GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,080
2 members and 1,078 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

46 in college

I am 46 and presently enrolled in school. I am very excited about this chapter in my life. I always had a desire to join a frat if ever I returned to school, my question is seeking to join a frat at 46 okay.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen it happen. It's unlikely, though, considering you'll be around people that are literally half your age and who have less life experience.

ETA: I should add -- it also depends on the type of organization you're pursuing.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

If I were you, I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up.. depending on the organization, of course. Still...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I say go for it, but consider this. Do you really think you have anything in common wit ha bunch of 19-21 year olds? Also if you pledge, you would essentially become their student and have to learn what they want. And maybe you need to ask yourself exactly why you want to be part of the fraternity life.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, why on earth does a 46 year old want to hang around with a bunch of 18-22 year olds? And why would they want to hang around you?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know what, I started giving advice, but I think this is ridiculous.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

ETA: I should add -- it also depends on the type of organization you're pursuing.

Really, this.

And the school.

I know of one campus where if you're over 21 or took any time off before college, you can forget about pledging Alpha.

Across town, same city -- men in their forties definitely made it and are active in alumni chapters to this day.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the school and area, but in general, your chances are slim to none. Even at my university, in the Northeast and with a small Greek system, you most likely would not get a bid. You shouldn't get your hopes up about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a service Fraternity may fit what you are looking for nicely. I believe the social Fraternities are probably out of the question. I am 51 and really feel that other than in an alumni advisory position with my Fraternity I would be way too old.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM

If you're joining for "brotherhood" and all that stuff - great.

But maybe steer clear of sorority mixers, because glomming on to women who are way way younger than you is rather creepy and disturbing (unless you're Hugh Hefner, of course -- and even then, it's still pretty creepy).
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of a case where a guy joined a Latino fraternity at age 50. Unfortunately, he went inactive shortly after he was initiated.

My alma mater has a co-ed fraternity for non-traditional aged students. Maybe you can look into/start a chapter like that.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
If you're joining for "brotherhood" and all that stuff - great.

But maybe steer clear of sorority mixers, because glomming on to women who are way way younger than you is rather creepy and disturbing (unless you're Hugh Hefner, of course -- and even then, it's still pretty creepy).
...yeah.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
I would say go for it. Non-traditional age students definitely offer a unique perspective to the table. Obviously there will be some challenges regarding your priorities in this stage of your life as well as the socialization aspect.

It definitely can be a challenge, but if you really want to join a Fraternity (not a frat) built on lifelong brotherhood, service, scholarship etc, age really shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure to prepare yourself if you're extended a bid that while you can provide knowledge based on years of experience, the chapter members can offer you a light perspective. Additionally, be sure to let the younger members to grow and make mistakes - its part of the growth process.

Hopes this helps!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Without knowing where, I'd go with my alma matter . . . you'll have slim to none chance of getting a bid from the top fraternities.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ_E_class View Post
I would say go for it. Non-traditional age students definitely offer a unique perspective to the table. Obviously there will be some challenges regarding your priorities in this stage of your life as well as the socialization aspect.

It definitely can be a challenge, but if you really want to join a Fraternity (not a frat) built on lifelong brotherhood, service, scholarship etc, age really shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure to prepare yourself if you're extended a bid that while you can provide knowledge based on years of experience, the chapter members can offer you a light perspective. Additionally, be sure to let the younger members to grow and make mistakes - its part of the growth process.

Hopes this helps!

do what you feel is comfortable to you. being part of a brotherhood can be a great asset. good luck.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!