GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,189
3 members and 1,186 guests
baadamashtolzea, indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Wearing letters

If I'm exclusivly dating a fraternity brother am I allowed to wear his hoodie with his letters on it around campus. Also, do all members get a lesson telling them that lavaliering and pinning a girl exists or is this just something you're supposed to know? Thanks!

Last edited by sublime_23; 03-10-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime_23 View Post
If I'm exclusivly dating a fraternity brother am I allowed to wear his hoodie with his letters on it around campus...if it means anything hes in ATO. Also, do all members get a lesson telling them that lavaliering and pinning a girl exists or is this just something you're supposed to know? Thanks!
1) Ask him. He's your man, not ours.

2) I personally think wearing other people's clothes is gross.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I wasnt sure if there was a rule, I remember in high school the football players would get in major trouble for letting their girlfriends wear their jerseys. I wear his clothes all the time! and if thats gross, I wonder what you would call the other things we do
Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 AM

It depends on the chapter. I thought only girls who were either chapter sweethearts or lavaliered to a brother were allowed to wear letters of the fraternity? That's at least how it works on my campus, but like I said, every chapter is different.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

So would he have been told if this was acceptable? I dont want to ask him, just he leaves his things in my room all the time and I dont want him to get kicked out or in trouble if I decide one day to throw on one of his lettered shirts or sweaters. I'm not in the greek system (my school is gigantic and I decided to be stuck up and not join anything other than the best not knowing how cut-throat it is here, however I am trying again next year and will be back at this site for recruitment tips) so since I'm not in the Greek system I'm not sure about any sort of etiquette. Does anyone know if their taught about all that pinning business? Any links to threads about sweethearts and all that good stuff?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 AM

I suppose if it were unacceptable in his fraternity, someone would let him know.

Do a search (using the search button at the top of the page) for words like "pinning" "lavaliering" and "sweethearts" and you should get some links to threads about those topics.

Just some advice about rush: If you're going to go through recruitment, you shouldn't be "stuck up" and not want to join "anything but the best". If you keep that attitude, you're headed for disappointment, because a stuck up attitude will get you cut pretty quickly. In order to be successful at recruitment, you should be open minded about all sororities. Lots of times, the sororities you might think are "the best" really aren't that great once you meet them. And sororities that you really didn't hear much about before rush, you might end up really liking. So don't limit yourself. Check out the Rush forums for more advice.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-09-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I'm exclusivly dating a fraternity brother am I allowed to wear his hoodie with his letters on it around campus...if it means anything hes in ATO. Also, do all members get a lesson telling them that lavaliering and pinning a girl exists or is this just something you're supposed to know? Thanks!
Rules and procedures on both of these things vary from fraternity to fraternity (some have national policies, others do not), and among chapters and campuses.

Best bet on the hoodie: Do not wear any of his lettered clothing unless he offers.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Guest1

no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
1) Ask him. He's your man, not ours.

2) I personally think wearing other people's clothes is gross.
You obviously don't have a big, strong boyfriend, do you...they're clothes are the best, brother! Seriously, you dont know what you're missing
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If a brother hasn't lavaliered someone he probably doesn't know. Drop a hint. That's a chapter to chapter thing a lot of the time.

If he offers to let you wear his letters, then wear them, because if he wasn't supposed to he'll be the one who gets in trouble, not you. And that's his perrogative...he should ask his big brother or something before he hands it over. I don't know what the rule is...here people get lavaliered every now and then, but no one wears each others' jerseys unless it's for an event like Lip Jam (we wear our team's jerseys) or Anchor Splash or something.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wear his clothes all the time! and if thats gross, I wonder what you would call the other things we do

Um yeah, I feel like I need to take a shower after reading this irrelevant look into your personal life.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Girls wearing dude's letters

Chicks wearing letters are pretty hot, but it might get your frat guy's b***'s hazed.

Hope this helps,

Mitch