GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,504
Threads: 114,854
Welcome to our newest member, milesqshuley966

Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Bid Day

I've heard that the Mom's go down for Bid Day at Tuscaloosa and meet their daughters at the sorority houses.

How do you know which house she joins to be there ahead of time? I'm going to try to surprise her and can't figure out where I should go. Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard that bid day at Bama is a huge event where family is encouraged and welcome to attend. Bids will be distributed at a central location which should be posted on the internet site for the Bama PC. After they open their envelopes they go their chapter houses for a reception and pictures. There is no way to know ahead of time where your daughter will receive a bid. My advice to you would be to let her know that you are coming. Bid day was crazy at Auburn, there were so many people present that there was no way I could have located my daughter amidst the frenzy. Plus, she may want to have you there just in case she needs some support if things don't go the way she is hoping. I was able to spend the early part of the day with my daughter, taking her out to lunch and doing a little shopping to help the time pass until bids were distributed. Afterwards, she was busy with pictures and celebrating with her sisters. We had about an hour and a half afterwards to spend together, but she really wanted to shower before pledge night so I dropped her off early. What I am trying to say, is if you want to spend any time with your daughter, plan to do it before bids and not after. It is really fun to be able to share this moment with your daughter and we are very lucky at Auburn and Bama to be able to do so! Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

strange but what we were told....

I went two years ago as the supportive cousin. This is going to sound wild but many families are told to hang out in front of the house their PNM preffed as number one. Our PNM's mom couldn't believe it and was a wreck but thanks to some good alumni friends we knew in the house, they came and confirmed she was on the list for us. It was weird to me but that year they received their bids in Bryant Denny and ran from there......
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSCAXO View Post
I went two years ago as the supportive cousin. This is going to sound wild but many families are told to hang out in front of the house their PNM preffed as number one. Our PNM's mom couldn't believe it and was a wreck but thanks to some good alumni friends we knew in the house, they came and confirmed she was on the list for us. It was weird to me but that year they received their bids in Bryant Denny and ran from there......
Yeah, you might want to get someone to confirm that. If she gets her second choice that could not be so good when you are standing on #1's lawn to congratulate her.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it was a real odd feeling but we heard it from multiple people. There are plenty of places you can "hang out" and see the girls run and not have to be parked on the front lawn. We kind of hovered on the very, very edge of the lawn to be safe!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to Alabama, and my mom and dad (and all of my friends' families, too) were waiting for me on the lawn of the house I preffed first..That is typically how it works - I don't think it has changed since I graduated 4 years ago. Usually girls have their cell phones to call their moms if it doesn't turn out that they get their first choice.

When I was there, girls opened their bids at the stadium and then ran to sorority row.

good luck to your daughter!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day is huge at Bama - quite an experience seeing all the girls running and screaming toward their new houses - and all the fraternity boys gawking! Go if you have the opportunity.
Stand near the traffic light on sorority row outside of the stadium entrance, and have your daughter call you on her cell phone and tell you where to meet her.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess I'm a little late chiming in considering Bid Day starts in about an hour. Why not have her call you on your cell phone? She doesn't even have to know you're in town.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter pledged two years ago. I went and stood in the street between the three houses she went to on pref night. There are so many parents and frat boys milling around. She texted me after she opened her bid so I knew where to go.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txborn View Post
My daughter pledged two years ago. I went and stood in the street between the three houses she went to on pref night. There are so many parents and frat boys milling around. She texted me after she opened her bid so I knew where to go.
Awww.. Txborn... your daughter pledged at the same time as Mdmom's daughter
Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wipledale
My daughter pledged last year. I went to Bryant Denny early enough to see her walk in (and where she could see me) and then was there when she came out. The place was a MAD House...the street by Bryant Denny and Old row was completely filled with people (mostly frat boys). I had heard how crazy it was but had NO idea until I witnessed it first hand. SO glad I was there...She did not get in the house she thought she would and she did txt me from inside the stadium as to which house she was in. I then proceeded to "wade" through the boys, parents and all the girls running to there house...Shew! Crazy...but it is VERY important to attend in my opinion..especially if things don't go quite the way your daughter planned. Be sure and locate the house(s) that she does have left so in case you miss following her over you know exactly where to go. Trust me, if you have not been before it can be quite overwhelming. I was warned way ahead of time and still cannot believe how big a deal it really is...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

wipledale, is your daughter content with her chapter now? i know that initially, when you think you are getting a bid from one house, only to find a bid from a different house in the envelope, it can be somewhat of a shock, but if the pnm gives it a chance, they usually find a good group of friends within their house and by the time they are on the other side of rush, they are very happy.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-13-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

What time is Alabama's bid day this year?

Nancy
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Its at noon, Nancy.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ladies!

When will we recieve the bid lists from Alabama and Auburn? I have a cousin going through at Auburn & wrote a few recs for girls attending Alabama.