GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,548
0 members and 1,548 guests
No Members online

Old 10-01-2019, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Possible Pledging For An Online Student?

I know this topic has come up a few times. In my opinion, my situation is a bit different (or not). It is regarding online students wanting to pledge. The school I am currently attending is Arizona State. The school does have it's own chapter. However, I live many states away from the school and I take online classes, 12 credits per semester and my GPA is a very high. I have looked into a chapter that is nearby. Would anyone know what steps to take to verify this information? Should I wait until I graduate to pledge instead? I am very interested and I appreciate any answers. Thank you, Kiana Stevens.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think there is any way to do this. Schools require you to be a full-time enrolled student in order to enter recruitment, so you couldn't pledge at a school you don't attend. If you wanted to pledge at the school you DO attend (like if you moved closer), you could ask them if fully online students can pledge. I know that one of my daughters attended a spring-summer program at the University of Florida, and they made it so that students in this program could join pledge in the fall, even though they were not taking in-person classes in fall.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of organization are you looking into? YMMV.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What kind of organization are you looking into? YMMV.
AKA. The school is located in Arizona. I am on the east coast.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

AKA. The school is located in Arizona. I am on the east coast.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

After I posted that, I wondered whether it was a black Greek organization. I have some friends who are in Delta Sigma Theta, and I know they and other black Greeks do things differently and initiate alumni, whereas Panhellenic sororities (or the ones I know anyway) do not. I think you should contact the organization itself and ask your question. It may be you'll have to wait until you graduate. It seems like they have FAQ that deal with a lot of questions, but not exactly yours.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxie View Post
After I posted that, I wondered whether it was a black Greek organization. I have some friends who are in Delta Sigma Theta, and I know they and other black Greeks do things differently and initiate alumni, whereas Panhellenic sororities (or the ones I know anyway) do not. I think you should contact the organization itself and ask your question. It may be you'll have to wait until you graduate. It seems like they have FAQ that deal with a lot of questions, but not exactly yours.
Thank you! I really appreciate it!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxie View Post
I have some friends who are in Delta Sigma Theta, and I know they and other black Greeks do things differently and initiate alumni, whereas Panhellenic sororities (or the ones I know anyway) do not.
Untrue. Almost every NPC sorority does alumna initiation, at least in some situations. Please stop guessing about things you don't know about.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Just throwing this out there...
If it is sisterhood you are after, Beta Sigma Phi has chapters all over the world, and we have active online chapters that might feel like home for you.

Please understand that the Beta Sigma Phi experience is NOT the same as a collegiate sorority experience or even the alumni experience. However, it can provide the network of friendship, sisterhood, tradition, and service that may appeal to you.

I hate to see people give up on Greek tradition and sisterhood just because they didn't have a traditional college experience!
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 10-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

She said she was interested in AKA. Not cool to be recruiting for your own organization.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, my apologies! I didn't read more than a couple comments in the thread. I thought this student was being told that Greek life wasn't possible for her due to distance. I should have been more thorough in my reading.

Because my organization is not even in the same category as the groups typically discussed here, extending a hand of friendship has always been looked upon favorably here on GC. (At least in the years when I was very active in the past.) I have seen the same happen numerous times with Junior League and others. No harm intended! I just hate to see an eager person turned away due to logistics.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the advice!
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
Just throwing this out there...
If it is sisterhood you are after, Beta Sigma Phi has chapters all over the world, and we have active online chapters that might feel like home for you.

Please understand that the Beta Sigma Phi experience is NOT the same as a collegiate sorority experience or even the alumni experience. However, it can provide the network of friendship, sisterhood, tradition, and service that may appeal to you.

I hate to see people give up on Greek tradition and sisterhood just because they didn't have a traditional college experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
She said she was interested in AKA. Not cool to be recruiting for your own organization.
These are not the same types of organizations. A woman can be a member of an NPC sorority, or an NPHC sorority, and also be a member of Beta Sigma Phi. Most BSP chapters are not affiliated with a university or college. Most BSP members are adults. There are collegiate chapters and college students are members, but most are not.
I'll agree it's not cool to be recruiting in the same thread, though.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep. I just saw a woman looking for a home, and she was being told no. I jumped too quickly! I am sorry.

Your assessment of BSP is accurate. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Kiana, it seems you would get more benefit with a chapter in your own neck of the woods.