GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,252
2 members and 1,250 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Re: at my school..

Quote:
Originally posted by twinstars
I think it can be cut-throat among the top sororities, competing for certain rushees, because even though there are plenty of girls rushing, there is always that top 20% of the pool (or so) that any of the best houses would love to have. If you do succeed in getting those rushees, it's a big ego boost. It means your house beat out the competition (other very good houses). Guys talk about it.... "oh, did you hear theta (or whoever) got so-and-so? Her dad's the president of .... whatever"

It's so competitive because the top tier of sororities are all going after the same set of rushees. There aren't enough of those "cream of the crop" rushees to go around... someone's got to get them, and it might as well be your house.
twinstars, I'm just about 99.99999% positive we go to the same school. PM me!!

As far as "cream of the crop" rushees--I feel like there are only going to be so many gorgeous, popular, intelligent, articulant, partying, well-to-do, legacy, RIF'ed women going through rush on any campus. But just because someone's missing two, three, or four of those qualities doesn't mean they suck, IMHO. But, they're not going to go to the "top" groups.

And lastly let me say that at me and twinstars' school, yes, we ARE all up in everybody's business. Everyone is always like "Oh... you got her?? She dates this SAE.." or "Her dad is President of this" or "She was a 5-time legacy" or "She went to Westminster" etc.... hehe..... it's kinda sad, because I think in some ways the cut-throat nature of it here is multiplied, because we all know all the rushees, and where each and every one of them ends up, and oftentimes why.... small + greek + southern = INSANE
Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: at my school..

Quote:
Originally posted by UF56
I disagree with this. The problem with my school in particular which makes it cutthroat is that there are too many of the great girls rushing that only want to be in certain houses and are not willing to go to other houses. And these certain houses can only take so many girls. I mean during first round almost all of these certain houses have to cut their numbers in half that means going from 1300-1400 down to 650. And our campus is one that many a girls feel that its better not to be greek than to be in a house that isnt considered one of the best.
I have a feeling this is what makes it cutthroat from the girl's perspective. The other way around, where there are too few good girls, makes is easier for the girls themselves, since they are likely to get spots if they are nice women (even without a refrence *gasp*).

We have a problem of suiciding at my school. A lot of girls rush (MORE than enough to have quota put all sororities over total), and about half drop or don't get bids because they will only take their first choice.
-M
Old 04-15-2003, 06:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:
Originally posted by Angels&Arrows
I have an odd feeling that recruitment was handled a bit differently for Jenna Bush.. but I could be wrong. maybe Texas-Gal could tell us. I can not imagine her with her secret service in tow during recruitment. That would not be fair to her and quite a distraction for others.
Texas-Gal, not sure if you saw this... I am curious, as I am sure are many! Thought you might know how UT-Austin handled rush with Jenna!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas-Gal,
I was just wondering what the "pecking order" of the sororities at UT is. I'm pretty clueless, I would probably have not survived rush there...I figure Theta is at the top, along with prolly Chi-O and Kappa. Vandy is of course smaller, but the Greek system is so huge and I was wondering if every school is similar. Most of the newer houses are at the bottom. I'm always curious about the pecking order at other schools and if they're all as similar as I would guess, but I expect there are some surprises.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I'm no expert but I thought the top 3 at UT were Pi Phi, Kappa, and Theta (not sure on the order among those).

There are 3 more that are right behind, including Chi-O and 2 others.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
My dear sister Carnation wrote this a year ago on the LSU thread... Carnation, correct me if I am wrong since since some of this was in her book... I believe the information was posted in the Texas Monthly in the 80s? If so, things might have changed over the years... though I do not think the top three ever change at UT-Austin. Maybe Texas-Gal, if she feels comfortable can elaborate.

As for the Big 6 at UT--this was in the original Texas Monthly article and also what I've heard from scads of UT Greeks so I don't want any flames! They were listed in this order:

Pi Phi
Kappa
Theta
Chi O
Tri Delta
Zeta

A lot of it may have to do with the sororities' ages, since Pi Phi is the oldest group there.

Okay, here are some quotes from the Texas Monthly article--not from me!

Pi Beta Phi-A Pi Phi is usually at home wearing gold dinner rings at the age of 18, a gold bangle bracelet, a pair of simple gold hoops, and a sporty but chic stainless and gold Rolex. Pi Phis don't have to flaunt what they've got. When you've got everything-money, a good name, good looks, and status-what's the point?

Kappa Kappa Gamma-She too is from an old established family; she was probably a debutante from San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston; and the points she racks up in her sorority prepare her for the point system she'll labor under to make Junior League.

