GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,314
0 members and 2,314 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2001, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Angry E-Bay

I am getting a little angry with all of the badges and private greek things up for sale on E-Bay. I just read Phi Sigma Sigma's policy about selling badges... which includes E-Bay because that IS selling... and since the badges are property of the sorority, we are not allowed to sell them at all. (I could go into it but I'd rather not) Im sure alot of your orgs. have a similar policy...

What do you think about the selling of things on E-Bay? How sure can you be that the person is REALLY a XYZ? Have any of you contacted your national level on things you've seen for sale?

<3 Ali

------------------
Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma
Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-01-2001, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

i dont mind things like those engraveings or clothes, but it kinda pisses me off to see badges from my fraternity on sale, espcialy ones from my chapter, cause i had to earn that badge, but some total strangers is just buying it.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:40 AM

I think there's already been a thread on this...but yeah I agree that it's unfair that the badges come into the hands of non members while we had to work and earn them.

A lot of Greeks try to rescue the badges by bidding on them to keep them in the same org, but unfortunately the prices reach insanely sky high. Even if I wanna rescue one so bad I just don't have the money like those crazy collectors who just do not seem to know what to do w/ all their money (i once contemplated emailing one and saying that if they make a donation to our philanthropy instead, that would be better.)

however,there are orgs that reimburse the member for the money they spent on rescuing badges.i think that's a great idea.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I usually assume that a member of the organization has died, and someone gets hold of their belongings. I can't see a member selling something that they worked so hard for. No matter the price that they get for selling it, the money can't be worth the memories.

I think the idea about the organization reimbursing a member who rescues a badge is great. I wonder how many org's actually do this.
Old 07-01-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the feeling!
I just bought a badge fro a chapter that is no longer active! I plan to donate it to my chapter. My Badge will also be donated! They are made any more so I know it is worth something, but I know what it means to me!

I have bid on other Badges to keep them in our hands and have met other Brothers doing the samething! If I am bidding against a Brother I drop out! It must be the same for them as I was the only one who bid on this badge! I really got a good deal as priced it from my International pricing. I do not for sure about Greek Orgs. owning the Badges as in most cases, they are paid for by the individual.
I know mine will be in my will as to where it is to go!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-01-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Im pretty sure we can be buried with our Phi Sig badge, and I want to do that, or give it to my daughter/granddaughter if they decide to go Phi Sig! (yea legacy!)I think I read somewhere that Gamma Phi Beta Nationals can give special permission to someone who wants to wear their deceased relatives badge and are not a sister... is that true?

Also, I think that the national orgs should look over e-bay and then bid on the badges... or somehow E-Bay should get smart and run by a greek, and not let people put them up! I know if I ever put any sorority item up (NOT my badge or anything) I would travel to make sure that the person is a Phi Sig!

<3 Ali

------------------
Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma
Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron
Old 07-02-2001, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'm not usually a "GO SEARCH" kind of person, but trust me, this thread has been done, and you can find out EVERYONE'S feelings
Old 07-02-2001, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp:
I do not for sure about Greek Orgs. owning the Badges as in most cases, they are paid for by the individual.
I know mine will be in my will as to where it is to go!

Tom-
I don't know how it is for Lambda Chi Alpha (my Dad's LXA badge is safe in a box on his dresser-it fascinated me as a child and I looked at it all the time!), but in Sigma Sigma Sigma, the National Treasurer is the official custodian of all badges. If a member deactivates (basically drops out of the sorority), her badge MUST be returned to the Nat. Treasury. Then they can be redistributed to active members in good standing who have lost their badges for some reason (an example: one of my sister's houses burned last summer and the pearls on her badge were damaged, so I think she got a badge this way while hers was being rejeweled). The process for a member who dies: her badge is buried with her or sent back to her chapter or the Nat. Treasury. Also a possibility for a legacy to wear the badge of a relative.

I agree that it is a shame that some people do not respect their badges enough to keep them where they belong.

------------------
"...when satan came from down below, he said with starry eyes, "There's only one thing wrong with hell-there are no Sigma Tri's!"
Beta Xi 1144
Southeast Missouri State