GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,605
Threads: 114,858
Posts: 2,159,947
Welcome to our newest member, YasminEsmo
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
epchick epchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: a little here and a little there
Posts: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
What exactly is Forbes' metric???
I have NO idea! The list shocked me as well, but I don't know much about a lot of those schools (like the private ones)

Ok, this is what I found about their "methodology":

1. Listing of Alumni in the 2008 Who's Who in America (25%)

2. Student Evaluations of Professors from Ratemyprofessors.com (25%)

3. Four- Year Graduation Rates (16 2/3%)

4. Enrollment-adjusted numbers of students and faculty receiving nationally competitive awards (16 2/3%)

5. Average four year accumulated student debt of those borrowing money (16 2/3%)

And this is what they said about how they chose the colleges:

Quote:
We chose to rank 569 schools, covering a variety of institutional types and classifications. We began with the first three tiers of the national doctoral universities ranked by U.S. News and World Report (USNWR), a total of 195 schools. In addition, we selected 186 schools, the top three tiers from the USNWR liberal arts college rankings. To take care of regional universities and colleges, we selected the top 20 master's level universities ranked from each region, North, South, Midwest , and West, a total of 84 schools. We also selected the top 10 baccalaureate colleges from each region, amounting to 41 total. We further added the 50 institutions with highest enrollments that were not already included in the rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
We already have a thread on the forbes list in the general chat forum for academics. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=98776

Not sure if I linked it correctly. This disucssion of tiers academically probably ought to be in that forum rather than sorority recruitment.
Well that's good, but I don't feel like transferring my discussion about Texas to the GL forum, when we've been talking about it for a while now here.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
texas*princess texas*princess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ooooooh snap!
Posts: 11,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
I gotta say that it looks like something is off with this list. I don't know what their metric is or what the list claims to demonstrate, but if it's prestige/competitiveness, something is off. First off, where is Rice? Did they opt out of Forbes' list? Rice should be on there and it should be the highest ranked school in Texas more than likely. SMU is also missing. And the idea that a University of Dallas degree is more competitive than a UT-Austin degree, or that UD is harder to get into than UT, or even that UD is a "better school" is nonsense to me. And Abilene Christian being ABOVE TCU and UH? That's total crap. I know a thing or two about Abilene Christian and what I know is not good - it's not a good school. Or at least NOT better than TCU or UH and for that matter UNT and UT-D. Some of the other things I could believe depending on what metric they're choosing - like UTEP at #7 for example, but Abilene Christian from what I know of it is pretty flat out crappy. And I still want to know where Rice and SMU are...
Yea.. I went to UNT, and I can't figure out why it's ranked above TCU either Something in that list is not right for sure... which is why I think those types of lists that make "tiers" are all crap anyway

For some reason I thought Austin College was a 2-yr school??
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-20-2008, 03:49 PM
YouTee YouTee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Yea.. I went to UNT, and I can't figure out why it's ranked above TCU either Something in that list is not right for sure... which is why I think those types of lists that make "tiers" are all crap anyway

For some reason I thought Austin College was a 2-yr school??
Austin College is a private 4 year university. I do know that it is known for its academics. Back when I went to school, it was considered one of the great schools for students interested in teaching. It's reputation in other subjects has steadily improved since I finished school. I don't know much more about it, but I do know that it has a pretty good academic reputation.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:51 AM
breathesgelatin breathesgelatin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,159
Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTee View Post
Austin College is a private 4 year university. I do know that it is known for its academics. Back when I went to school, it was considered one of the great schools for students interested in teaching. It's reputation in other subjects has steadily improved since I finished school. I don't know much more about it, but I do know that it has a pretty good academic reputation.
One of my best friends in grad school/Austin went to Austin College for undergrad. You might be confusing it with Austin Community College or something.

Austin College is a liberal arts school and my friend has good things to say about it. They actually have a really strong local fraternity/sorority system. It's interesting to hear about it and how it was different and yet the same as my national GLO experience at a liberal arts school. She wasn't Greek but her husband was - I forget which org.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 AM
breathesgelatin breathesgelatin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,159
Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
I have NO idea! The list shocked me as well, but I don't know much about a lot of those schools (like the private ones)

Ok, this is what I found about their "methodology":

1. Listing of Alumni in the 2008 Who's Who in America (25%)

2. Student Evaluations of Professors from Ratemyprofessors.com (25%)

3. Four- Year Graduation Rates (16 2/3%)

4. Enrollment-adjusted numbers of students and faculty receiving nationally competitive awards (16 2/3%)

5. Average four year accumulated student debt of those borrowing money (16 2/3%)
Who's Who and Ratemyprofessors.com...??!?!?! REALLY?

