GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,138
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, KristyClif
» Online Users: 1,066
3 members and 1,063 guests
3DGator, Sister Havana, Xidelt

Old 06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy: would you care if...

I have a very interesting question, would you want your child or silbling to rush the same organzation that you are or were apart of?

One of my good friends rushed Alpha Chi Omega at Fullerton and her mom and her sister were Gamma Phi Beta, and they gave her hella drama for her choice. I think that is pretty messed up. i would not want my son or brother to join TKE because of me, I would want them to make the choice on their own, I would feel strange, but as long as they go Greek it doesn't matter. I know at our chapter we have two legacies that kind of don't get along with the chapter. One of the guys only got in based on his brother involvement with our chapter. Which leads to another question...

Would you allow someone in our organization based on their brother or father, even if you know for a fact they will not fit in your chapter?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Yes, I would be in Hopes of a Sibling joining My Greek Organization.

But, it may not happen.

One of My Alum Brothers Son Pledged and went active with a Fraternity across the Street from us. Are either held in disrespect for this, NO!

Son found something that He felt more comfortable with. Isnt that the most Important Part?

Not All Chapters are that good, and the Members are just so so. So Why be saddled with Joining just to say Hey, I am a Legacy.

The Important thing is joining a Greek Org.

Be with Who You want to be with, it is for a very long time!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep...

True - not all chapters are the same... We can all attest to that...

However, if I had a son that went to a school where the chapter was excellent with an good rep ... By all means, I would definitely want him to share the same thing...

Ultimately though - it's up the individual...

And yes, I can attest to what Drunkie said about our legacies... Because one is my pledge brother...
Old 06-11-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course I'd love my future daughters to be Alpha Chi Omegas. However, I want them to make their own decisions based on what is right for them. If they don't like the chapter at their school, I'd love for them to do what makes them happy, be it join another GLO or be a GDI.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I'd love for my future daughter to be a Sigma if she genuinely liked the chapter. It'd be silly for me to be mad if she joined somewhere else. I'd rather see her a happy XYZ than an unhappy Sigma.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

4 of my daughters have pledged so far, none at colleges with Pi Phi chapters. I want one out of the 9 to be a Pi Phi--please, God! I do want them to be happy. However, I don't know which would hurt more, to have them reject Pi Phi or for Pi Phi to reject them. And I don't want to know either.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I would love for my sisters to join my organization. However, I have told them to make a choice for themselve. Choose the place we they feel they fit, not to choose the organization that I am in.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 06-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

This may sound weird or utopian, but when I was an active, many Alpha Delta Pi mothers brought their daughters to visit with us - always at least a year before they were going to school. If the mother is active with the Alumnae Association, chances are that the daughter has seen & met many of the chapter beforehand anyhow - and had an idea of whether or not they'd fit in. I know that I was at the house where I was a legacy several times prior to starting school, and felt that I really fit in - until I rushed. I'm really glad that my parents weren't freaked that I went to a different house!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
some years ago, some friends I knew had three daughters. The oldest was a Kappa at SMU, and the second one went thru recruitment at a school in Alabama. The whole family was hoping that she would go to a certain sorority that mom and all the aunts were members of, but it was not meant to be. Actually, the girl was dropped by this group, and we happened to be at the house the day that Mom got the phone call. It wasn't a pretty sight. Regardless of that, she did find her home in another group, and was so happy to be with the girls. The youngest sister after seeing what happened with #2 told Mom she didn't want to rush , and as far as I know, she never joined.

I'm going to the first Greek in my family--and I would let my daugther make that decision. I would love for her to have the opportunity, but will let her make her own decisions.

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeBFiji
I would really like my younger brother to pledge FIJI, especially if he goes to Ball State. I say that mainly b/c the other chapters seem to get into more trouble with the university and have trouble staying above the minimum GPA requirement for more than 3 semesters at a time. But if he goes to Purdue and he just doesn't mix with the FIJIs there, then so be it. Although, the FIJIs I've met there were really welcoming when I just dropped by while visiting a friend. I also think it would be cool, because I could be there for his initiation.

To answer the second question. Our organization doesn't have any official policy when dealing with legacies. But we are encouraged by headquarters to at least make two contact attempts and have dinner with the legacy.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 PM

Of course I would love it if one or both of my daughters pledged Delta Zeta. To be there when they are initiated...how cool would that be for any parent???

But I can honestly say that no matter where they pledge I will be thrilled for them. I'll even be fine if they decide not to go greek, although I really hope that doesn't happen
Old 06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

It's been my experience that in general legacies make wonderful members. When they pledge they're already committed to the sorority and love it. Right off the bat they've got a general understanding of the organization, our history, how things work, and what their responsibilities as members are (time-wise, financially, etc.) The additional connection to mom, sis, grandma just adds another level to their committment.

The "problem" legacies are those that probably should have pledged elsewhere because they would have been happier, but allowed themselves to be swayed by mom, sis, or grandma. Thing is you're rarely ever able to identify these women until after they're a member. Fortunately, these situations aren't the norm.

Here are some questions for all of you. When a PNM comes through Recruitment and is a legacy at another GLO on campus, do you assume they'll pledge the other GLO? Or do you give them the benefit of the doubt that they will have an open mind about all houses? Does it make a difference if it was their parent, sibling or grandparent? Does it make a difference if it was on your campus or at another?

Last edited by Zillini; 06-12-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I have a different perspective because I am the only Greek in my family, but I wouldn't care which organization she joined (provided they weren't hazing and so forth, obviously).

My little sister is rushing this year at a school that has a chapter of my sorority, and from what I understand they are a fairly strong chapter, too. However, I want her to go where she feels most comfortable, and if that's not my sorority -- or any sorority at all -- than I'll be happy for her.

ETA: In our chapter, we never treated girls any differently because they were a legacy to another chapter on campus, but if they were a legacy to a very strong chapter, we sometimes privately assumed they would join that house, especially if they were an in-house legacy. The UW has a very strong tradition of in-house legacies joining the same houses as their sisters (and mothers, probably).

Last edited by sugar and spice; 06-12-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel it is a thing a pride to be apart of something that your family has been in, but you should always checkout other house. I know at our school, one house got another soroities triple legacy. I feel it should be about who you are cool with. And you will be shocked, but i know at Long Beach, there are many people that got forced into their house and hate it. And now they either had dropped or became really bad actives
Old 06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Banned

If I had a sister or any daughters, I would love it if they would go Greek. However, I would be happy with whatever organization they chose. Each sorority has beautiful things to offer, and I'd rather they found what made THEM happy, not what would make ME happy.

An example-- my mother was a professional iceskater. She had me on iceskates as soon as I could walk....hoping that I would follow in her footsteps. But it wasn't for me.

I ended up being a judo competitor! At first, she was horrified, but when she saw how much I loved it, and what judo did for me, she thought it was great! She even has a charm on her bracelet that says, "Judo Mom."