GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,723
0 members and 1,723 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation ULM suspends its Kappa Sigma Fraternity chapter

ULM suspends its Kappa Sigma Fraternity chapter
By Gwendolyn Ducre | Posted: Thu 5:56 PM, Oct 12, 2017 | Updated: Fri 1:34 AM, Oct 13, 2017
http://www.knoe.com/content/news/ULM...450672133.html

MONROE, La. ULM President Nick Bruno took serious action toward one of it's fraternities just hours after the screenshots made it to the Student's Affairs Office.

Though ULM did not identify the exchange that led to Kappa Sigma's suspension, these were the posts that were circulating on social media shortly before the announcement. / Oct. 12th, 2017

"I'm angry and embarrassed by the action of those ULM students," said Bruno.

Bruno confirms the screenshots were taken from a group message using the Group Me app. It's a thread among the fraternity's pledges.

It appears the conversation started with a student asking for research topics for a class paper. People started replying with things like: "The difference between the n-word(sic) and black people." And, "why black lives don't matter."

Bruno said those comments don't represent the campus and he expects better representation from students.

"I expect them to be sensitive. I expect them to act with civility and respect."

KNOE went by the fraternity house for comments, but we didn't get an answer. However, other students didn't hold back their opinions.

"How are we suppose to grow like that-black and white? How are we suppose to come together when you want us to be separated? Or you want to degrade us?" ULM student Delanie Brown said.

Bruno said this was in a private conversation, but action was still needed here.

"Of course we want everyone to have their rights. We want everyone to have their opportunity to express their opinions," Bruno said.

Students said some things are better left unsaid.

"It seems like there might have been some joking going on, but regardless, this doesn't represent the school," ULM student Jordan Morley said.

"Do people really think of us like that, because I'm sure we're a lot more than that," said

Bruno said he apologizes to any student who personally feels offended by the comments.
He said those involved will be sent to campus discipline while a full investigation is underway.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

The University will probably get away with this because Kappa Sigma HQ will do the right thing and suspend this group anyhow. Universities should not be in the business of policing or punishing students for private conversations unless those conversations are in furtherance of some sort of conspiracy to do physical harm to someone. This is almost on the level of ULM becoming the Thought Police. It's Orwellian.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-14-2017, 03:29 AM

Can they make the excuse that they were using university wifi or something? (Technology dunce here)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

An appropriate response for the school would be to cut off the wifi to the students in question--not suspend a fraternity. What the school did here is completely unconstitutional.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Could the university be using the reasoning that this was in a GroupMe that the chapter knew about it and feel that the chapter leaders should have stepped in right away and shut the conversation down?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't matter. The University cannot legally punish students for insensitive speech. Kappa Sigma can and should do something. The school needs to stay within its Constitutional lane.