Kappa Alpha Theta-Being a Theta isn't like being a Pi Phi or Kappa and that's the problem: a Theta isn't a Pi Phi or Kappa. Still, it has its consolations. Thetas get to be a little more demonstrative, what you call kissy-huggy. Don't think a Theta can't stand up to a Pi Phi or Kappa; she did, after all, go to Camp Waldemar with the best of them and she traveled to Europe. She's still in the running!

Delta Delta Delta-When you look at Farrah Fawcett, you get a refined idea of what it's like to be a Tri Delt.The Tri Delta you find at a party with her perfect makeup, perfect hair, and perfect outfit invested approximately three hours' work in all that perfection.

Chi Omega-The ladies of Chi O are sweet and a little reserved, but they are closet dazzlers. The Chi O house shelters fewer true beauties than the Tri Delta house but neither is in the top 3 scholastically. The Chi Os can play just as rough as the next girl in the status game but a glimpse at the parking lot will show you that they're not the top contenders in this field either.

Zeta Tau Alpha- Zetas do try harder. Lack of effort is not why a Zeta isn't a Pi Phi. Let no one say that the Zetas don't have a look of their own. They do. Does this girl exude satisfaction with her position in life? Does she shun heavy makeup, secure in the knowledge that she has enough going for her that she can afford a perfectly natural look? Does this woman look like a Pi Phi? To her everlasting credit, she does not, and-bless her heart for trying-she never will.

Like I said--not my opinions! But the accompanying Prudence Mackintosh article is hilarious; I don't see a month or year on it but you could look up "Sisterhood is Powerful" and "That Certain Look" on the Texas Monthly website, I'll bet.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas is a great example of cutthroat. The list in the last post is correct as far as what people consider "top six" although you will never hear anyone in the UT PHC use those words in public.

You would think that all six of those groups would get quota at bid matching - right? Well, it used to be typical for one of those six to not make quote at bid matching, although it didn't take more than a 1/2 hour for them to snap bid to quota. The problem is that all six of these chapters are competing for the same women. I remember a few years ago when one of those groups missed quota by 13 while some of the, so-called, second tier groups made quota. It's because the PNMs end up getting "classified" unofficially based on family, neighborhood, high school, etc.

One thing that Texas did put in place a few years ago is "guaranteed placement," and "junior quota" has been in place for years. While these two things help to place the most PNM, it can have a negative impact on the smaller chapters. The big stay big, the medium sized get bigger and the small stay smaller (although smaller is still 100 members or more.) I can say that ALL of the UT NPC groups are quite selective and are very protective of their image. Despite smaller chapters "needing" women, there are many women at UTexas that will never be offered membership in a UT sorority.

As far as Jenna, to my knowledge she did not have secret service with her - at least I know that they did not enter the house when she was at our event.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

A girl from my hometown was a Zeta when Lynda Johnson was in the chapter and she said that the Zetas couldn't do anything without the Secret Service breathing down their necks. They even had a room in the house!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard that, too. I've heard that they had to build an addition to accommodate the Secret Service but that could just be a rumor.

I'm not sure what accommodations Theta had to make when Jenna actually joined.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

What about ritual? Can a chapter hold ritual and manage to keep the secret service away?
Old 04-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'd hope so..Lynda's agents were men.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does this woman look like a Pi Phi? To her everlasting credit, she does not, and-bless her heart for trying-she never will.
They had to go and use "bless her heart"....all you southern girls know what that means My family is very southern and you always hear "bless her heart" before an insult or "oh isnt that nice" when they dont like something.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Okay, here are some quotes from the Texas Monthly article--not from me!

(stuff from magazine edited for space)

Wow, that is all positively awful! Not directed at you, A&A, but damn, I would think that would cause an uproar!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

As I mentioned, at UT there is a definite pecking order among the Top 5 -

Pi Phi
Kappa
Theta

Tri Delt
Chi-O

I would say Zeta would come next, but ADPi is probably right there with them - enough so that they're practically at the same level now. The Top 3 (affectionately known as "PKT") are a significant notch above Tri Delt, who is slightly above Chi-O. I'd say in recent years Theta might have switched place with Kappa - but at that high level, it really makes no difference- they're all just "Top Three."

That pecking order is so firmly entrenched, and will remain that way - probably forever. There is no uproar because it's no secret.

Please know that none of this reflects my own personal opinions of all our houses, or their relative worth, only what is common and accepted knowledge in the UT Greek system.

Last edited by Texas-Gal; 04-16-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally not PC but

I think it is interesting to understand what makes a chapter super at one school and not worth pledging at another. In other words, is it consistant that top sorority ABC is like THIS (rich, skinny, gorgeous) and bottom sorority CDE is like THAT (poor, fat, ugly) (I am grossly generalizing) and this pretty much determines the pecking order no matter the school or the GLO.

Are the summations above from Texas Monthly true to form? Of course, I'd personally like to know how DG stands in that pecking order (or maybe not?).