GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,644
Threads: 114,859
Welcome to our newest member, Charolette
» Online Users: 320
4 members and 316 guests
Duffy2012, Kevin, terbantesbrig

Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Loyally Kappa and Bamamom 13, thank you for the information about Bid Day pictures.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Out of the frying pan into the fire, if you ask me.
That's exactly what I was thinking...from 17 sororities to 9? Then again, I would assume most of the girls that do this are set on one or two and if they don't get them they won't pledge, so I guess the number of groups on campus is kind of a moot point.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

You're very welcome. As it is, I received an envelope with photos in the mail from them today and the envelope just happened to be right in front of me ... heheh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas APhi View Post
Loyally Kappa and Bamamom 13, thank you for the information about Bid Day pictures.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Do these women then attempt to transfer BACK to their old school and affiliate with that chapter once they get a bid?

I've heard of that happening.

Like, Suzie gets released from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Auburn, gets a bid to ABC, then transfers BACK to Bama and becomes a Bama ABC.

Or Suzie gets cut from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Smaller Alabama University, pledges ABC and returns.
THis happened at my school.

PNM rushes with plans of joining *only* XYZ. Nevermind that she did not have the family connections, appearance, or personality to be one. Of course she got cut after 2nd round and she dropped out.

She spends the rest of freshman year saying that she will rush again to be an XYZ. So, sophomore year she rushes again. By 2nd round she has been cut from all chapters, including her beloved XYZ. Since rush was before school started, she then transferred back to her hometown, tiny, non-competitive campus and pledges their chapter of XYZ.

Junior year she shows back up again on our campus and tries to affiliate with those same girls who cut her twice.

Make that three times. They did not vote to affiliate her.

She stayed at our school through graduation and wore her letters all the time. The members of XYZ did not give her the time of day.

It is a shame. Our campus had 10 fantastic chapters, but she would not consider any of the others for even a second. Oh well. Her loss.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
THis happened at my school.

PNM rushes with plans of joining *only* XYZ. Nevermind that she did not have the family connections, appearance, or personality to be one. Of course she got cut after 2nd round and she dropped out.

She spends the rest of freshman year saying that she will rush again to be an XYZ. So, sophomore year she rushes again. By 2nd round she has been cut from all chapters, including her beloved XYZ. Since rush was before school started, she then transferred back to her hometown, tiny, non-competitive campus and pledges their chapter of XYZ.

Junior year she shows back up again on our campus and tries to affiliate with those same girls who cut her twice.

Make that three times. They did not vote to affiliate her.

She stayed at our school through graduation and wore her letters all the time. The members of XYZ did not give her the time of day.

It is a shame. Our campus had 10 fantastic chapters, but she would not consider any of the others for even a second. Oh well. Her loss.
Okay, this is clearly crazy behavior, and it would make me kind of nervous to have this person as a sister at any level of membership.

But I still don't really like it generally when chapters deny affiliation.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Panhellenic at Alabama is a long established system. Whatever the perceived faults of how things are done it has stood the test of time. For Kappa Delta it is a single letter chapter. Delta Delta Delta celebrates 95 years on campus in 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post
Zeta is also a single letter chapter and will celebrate its 100th anniversary in spring of 2010.
ADPi is a single letter Chapter as well. It is the 2nd oldest active Chapter in the organization (Texas being the oldest).
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gam is also a single letter chapter: Psi Chapter.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-19-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

As is SDT - Rho chapter
Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

For the sake of anyone reading who does not know what a single letter chapter means, (correct me if I'm wrong) the founding chapter is Alpha, the next one colonized is Beta, the next one is Gamma, and so forth and so on using the letters of the Greek alphabet. Once all the letters are used, like any good cryptograph, the next round begins with double letters. So a single letter chapter is usually pretty darn old and well-established.

Did I remember that right?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
For the sake of anyone reading who does not know what a single letter chapter means, (correct me if I'm wrong) the founding chapter is Alpha, the next one colonized is Beta, the next one is Gamma, and so forth and so on using the letters of the Greek alphabet. Once all the letters are used, like any good cryptograph, the next round begins with double letters. So a single letter chapter is usually pretty darn old and well-established.

Did I remember that right?
For the most part - AOII does something completely different, and Pi Phi uses a system that combines the state with the alphabet - Texas Alpha, Texas Beta, etc., for example. But yes, many NPC groups use a sequential Greek alphabet system.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, although for at least in Kappa Delta some of our oldest chapters are named for other groups or people, for instance, our Kappa Alpha chapter at Florida State, one of our oldest chapters, is named for Kappa Alpha Fraternity. For a while, anyway, it appears there were choices for chapter names. Any other groups that have chapters with a similar history? (I'm beginning to sound like OLDU )
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
And Chi Omega which goes thru the greek alphabet backwards and Alpha Gamma Delta which had a regional naming scheme.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM

The how chapters get named thread
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
Not sure when this went into effect, but the dates are now set so that it will be too late for anyone to withdraw and transfer AND get their tuition money back. They are "stuck" for at least one semester and perhaps they will adjust to the situation.
The year I went through in 1996 was the last year it was before school started. Then in Fall of 1997 they started "deferred." Some years it is 6 weeks into classes, other years it has been longer and even shorter. But the retention rates have improved a bit but not that much. (I have those stats at work and I believe the Office of Institutional Research has those online as well.)

Glad you are liking Oxford Loyally Kappa! After I graduated I never left!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all the information here! I am an OOS Mom whose D will probably be at UA next fall. There are absolutely no Greek connections on either side of the family, as we are originally from the Northeast. I've just read through this entire thread with my D next to me and we've learned so much.

I have a question that may be answered somewhere else on this site so my apologies if that is the case: in a few of the posts, there was mention about the "reputation" of particular sororities; some seem to have more wealthy, socially connected members, etc. Is there anyway to find out those types of reputations before arriving on campus? And does that reputation follow that sorority from campus to campus?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
RobD