GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,532
0 members and 2,532 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas UPC Recruitment Guide 2012

http://issuu.com/shweikimedia/docs/sororitylife_ut_2012
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
If you are in love with the letters and not the girls, you are on a slippery slope.
This is SO important for PNMs to realize. As a senior, I have friends that LOVE their chapter and friends that HATE their chapter. It makes me sad to see girls who were "SOOOOO THRILLED TO BE A XYZ" 3 years ago and never go to meetings/events/dinners anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And you left off the alumnae advisers who each have THEIR own list of girls they want in. No, they're not supposed to have a vote, but I have a feeling there is some input.
Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
As of the first deadline of July 31 (that is when the $85 fee goes to $95), they had over 800 PNMs registered. The hard deadline is two weeks away and you will see that number escalate. With the housing issues at UT this year, it could be why there is delay in registration (although I was told hundreds registered the last two weeks last year) so who knows where the numbers will land. Freshman enrollment is up 8.5%
The list I got today only at 845 on it
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been here for a little bit more than one year and I just decided to go to UT.I started to send my packets to alumnae. I know that it is late but I want to give it a shot. The alumnae were very nice to me. Finally I have RIF for 7 houses but I am so stressed and scared. I am cute, funny and smart. However The fact that I will be a sophomore, I am black, I have an accent and I won't have enough letters really freak me out. Do you think that I have my chances? Can you give me some advice please?

Last edited by princesssluv8; 08-03-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I just really looked at the dates for UT recruitment and realized that bid day is a Tuesday. How do they do their bid day in the afternoon or evening?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
I just really looked at the dates for UT recruitment and realized that bid day is a Tuesday. How do they do their bid day in the afternoon or evening?
Arrowlady, the girls meet at Hogg Auditorium at 5:00 and bids are given. The girls then go back to the thier respective houses as a group and meet thier new sisters. Most if not all of the chapters have special activites planned for the new members that night. Classes start the next day..Wednesday.

The year my daughter pledged, bid day started at 1:00...which meant a whole lot more time for shenanigans. There were some incidents (Im sure this wasnt the first year) so Panhellenic decided to make bid day later in the day and have a curfew of sorts for the new members. I did not hear of any incidents last year, however, Im sure I dont know it all..

My daughter will be a junior this year and has an 8:00 class...so she is happy to get to bed at a decent time.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugmom View Post
Arrowlady, the girls meet at Hogg Auditorium at 5:00 and bids are given. The girls then go back to the thier respective houses as a group and meet thier new sisters. Most if not all of the chapters have special activites planned for the new members that night. Classes start the next day..Wednesday.

The year my daughter pledged, bid day started at 1:00...which meant a whole lot more time for shenanigans. There were some incidents (Im sure this wasnt the first year) so Panhellenic decided to make bid day later in the day and have a curfew of sorts for the new members. I did not hear of any incidents last year, however, Im sure I dont know it all..

My daughter will be a junior this year and has an 8:00 class...so she is happy to get to bed at a decent time.
Thanks for the info. I thought UT started on the 27th like other universities in the state. Now it makes sense to me!
I have 1 rec girl going thru at UT so was trying to make notes on when to start my FB stalking lol..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Princessluv8, there is NOTHING you can do about any of those things at this point, so try to stop worrying about it. Focus on having a good time and that's all you can do. Also, you've made yourself completely detectable based on your description of yourself, so I would refrain from posting any more information publicly on this site. Try to keep a positive attitude, and let us know how it turns out in the end. Good luck!

eta/I added the qfp so my response would make sense, but as pinapple has suggested, I'm deleting for the protection of the rushee.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 08-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it would be in Princessluv8's best interest if DubaiSis would remove her QFP and Princessluv8 edits her post to remove identifying information.

Now back to the thread already in progress....Ladybugmom is correct...bids are released at 5:00 and each house will have a group of actives waiting outside the auditorium doors with signs that identify that particular chapter. All new PNMs of each house walk behind the sign and I believe really enjoy this time to talk to each other because once they get to the house, shirts are changing and/or actives take PNMs to their dorms to change, depending on what activity each house does. Most houses take their PNMs to dinner (charter buses ususally show up to the houses to pick the girls up) Most houses also give their PNMs a huge basket full of goodies to celebrate their new house. Some actives stay behind and go on a room/door decorating fest so when the PNMs get back from their activity they are greated at their rooms with their sorority letters. I find that so much fun!

On a different note, although bid day is about celebration, for some PNMs it is a day of confussion and disappointing results. When an envelope is opened and a house revealed that was not the PNMs first choice, this can be a very, very hard day. I think it is SO important for their to be appointed actives to pull these girls aside (hopefully happy actives that didn't get their first choice either and now can't imagine being any where else) and try to let them know that these feelings are natural and to stress how happy the active is that this particular PNM is here. It would be really nice for a PNM that just can't handle a "celebration" that an active take that PNM to dinner one to one to help her make a transition in a situation she may not want to be in. Usually this drastic of a situation is not warranted, but it can happen and having a back up plan would be really smart for most houses. It is equally has hard for girls to witness that who are at the house because it was their number one choice and as most young women are compassionate people, may feel the need to harbour their excitement to protect the feelings of a hurt PNM.

Best of luck to all the UT PNMs and actives...here is to a wonderful work week and wonderful recruitment.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that is a wonderful suggestion Pineapple. Let's face it, there are probably just as many girls that get thier second or third choice than there are that get thier first choice. Im sure if you polled many of the PNM's they would tell you just that..however, they would also say that things worked out for them and they couldn't see themselves anywhere eles.

There needs to be a system in place to try to help these PNM's see that the system works. If they will just stick it out, they can have a wonderful experience.

One of the saddest things is to hear of a girl that drops because of 'tent" talk or other pre-concieved notions and then finds that she could have been really happy with what she had..she sees that girls that she really likes or respects stuck it out and went with that particular house or houses and she regrets her decison..but at that point it's too late..my daughter told many stories just like this...

Last edited by Ladybugmom; 08-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry if I gave too many details. I am new here so I did not know. I edited my post. I hope that it is better. I am sorry again
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Pinapple and Ladybugmom you are both very wise women! Your advice is rock solid. I have told my daughter the same thing on getting first choice, it doesn't always happen but that sometimes 2nd or 3rd choice is really the better fit and to trust the system I will still be a nervous wreck during her recruitment week

princesssluv8- its a "rookie" mistake to over state on the board, don't worry about it. Just go through and try to have fun. It is a tough recruitment at UT, but you will have the opportunity to meet a ton of fantastic young women.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your replies. But do you think that I have my chances? Could you please PM me the name of the soroties which use the sophomores quota?
Thank you
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Please try to relax and TRUST the process. Spend this nervous energy getting your outfits together and making sure you present a polished front. This where you can make a difference at this point. GPA, the color of your skin, your hometown....that can't be changed and nor should you want it to...it is who you are. Best of Luck to you. And on a side note no one can tell you who uses Sophomore quota because it is never the same.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you. I will let you know how recruitment ends for me.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to Arrowlady's daughter and Princesslove..please keep us posted on how things are going!

Re: sophomore quota..Prinicesslove, you should just go to every house with an open mind and try not to worry about the things you cannot change. There are all kinds of girls in every house, so be mindful of that and try to have fun! Like Pineapple said, sophomore quota changes from house to house and year to year, so there are no guarantees. I will say that last year many great sophomore were placed, so dont give up!