GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
3 members and 1,398 guests
AlwaysSAI, chironthearcher

Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Big Bro Lil Bro Script

Hey im the High Kappa at Louisiana-Lafayette, and I was wondering if anyone had a big bro ceremony script. id apprech if u could sent it to me or email it to rpp9053@louisiana.edu thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it's not so much a script as it is a recipe for fun.

1. One (1) Industrial size container of lube.

2. One (1) sheep.

I'M KIDDING! My advice would be to have your chapter create one themselves. Don't just use somebody elses, make it special and significant to your own chapter. Sure, it may take some time, but it would be great to start your own tradition. It doesn't have to be complicated, just special.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Big Brothers were special to each of the New AMs as they were your guides.

As GammaZeta so said, tailor it to your Zeta and make them feel like the work you did for them was worth it and what they did for you in return!!

But also have a little fun!

Did not know goats were still in use!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I am some what new to many of the different Zeta things, maybe I miss understood the question?

Please claify for me if you will!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
A script? Hmm

Sounds as if you're looking for a script that could be read at a Big Brother revealing or a similar event. I don't have one and I don't know if the Kappa book or the Phi manual contains such a script.

However, that does not mean that you cannot draft your own. Please drop me a note and share some ideas or catch me on-line at ElderLawOC on AIM. Perhaps between the two of us we can put pen to paper (or I guess that would be fingers to keyboard nowadays) and come up with a suitable script suitable sanctimony for the event.

Seriously, I'd like to help you write it. This is a marvelous journey that we have embarked on but the good ship Lambda Chi isn't a kayak that you paddle alone, rather it's a canoe that takes two to make it work.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a section in the High Kappa Manual setting the guidelines for a Big Brother Ceremony (Section 2-9 of the 1992 edition). A brief outline of a proposed Ceremony is included, but it is largely left up to the Chapter.

In ZAX,
Lynn Chipperfield
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaflaneur View Post
There is a section in the High Kappa Manual setting the guidelines for a Big Brother Ceremony (Section 2-9 of the 1992 edition). A brief outline of a proposed Ceremony is included, but it is largely left up to the Chapter.

In ZAX,
Lynn Chipperfield
I was unsure if it was in the Kappa book or not; I suspect that I would have run across it if / when I spoke with this young man about drafting something for his Zeta. I've seen various scripts over the years but now that I'm 50+ I just could not remember where!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This may be out of place, but as many know My situation was a bit differnt than many!

In reading these Posts, I cannot wonder what our Founders did or think about when they wrote them.

I had the privilage of seeing My first NAM Induction and was thrilled.

I was also asked to be The first Candidate for Alumni Initation in my Zeta History.

It was a stirring moment for Me. We have as LXA have parts of our observances that were laid out years ago by far thing Brothers.

While each one may want to taylor it to their Zeta, the thing is, it has been done and witten before any of us were even thought about!

It basically comes down to Respect!!!

We Respect Our Fraternity- LXA.
We Respect a Brother.
We Respect our NEW PNMs.

They are the Future of LXA and each of our Zetas.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Post The Bridge Builder

Since this is not an esoteric (closed, secret) ritual, I think it's appropriate to share in this venue. It's an idea I've seen used a few different places, and I think it's a great symbolic tribute to a new big/lil bro relationship. I personally prefer this to be done shortly after the Associate Member Ceremony, perhaps even the night of. I don't have an exact script, but it's not really that hard to figure out. The gist of it is...

The High Kappa (or maybe grand-big brother or other prominent member) stands with the little brother either in silence or in congratulations for his recent AM Ceremony acceptance. The High Kappa reads (or recites from memory) the following poem to him in a normal and accepting tone (not to scare him or weird him out...just to make sure he feels comfortable and ready to - knowingly or unknowingly - meet his new big brother). The poem is perfect for this occasion:

An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening, cold and gray,
To chasm, vast and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The sullen stream had no fears for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You never again must pass this way;
You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide --
Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head:
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pit-fall be,
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building the bridge for him."

(This is "The Bridge Builder" by Miss Will Allen Dromgoole.)

Upon completion of the reading, the Kappa leads the member over a bridge (which can be on campus or found somewhere around the community - get permission, because you don't want trouble in the middle of this ceremony). As the member gets toward the end of the bridge, he sees the whole chapter standing at the bottom in a semicircle. Once he steps off the bridge and stops in front of everyone, his big brother steps out of the crowd, announces that he'll be the big brother, and hugs him or shakes his hand. All the brothers clap and cheer. Then, bring in the next new Associate Member to repeat the process until all the Little Brothers have gone. Afterwards, go back to the house to have a ZAX session over the AM Ceremony and talk about its significance, the Oaths he made, and excite him about his acceptance into Associate Membership and his new Big/Lil Brother relationship.

This is the basic "script" I've seen done, but you're supposed to make it yours. In no way am I saying that all chapters are supposed to have the same Big Bro Revealing Ceremony; rather, this is just an idea. I've heard that the fraternity will also provide some ideas this summer when it releases its "True Brother" Initiative. I'm excited...

Take it and run with it. Whatever you end up doing...just make sure it's an appropriate and brotherly ceremony that doesn't (1) intentionally make them uncomfortable or (2) foreshadow the initiation ritual. Maybe ask local chapters or alumni what they've done. Good Luck!

Yours in Z A X ,

Christopher L. Hall
Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I rather like this

Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiLambda1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1082 View Post
I rather like this
I REALLY like this...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
We use it at my chapter, had the pleasure of telling the story last semester.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother Hall, that is an awesome reading and I will pass this along to my Zeta.

Thank you very much.

In ZAX,

LX Z # 1
Alumni