GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,168
0 members and 2,168 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I've never heard of an extension campus being treated this way before-is Lambuth close enough to Memphis proper that the two could be considered one campus in two places?

More info: the Memphis IFC website says there's two chapters of Sigma Phi Epsilon, one on the Memphis campus and one on the Lambuth campus http://www.memphis.edu/fsa/ifc/sigma...silon-zeta.php
The campuses are about 1 1/2 from each other.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Anyone know if sororities have submitted any packets to UM- Lambuth? I just heard that NPC is treating Lambuth as part of University of Memphis, so groups with chapters at Memphis can't apply and if you go on at Lambuth, you can't later start a chapter at Memphis? I was wondering who would jump at that opportunity?
Does that mean all the former Lambuth NPC sororities with no chapter at Memphis--AOII and AXiD--will not be allowed to form/recolonize at Memphis?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Does that mean all the former Lambuth NPC sororities with no chapter at Memphis--AOII and AXiD--will not be allowed to form/recolonize at Memphis?
In fact Alpha Xi Delta has dormant chapters at both Memphis and Lambuth.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

That's very odd. Why is it not being treated like a satellite campus (like it is) like UNC, UNCC, UNCW, UNCA ??

I can't imagine that's an appealing situation for any national
Old 01-26-2016, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Per Sorority Extension on Twitter, Delta Zeta is presenting at the University of Arizona on February 3rd.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Per Sorority Extension on Twitter, Delta Zeta is presenting at the University of Arizona on February 3rd.
Who else is presenting at UofA?

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
Who else is presenting at UofA?
No one. That's it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-28-2016, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The campuses are about 1 1/2 from each other.
Wow....this seems unusual to me. I'm not familiar with UM; but, their main UM website clearly claims UM-Lambuth as a "campus". It appears to me that Lambuth campus is considered a part of UM proper, just an extended site. In that case, I can understand why NPC might consider having two chapters there an issue.

But the two campus locations are an hour and a half apart??? San Diego State University has a main campus in San Diego and a campus in Imperial Valley (Calexico, CA). The Imperial campus is considered to be attached to SDSU; yet, students cannot freely attend classes between locations. One must choose one location or the other on the application. The two SDSU campus locations are also 1.5 hours apart. The SDSU arrangement sounds very similar to UM and UM-Lambuth. The difference is, as far as I can tell, there is no Greek life at the SDSU IV Campus, whereas the UM-Labuth campus does have GLOs.

Yeah...that is interesting.

True and Constant
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Wow....this seems unusual to me. I'm not familiar with UM; but, their main UM website clearly claims UM-Lambuth as a "campus". It appears to me that Lambuth campus is considered a part of UM proper, just an extended site. In that case, I can understand why NPC might consider having two chapters there an issue.

But the two campus locations are an hour and a half apart??? San Diego State University has a main campus in San Diego and a campus in Imperial Valley (Calexico, CA). The Imperial campus is considered to be attached to SDSU; yet, students cannot freely attend classes between locations. One must choose one location or the other on the application. The two SDSU campus locations are also 1.5 hours apart. The SDSU arrangement sounds very similar to UM and UM-Lambuth. The difference is, as far as I can tell, there is no Greek life at the SDSU IV Campus, whereas the UM-Labuth campus does have GLOs.

Yeah...that is interesting.
You raise an interesting point-it's not as though girls at UM-Lambuth are able to freely commute between campuses and can join a chapter at one while attending the other. Unless I'm reading the situation entirely wrong, they're separate schools and should-and in the case of fraternities do, as I posted above-have distinct chapters and two different Greek communities.

In other news, Murray State (KY) has announced that Delta Zeta will colonize in Fall 2016, presumable after formal recruitment. This is the second stack of their three-sorority stack of KD, DZ, and Phi Mu.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambuth College was, until just a few scant years ago, a totally separate private (I think) college. It may have had a religious affiliation. It's quite small. I believe the administration was getting ready to close the college and U of Memphis came in and took over.
Alumnae still consider it totally separate from U of Memphis.
I guess they are still working out the details.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Lambuth College was, until just a few scant years ago, a totally separate private (I think) college. It may have had a religious affiliation. It's quite small. I believe the administration was getting ready to close the college and U of Memphis came in and took over.
Alumnae still consider it totally separate from U of Memphis.
I guess they are still working out the details.

Ah...thank you! This is making more sense now!

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...end_operations

True and Constant
Old 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I beg to differ. No chapter is required to participate in upperclass quota. They do have to participate in freshman quota. Many chapters at many schools elect to not take any upperclassmen. I'm not going down the road of whether that's a good thing or bad - just that it is.
That may be more acceptable at some schools, but upperclassmen quota at UCLA is typically about half (or more) the size of freshman quota - that's a huge number to opt out of, and I think most organizations would not support these chapters in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yeah, I was going to say I didn't quite understand that concept either. Even if upperclass/freshman quota wasn't a factor, you might be asked why you re-rushed and the less explanations of that sort you have to make, the better.
What I'm trying to say is that at UCLA, I don't think there's much, if any, inherent penalty to dropping out of recruitment and re-rushing the next year. Every year there are a handful of women who pledge a chapter, drop, and successfully re-rush the next year, often into stronger recruiting chapters. It's a school where lots of PNMs sign up in the couple of days before recruitment starts - it's a very accepted explanation to say that you signed up on a whim, got overwhelmed and dropped out.

The point about sophomores being included in upperclassman quota is still a valid one: if the UC quota is designed to help junior transfers find a fit, then including sophomores is counterproductive. If anything, it now puts sophomores into a group where their status is not just not detrimental, it actually makes them preferred over the juniors in their group.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
That may be more acceptable at some schools, but upperclassmen quota at UCLA is typically about half (or more) the size of freshman quota - that's a huge number to opt out of, and I think most organizations would not support these chapters in doing so.

What I'm trying to say is that at UCLA, I don't think there's much, if any, inherent penalty to dropping out of recruitment and re-rushing the next year. Every year there are a handful of women who pledge a chapter, drop, and successfully re-rush the next year, often into stronger recruiting chapters. It's a school where lots of PNMs sign up in the couple of days before recruitment starts - it's a very accepted explanation to say that you signed up on a whim, got overwhelmed and dropped out.

The point about sophomores being included in upperclassman quota is still a valid one: if the UC quota is designed to help junior transfers find a fit, then including sophomores is counterproductive. If anything, it now puts sophomores into a group where their status is not just not detrimental, it actually makes them preferred over the juniors in their group.
I agree. You all should move to a freshman/sophomore quota and then a separate junior quota like they do at Davis. There are very few women who are willing to go through recruitment three times to get into a stronger recruiting chapter and they really aren't looked favorably upon!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I believe the administration was getting ready to close the college and U of Memphis came in and took over.
Lambuth closed in the summer of 2011 and UM acquired the campus immediately afterward.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta pledged 87 new members at it's newest colony Theta Xi at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington on January 24. When installed it will become the 163rd active chapter of Kappa Delta.