GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,399
2 members and 1,397 guests
LaneSig, TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

About 30 Chi Omega members ousted following conflict with national headquarters

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2018/09/13...-headquarters/
Old 09-23-2018, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to say what I always say when these threads show up on GC:

(1) This is chapter business.

(2) there but for the grace of God go you and I. We (GLOs) all have our issues and problems. None of us are immune.

(3) Pretty sure Chi Omega acted in accordance with their constitution and bylaws. It's none of my business what they do. Nor should it be.

So, panhelrose, you go to GW, and this isn't your chapter. Curious as to why you posted it. Just asking. *shrug* You don't know the entire story and neither do I. Having been on both sides of the issue myself, dealing with problematic chapters as well as being in one, I cringe whenever I see these negative one-sided reports. Actually I do more than cringe, but that's all I care to say at the moment.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Membership reviews are the booool sheeeet. Either bag the whole chapter or keep the whole chapter. To pit it against itself is uncool.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
lol no you don't. I just posted about an organization with more turmoil than this and you said nothing.

People post these kinds of articles because they are interesting and they are part of Greek culture. Knowing that what happened to this group on that campus is all part of being informed, from potential members to parents.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Membership reviews are the booool sheeeet. Either bag the whole chapter or keep the whole chapter. To pit it against itself is uncool.
I agree. I think I first learned of membership reviews way back when that DePauw situation happened.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

(1) This is chapter business.

(2) there but for the grace of God go you and I. We (GLOs) all have our issues and problems. None of us are immune.

(3) Pretty sure Chi Omega acted in accordance with their constitution and bylaws. It's none of my business what they do. Nor should it be.

So, panhelrose, you go to GW, and this isn't your chapter. Curious as to why you posted it. Just asking. *shrug* You don't know the entire story and neither do I. Having been on both sides of the issue myself, dealing with problematic chapters as well as being in one, I cringe whenever I see these negative one-sided reports. Actually I do more than cringe, but that's all I care to say at the moment.
It's news about Greek life. Not sure why it shouldn't be posted.

Panhelrose posted the link and didn't even add any commentary. She didn't suggest the chapter is in the wrong, nor did she say the national organization is being unreasonable. She simply informed us of a situation involving an NPC organization.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate that the chapter had to go through this, but I had a really hard time following what the problem was. Was it because of the unauthorized mixer or because they made a statement against what happened in Charlottesville? Regardless, I agree with 33girl, membership reviews are bs.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
It's news about Greek life. Not sure why it shouldn't be posted.

Panhelrose posted the link and didn't even add any commentary. She didn't suggest the chapter is in the wrong, nor did she say the national organization is being unreasonable. She simply informed us of a situation involving an NPC organization.
This. It's a news story that would be of interest to people here. She's not giving away secrets.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 PM

As a side note, “Flannery Lawrence” is possibly the most Southern name ever.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
lol no you don't. I just posted about an organization with more turmoil than this and you said nothing.

People post these kinds of articles because they are interesting and they are part of Greek culture. Knowing that what happened to this group on that campus is all part of being informed, from potential members to parents.
If memory serves, one particular Chi Omega here on GC posts thread links to stories concerning similar matters for both fraternities and sororities. In this instance that particular Chi Omega did not choose to share the link, and panhelrose did.

Last edited by Cheerio; 09-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

It was the 1st I saw or heard of it!

Don’t feel bad about calling me out — I post good and bad because it’s in the interest of GC to know both! Congrats on the good and knowledge of the bad so chapters/advisors/alumni/HC can address the issues.

But, as a chapter Panhellenic Advisor, I wish the only stories there were to post were good. Sadly, they’re not.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sen's Revenge: The reason I didn't post anything on your thread or respond is because I have you on ignore. Only way I knew you posted anything here is because someone else quoted you. LOL. Further, as a general rule I stay out of anything that isn't my lane. If you posted something that was non-NPC I wouldn't comment, and I likely wouldn't even have seen it.

To the rest of you: I still stand by what I wrote. I don't see the purpose of this post coming from an active of another chapter on that campus. I took the time to review her other posts before I fired off a response. YMMV. Whatever.

Let's just agree to disagree on this. I've been on both sides of membership reviews and I happen to disagree with 33 and amIblue?. I have seen them work to a chapter's advantage.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To the rest of you: I still stand by what I wrote. I don't see the purpose of this post coming from an active of another chapter on that campus. I took the time to review her other posts before I fired off a response. YMMV. Whatever.

Let's just agree to disagree on this.
You're completely entitled to your opinion and I respect you for standing by your convictions with regards to Greek life news posts such as these. Similarly, I feel little need to defend or explain my reasoning for posting it, as most people on this thread seem to understand my intention.

FWIW, I am not an active at this university.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
You're completely entitled to your opinion and I respect you for standing by your convictions with regards to Greek life news posts such as these. Similarly, I feel little need to defend or explain my reasoning for posting it, as most people on this thread seem to understand my intention.

FWIW, I am not an active at this university.
My bad. You graduated! Congratulations.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

What’s the issue? It IS of interest when and how chapters have a shift like this. I don’t understand the problem.
Closed Thread