The others are somewhat more plausible.

Quote:
Well that's good, but I don't feel like transferring my discussion about Texas to the GL forum, when we've been talking about it for a while now here.

DITTO.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 AM
em_adpi em_adpi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas/Indiana
Posts: 522
Being a Texas girl, this list makes me laugh.

I don't know how some of the aforementioned schools ranked above others... wow.
__________________
Like it, love it, ΑΔΠ

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 09-21-2008, 08:07 AM
alum alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTee View Post
Austin College is a private 4 year university. I do know that it is known for its academics. Back when I went to school, it was considered one of the great schools for students interested in teaching. It's reputation in other subjects has steadily improved since I finished school. I don't know much more about it, but I do know that it has a pretty good academic reputation.
Austin College and Southwestern College in Georgetown, TX are both listed in the Colleges That Change Lives. CTCL schools tend to be LACs that focus on the actual teaching of the undergraduates rather than on graduate/professional education and/or research. http://www.ctcl.org/about/why-ctcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin
First off, where is Rice? Did they opt out of Forbes' list? Rice should be on there and it should be the highest ranked school in Texas more than likely. SMU is also missing.
Rice is 41 on the Forbes list. IMO, this is way too low considering the caliber of that school. SMU is 186. Southwestern is ranked at 133.
__________________
....but some are more equal than others.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
epchick epchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: a little here and a little there
Posts: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
Rice is 41 on the Forbes list. IMO, this is way too low considering the caliber of that school. SMU is 186. Southwestern is ranked at 133.
That's interesting. Why do you think it's too low? I think 41 out of 500+ schools is really good. I wonder why Rice nor SMU are listed in the Texas section?
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
RedRover RedRover is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: 40.34 N, 79.85 W
Posts: 81
Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Dis 'n' Dat ...

Is Greek Life as important at Texas A&M and Texas Tech as it is at the Austin campus of the University of Texas? Is recruitment as competitive at Tech and A&M as it is in Austin?

A couple of years ago, TEXAS MONTHLY had a article about the possible creation of third flagship university of the state. Tech was considered to be the logical choice, with its location as a major drawback. Ditto the El Paso campus of the University of Texas. The author of the article theorized that North Texas or Texas State might have a better chance of being designated "flagship." The author also mentioned the possibility of a brand new flagship campus being created in Dallas (more likely) or Houston (less likey). Friends tell me that the third flagship issue is a popular topic for TEXAS MONTHLY and other publications.

A friend's daughter went to St. Edward's in Austin, but she took her ROTC classes at the Austin campus of the University of Texas. She was amazed at the role Greek Life played on the campus and the lengths women went to to get into a sorority. My friend's daughter wasn't too impressed with a lot of the people she met at the Austin campus. She told her father "They may be smart enough to get into the U of T, but the truth is, I wouldn't want to follow a Texas grad into battle nor would I want to have to lead a Texas grad into battle. They are way too full of themselves. They ain't as smart as they think they are."
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 AM
breathesgelatin breathesgelatin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,159
Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRover View Post
A friend's daughter went to St. Edward's in Austin, but she took her ROTC classes at the Austin campus of the University of Texas. She was amazed at the role Greek Life played on the campus and the lengths women went to to get into a sorority. My friend's daughter wasn't too impressed with a lot of the people she met at the Austin campus. She told her father "They may be smart enough to get into the U of T, but the truth is, I wouldn't want to follow a Texas grad into battle nor would I want to have to lead a Texas grad into battle. They are way too full of themselves. They ain't as smart as they think they are."
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,957
There is what is sometimes referred to as the "UT attitude". I married a Longhorn, so I know of whence I speak.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
YouTee YouTee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRover View Post
Dis 'n' Dat ...

Is Greek Life as important at Texas A&M and Texas Tech as it is at the Austin campus of the University of Texas? Is recruitment as competitive at Tech and A&M as it is in Austin?

