporated this year as well. I wasn't involved with it, but it can be a tedious process.

As for officers, ask your Greek Advisor for help with that as well. That's what they are there for. Every university is different.

I will PM you a description of our officer list.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
My sorority incorporated a few years ago, I wasn't involved in the process, but definately get in contact w. your advisor and get all the necessary forms and consulting with a lawyer is probably a good idea. I believe you need a Pres, VP, Treasurer but depends on your rules of quorum for additional members. For us, quorum is like half plus 1 or something of the entire group in order to make decisions and out of that half, like half of those need to be officers.... it's been awhile for me and my memory is a bit hazy but I can ask my active sisters about it.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
My sorority incorporated a few years ago, I wasn't involved in the process, but definately get in contact w. your advisor and get all the necessary forms and consulting with a lawyer is probably a good idea. I believe you need a Pres, VP, Treasurer but depends on your rules of quorum for additional members. For us, quorum is like half plus 1 or something of the entire group in order to make decisions and out of that half, like half of those need to be officers.... it's been awhile for me and my memory is a bit hazy but I can ask my active sisters about it.
Ditto the consult a lawyer. When we first incorporated, we got help from a sister's uncle who was a lawyer. Last year when we re-incorporated the sister who did it got help from her dad who used to be a practicing lawyer. She said it would've been really difficult otherwise.

And Quorum is usually 2/3 vote from the active membership. The president usually does not vote. And those on poor standing usually do not vote. These are things you need to address in your constitution.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
My sorority just obtained incorporation on 10/25/07. We went through LegalZoom; who charged a fee; but they really did handle everything. We incorporated in the state of Florida and the cost was around $225 (fees vary by state). The timeframe was about 2 months from start to finish. http://www.legalzoom.com
Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

We have Pres, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, Pledge Mistress, Historian, and will most likely incorporate Philanthropy and Fundraising chairs.

*A sister in Zeta Xi is for eternity*
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Pres
VP
Secretary
treasurer
pledge master
philanthropy/social chair
recruitment chair
athletic chair (for greek night)
house "mom"