GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,534
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zasydneyarkz763
» Online Users: 1,069
2 members and 1,067 guests
bevinpiphi, MethrenLusia

Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you switch grad schools?

Here's the situation: I think my D can graduate next December (a bunch of AP credits and some summer school) instead of May. The graduate school program she wants usually takes the new grad students in August. Because of medical insurance (she must take 12 credits each semester) she needs to start grad school in January after she graduates. Could she stay at her own college for ONE semester taking grad school classes in her major and then transfer them to the other school where she wants to go to grad school (same state)? Has anyone ever "transferred" grad level classes? I hate to keep her at her university an extra semester taking 12 undergrad credits of "basket weaving" just to keep her health insurance current.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I think you can do that, but check with the school she'd be transferring to just to be sure.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 PM

A friend of mine had to transfer grad schools because the original lost its acreditation (sp?). It is possible but like any transfer credit she should check with the new school to figure out what they'll take. Also, she would need to be accepted into her current school's grad program to take the classes.

I know you don't want her to take useless classes, but it might be a lot cheaper if she enrolled for a sememster at a local community college.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I transferred during my doctorate because Hawaii was so expensive to live in. I didn't lose credits or time and was sooo lucky!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ That is lucky.

If I was the parent, first of all I'd let my daughter or son look into it on their own.

If I was the child, I would stretch out my time as an undergrad. For example, instead of five classes in Fall, I would try to take three in fall and three in spring, if that's enough to maintain the health insurance.

Undergrad was just fun man..... I would have never left early.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring can be tricky as an undergraduate (I'm a transfer) and I'm sure it can get even more complicated with graduate programs. However, the ease and feasability of transferring really depends on the two schools, especially the one to which she would be transferring. I would check into it thoroughly to make sure she wouldn't lose any hard-earned credits.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah...she could but it would depend on the program at the school she is looking to transfer to because graduate programs in the same field can be different depending on the focus of the program.

If she knows what classes she will take at school A, maybe she can send that information to the program director (including syllabus and course descriptions) to school B and see what they say. I guess my answer is it just depends...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Senusret, thank you for not coming right out and calling me a helicopter parent. :-)
But, yes she did check into it and they said she had to start grad school in the fall, which my husband said couldn't be true b/c he started his grad school in Jan (diff. state). So, since you guys have such a wealth of knowledge and experience out there I thought I'd just toss this problem (health insurance) out and see what your thoughts were. With my rotary blades whirrling, I did call the grad school and was told she could be over at the "College of Arts & Sciences" (not her school) as an "undecided" major for a semester. That would keep her health insurance current.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Wife'79 View Post
Senusret, thank you for not coming right out and calling me a helicopter parent. :-)
But, yes she did check into it and they said she had to start grad school in the fall, which my husband said couldn't be true b/c he started his grad school in Jan (diff. state). So, since you guys have such a wealth of knowledge and experience out there I thought I'd just toss this problem (health insurance) out and see what your thoughts were. With my rotary blades whirrling, I did call the grad school and was told she could be over at the "College of Arts & Sciences" (not her school) as an "undecided" major for a semester. That would keep her health insurance current.
You're welcome.

That's interesting that DH thought that. I know people who started various programs in January, but generally speaking, most schools I'm familiar with require a Fall start.

You could also pray that she didn't get sick for six months, which is what I did when I quit grad school LOL
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

There were a few people in my grad program who had transferred in a couple class credits, but I think it would depend on the program.

I'm with Senusret, though, stretch out undergrad and let her graduate with all her friends. Perhaps she can pick up a minor with just a couple extra classes? I probably could have graduated early, but told my parents that I would rather get a PT job for when I wasn't taking a full full load, than miss out on that extra semester.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I meant to mention that, too! If I had to do it all over again, I would have picked up a second minor (Anthropology).
Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Just an FYI ... many moons ago when I started my master's program, I started in Jan. (1980 - great way to start a new decade ) -- but perhaps the program she wants has a specific order requirement for taking classes and the first ones are only offered in fall.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you are correct and they have a sequence in the classes. Plus, you have to have a "mentor" accept you into the program before you can even attend.

I would love for her to have a minor or even take business classes she may need down the road if she's ever in a management position (and has to worry about budgets etc.) but alas, try telling a college kid anything......... sigh.

Stay and have fun? ha ha She wishes college were fun. She's neck deep in Organic Chemistry 2 and it's anything but fun.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

is it really cheaper to pay tuition for a semester than it is to pay health insurance for the same amount of time? or does she have a scholarship or something that covers her expenses?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If the graduate school is a Servicemember's Opportunity College (SOC) school, they will be more generous with the allowable number of transfer credits. Many MA/MS programs will only allow 6 credits (2 classes) max. Because of who they serve, SOC schools will allow up to 12 credits. Being a military dependent, even of a retiree, should help in that respect.

In terms of program start dates, some do have fall semester-only starts, some have fall and spring. The SOC schools tend to allow the student to start at any time especially if they run on a quarter or term schedule.