GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,347
0 members and 1,347 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2001, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Question justamom--how's lsu??

Justamom--

Now that they've had some time to reflect, do you have any clue how the pledged and unpledged girls from LSU view the Greek system, rush, etc., there?
Old 09-26-2001, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Boy, there's a lot to say on this. I'll break it down.
The girls who dropped- Two of the girls have all but disappeared. For the others, there is regret. They see how active Greek life is at LSU and how many activities there are and have resentment to those who completed the process. On one hand, they say things that have already been posted referring to stereotypes. However, they go to Greek Night at the local club and then criticize those who have expanded their circle of friends.

The girls who were cut-Only one has gone out and expanded beyond her original friends and touches base with everyone. The others, all of the above, but add varying degrees of bitterness.
A few in particular have taken up a crusade against any association that "allows/promotes" drinking, even if those indulging are of legal age. It has become a moral issue. They reamed my daughter at lunch one day and she said, "When you see your sister in a situation where she might make a fool out of herself, you don't leave her or preach to her, you take her to the bathroom and hold her hair back...that's what sisters do." Of course that's just one line she said that stuck in my mind. My daughter never was a drinker, perhaps she has changed, but I doubt to a degree that would cause me too much concern for now.( As a side note, two of these girls have joined a religious based group)

The girls who pledged-They are all very happy. (2 still wish they were in a different soro but are glad that at least they ARE in one)
If I may add, the beauty of DG to her is the fact that her choices of friends aren't limited to just DG. Her circle includes DG of course, KKG, KAT, ZTA, Pi Phi and KD. She has distanced herself from the ones who "told her off". Some of the others from her HS don't interact beyond their own sorority. In their defense, the activities may be overwhelming and therefore limit their time.

All in all, those who expected, OR WERE TOLD they should be
XYZ took it the hardest and carry the most resentment.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Oooh. I kind of expected that. So many alums cheerfully tell PNMs that they're born XYZs, that there shouldn't be any problems in making it, etc. I've been around too long to think that anything in this world is a done deal until it happens.

And yet I don't know how to get the word out about this to alums. Most don't belong to alum clubs or Panhels so that the only way to get the word out that girls should keep their options open is to tell the rushees themselves before rush and hope they haven't been so heavily indoctrinated that they'll listen.

I was afraid this would happen when you said there were a lot of big-city, legacy PNMs...I hope they find a constructive way to ease their hurt until maybe they can have another shot at rush if they so desire.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming from the perspective of having been cut and/or dropped, I can see right through these girls resentment and bitterness. Its jealousy. Greek life at LSU is such that it makes the social scene like one big high school again. And the Greeks are the "haves" and the non-greeks are the "have nots" And unfortunately, a lot of the stereotypes are very true here. '

Granted, I have greek friends that are wonderful girls, I work with a DG and she's awesome (she even lives in the new subdivision I just moved to ) but a lot of them...well, lets just leave it at they're questionable.

I just hope your daughter doesn't distance herself too much from the girls that dropped. It will only reinforce their resentment and bitterness to have the "cool girls" i.e., the sorority women reject them.

Overall, how is your daughter feeling with the Greek system?
Old 09-26-2001, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

She's doing great. Just as another example, she went with the independent girls to Greek Night and THEY LEFT HER! Out of the blue, no word, nothing. That was the last straw. They have ridiculed her at lunch, walking on campus and in front of some guys they all met. She has met lots of new people through her classes and some other activities that are independent. They don't seem to have a problem. She hasn't changed, but the way her friends treat her has. Isn't it all too sad...
Old 09-28-2001, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up bravo for your daughter

judging from her reaction to all this, you have raised her well. she'll be successful in whatever she tries.
cheers
mmcat
Old 09-28-2001, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

OKay, I am a little confused. Is your daughter being reamed out and left by her new DG sisters?? Or are these her friends from HS that didn't get bids. I hope its not her sisters, because that doesn't sound very sisterly to me.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

No, not her sisters, her friends from HS. It isn't solely directed at her either. Two of the other girls who pledged are getting the same treatment. I'm hoping that it will settle down once the other girls get involved and spread their wings as well. The key is involvement.

mmcat-Oh, how nice of you to say that. I hope you're right.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Whew--I feel so much better! I am sorry your daughter is having problems with friends, but I agree with MMCat--she sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and can get through this rough time. Thanks for always letting us hear whats going on--you make me miss my mom!!
Lesley
Old 09-28-2001, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

What a sweet thing to say. I miss having my girl around and GC helps. It's nice to hear what is going on with everyone and watching all these young lives unfold...like a story waiting to be told. oops a rhyme!
Old 09-28-2001, 01:16 PM

Wink

Hey justamom,
The same thing that happened with your daughter happened to me. I was a soph. when I rushed but I was still friends with many of the girls I went to hs with. when I rushed some were very rude about it and unsupportive. But all of my new friends from college even the indept. were so supportive. I guess it can help you learn who your real friends are. Tell her good luck and her new friends are the ones that will to continue to be there for her!
Old 09-28-2001, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the reason I am enjoying the boards so much also is for the same reason. I am older and have a daugher in a sorority. It is really fun to hear the rush stories, and to see while some things have changed, many have remained the same. Particularly the excitement. I guess I am saying I am glad the system is still growing strong. I still get together yearly with 5 other DG sisters, and we sure do have a great time.
Old 09-29-2001, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

DGmom-I thought I mentioned this somewhere, but one of my roommates was a DG. That girl could PARTY! Everyone would go to "Cougar Corner" and she would roll in like 3-4 am, scribble down a lesson plan and go to class. She was my favorite "wild child". Now, she's a PRINCIPAL in Tx!!! Nobody can put ANYTHING over on her!
Old 09-29-2001, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

h2oot

EVERYTHING you posted is what she has conveyed to me, everything!
Old 10-23-2001, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

How many GLOs are at LSU? Why don't more colonize? Just curious because I see a need for more opportunities to join.