A couple of years ago, TEXAS MONTHLY had a article about the possible creation of third flagship university of the state. Tech was considered to be the logical choice, with its location as a major drawback. Ditto the El Paso campus of the University of Texas. The author of the article theorized that North Texas or Texas State might have a better chance of being designated "flagship." The author also mentioned the possibility of a brand new flagship campus being created in Dallas (more likely) or Houston (less likey). Friends tell me that the third flagship issue is a popular topic for TEXAS MONTHLY and other publications.

A friend's daughter went to St. Edward's in Austin, but she took her ROTC classes at the Austin campus of the University of Texas. She was amazed at the role Greek Life played on the campus and the lengths women went to to get into a sorority. My friend's daughter wasn't too impressed with a lot of the people she met at the Austin campus. She told her father "They may be smart enough to get into the U of T, but the truth is, I wouldn't want to follow a Texas grad into battle nor would I want to have to lead a Texas grad into battle. They are way too full of themselves. They ain't as smart as they think they are."
Greeks make up only 11% of the undergrad population at UT Austin (that includes ALL Greek organizations,not just IFC and NPC). That's roughly 4,000 students on a campus with 48,000 total students. Your "friend's daughter" is painting a picture of the average "Texas Grad" with pretty broad strokes, wouldn't you say? At a school that large, you've got ALL types, many of whom happen to be just as humble and worthy as any St. Edwards grad.

I graduated from UT, and I can say that the Greeks don't dominate campus life. They are a tiny minority on campus, which is NOT to say they don't make their presence known, of course. Then again, I did graduate a WHILE ago.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
OHNOITSJESS OHNOITSJESS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 530
Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Since we are talking about Texas, I hope those affected by Ike are all ok!
__________________
ΑΩΕ
The world will grow to count on me
WRECK 'EM TECH
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
epchick epchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: a little here and a little there
Posts: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitemom View Post
Today I found my daughter rush note book. Looking through it every sorority had a letter. They were all pretty much the same so I will summarize.

Below are the list of items I will need to introduce you to the chapter at the univeristy you will be attending.
Two pictures (one full body 5x7 and one full face 4 X 6 (This is the real differnce in the sororities. some want two some 3)
An unofficial current transcript
A resume of all you school and community activities, accomplishment and honors (try to keep this to 2 pages-- use page maker)
An official transcript mailed directly to me in June by the register at your school after final grades have been posted.
A copy of the Panhellenic sheet you completed
The names and phone number of the lady in XZY sorority who will be writing your recommendation and letters of support.

You are responsible for contacting your own acquantances in XYZ to ask them to write the official recommendation and letters or support for you. These ladies can live anywhere not just in your hometown. Please askas many as you fell comortable with. If you need help in obtaining names please contact me. It is important that you provide each person with a picture, a copy of you unofficial transcript and you resume. Have them mail the resume to me and I will forwrd your packet to the chapters.

Fall Rush - June 15 except UT Austin which is required by May 15 to June 1

Deferred Rush - August 1

I hope this helps. Others asked for 2-3 letters of support. I wished I had this info in Feb last year. Please excuse typo's
So i'm bringing up an old thread because i'm soooooo confused. I'm the rec coordinator for my alum chapter and all these HS girls and moms have been asking me what the chapter at so-and-so school (mainly UT, Tech and Arizona) need. I've been trying to get in contact with anyone with no luck. The advisors haven't answered my email, the lady who was the rec coordinator last year hasn't sent me ANYTHING. It's frustrating.

I have no idea what a "packet" is.....the Alumnae president said they don't need a packet anymore because when they register with the alumnae association it's all online. But I don't think that is what the girls have been asking me about.....they keep saying the "Alpha Phi packet." I'm just like

Anyone have aaaaaany information they can pass along to me? It would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
lauralaylin lauralaylin is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,258
PMing you epchick.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Recuitment Info Kitemom Sorority Recruitment 18 02-07-2008 04:21 PM
Formal Recruitement: Philanthropy Day emily0325 Alpha Gamma Delta 0 12-18-2006 03:21 PM
New Texas Colony! Texas Zeta jbezerra Phi Kappa Psi 2 04-28-2006 07:26 PM
Formal Recruitement mmcline Alpha Sigma Tau 1 07-28-2002 11:25 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.