GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,252
0 members and 1,252 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2004, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

GQ article on clemson kappa sigs

i'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but has anyone picked up the january 2004 issue of GQ? i got it because i absolutely love orlando bloom, but it has quite the hazing story about the clemson university kappa sigmas... does anyone know if the university or kappa sig nationals have taken any action against the chapter? its pretty intense....
xoxo
Old 01-09-2004, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

While I haven't seen this article yet, GQ did a similar article on one man's hazing experience while a pledge of ATO in the 1950s, 1960s, or so. I'm not sure of the chapter or year, but I remember the hazing details. The article made me cringe, and it wasn't fun seeing a symbol that looked much like our badge plastered all over it.

That article might have been in an issue early last fall. I find it interesting that GQ has done at least two articles on hazing in fraternities in such a short amount of time.

Jason
Old 01-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know... if it's an article about the 50's/60's it isn't nearly as bad a reflection as one that says we're doing it today. In the 50's and 60's, hazing was a cultural norm. Everyone did it. Now, with risk management and liability being huge issues, we have had to essentially rebuild our organizational cultures in many cases. My father had the crap hazed out of him in his fraternity. I'm sure he turned around and did the same to others. That was the way it was done then.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-09-2004, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree completely with you. The only thing that shocked me about the one from the 50s or 60s was that it include a lot of homosexual acts being done to the pledge, which went beyond what I'm used to hearing about. Like I said, it made me cringe.

Jason
Old 01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

i just checked the article and it says that the author, Brad Land, is 27 years old - so its a pretty recent account, because it happened during his junior year. its just really sad how they market it, with the cover blurb stating "frat boy abuse:a battered brother tells all" and the intro bold paragraph reading:

Brothers In Harm
How could a guy who was kidnapped from a fraternity party and brutally beaten end up pledging a hazing-crazed chapter of Kappa Sigma? In an exclusive excerpt from his forthcoming memoir, "Goat," Brad Land tells the story of one form of terror thats widely accepted"
Old 01-09-2004, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Eek! My brother was a Kappa Sig at Clemson. Is the article online?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I read the article and was terribly sad for the whole fraternity. One chapter's hazing (if the incidents truly happened) should not reflect poorly on a whole organization. The illustration accompanying the article even shows a drawing of the Kappa Sig coat of arms.

I just can't believe that this isn't considered libel, especially since the article is excerpted from a book.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to Clemson, and there have been news reporters all over trying to get students opinions. my sorority was told that if we were asked, to refer them to our president, who would then refer them to one of the IFC or Panhell advisor people.

It's a weird situation. But I don't think that people are really talking. Their president was interviewed, and he said something along the lines of, 'i wasn't in school then, but I can assure you we don't do anything like what was described'.

THat's all I know.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If the author is 27, this was more than two years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
They dealt with the untimely death of a brother two years ago with grace, handling the press and their own grief in a very classy manner.

ETA: Could anyone go to the trouble of posting the article? I can't find it online...
I don't think GC articles are available on line.

If the author is 27 (as posted above), this was more than two years ago.

The article says that one of the friends of the author (the author had depledged, even tho his brother was a member) feared the approaching hell week. Prior to hell week (or maybe after it), the friend was blackballed (voted out) and never initiated. The friend died the next day, probably a heart attack.

The article is confusing, merging some details of the author being kidnapped and robbed after he left a party (maybe a fraternity party, before he was a freshman) and his short life as an unhappy pledge.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually found the book on Amazon.com to buy. Here's a link to information about it:

Amazon Description
Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I can confirm that the death from two years ago was not hazing-related. It was, in fact, the result of one guy stepping in between two of his friends, who were fighting over a girl. I knew the girl and all three guys. The guy who intervened was Axel Gillis, the (biological) brother of my friends in high school. He was stabbed, and bled to death en route to the hospital.