GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,417
0 members and 1,417 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
My campus was that way too. It does really mess with chapter size though and makes total irrelevant, to an extent.
I'm a bit confused - how would that make total irrelevant? Because of a higher turnover rate (three years instead of four)? Usually I can figure out what people mean, but my brain is muddled today.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM

I know where I went the chapter sizes were all over the place. It had nothing to do - well, little to do, with chapter strength. Graduation rates are no problem if you consistently take the same mix, but if in year 1 you take 20 sophomores and 25 freshmen, and then in year 2 you take 10 sophomores and 35 freshmen and then year 3 you take 5 juniors, 15 sophomores, and 25 freshmen, etc etc

You took 45 each year, but your loss to graduation is all over the place. So, total is relatively meaningless. You can be way over total just because you didn't lose a lot to graduation, or way under total because you lost a ton. It just gets messy. Total is no longer an indication of how your past recruitments have gone or your initiation rate or membership retention.

I know at my school, all of the strong chapters had between 150-200 members, and the chapter with 150 wasn't necessarily a weaker chapter than the one with 200, or vice versa. So, if total was 165 and you had 150, it didn't necessarily mean you were a struggling chapter. That's what I meant.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Gotchya - that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know where I went the chapter sizes were all over the place. It had nothing to do - well, little to do, with chapter strength. Graduation rates are no problem if you consistently take the same mix, but if in year 1 you take 20 sophomores and 25 freshmen, and then in year 2 you take 10 sophomores and 35 freshmen and then year 3 you take 5 juniors, 15 sophomores, and 25 freshmen, etc etc

You took 45 each year, but your loss to graduation is all over the place. So, total is relatively meaningless. You can be way over total just because you didn't lose a lot to graduation, or way under total because you lost a ton. It just gets messy. Total is no longer an indication of how your past recruitments have gone or your initiation rate or membership retention.

I know at my school, all of the strong chapters had between 150-200 members, and the chapter with 150 wasn't necessarily a weaker chapter than the one with 200, or vice versa. So, if total was 165 and you had 150, it didn't necessarily mean you were a struggling chapter. That's what I meant.
This makes complete sense, and I think I'd like a Greek system like that a lot.

But at a school where most groups regarded as "successful" are relatively the same size and there's little COB, it's a big risk to graduate too many at once.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This discussion is why I love a separate Upperclassmen Quota. It eliminates the possibility of PNM being discriminated against due to year in school. I'm not saying this happened here. I don't know UGA's campus culture well enough nor this particular PNM to speculate on anything.

Prior to Bama adopting the separate quota it was nearly impossible for sophomore to get a bid. She might as well not waste her time and registration fee. Considering I was a sophomore pledge from a campus where this was no big deal, it pained me to see so many fabulous women released simply because of their class standing. Nothing I said could change this mindset. I celebrated when Bama adopted an Upperclassmen quota.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 PM

I should point out that the chapter houses at my school tended to sleep fewer members (mine slept 66) so having upperclassmen didn't prevent you from filling your house, which is a huge consideration on other campuses.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Class year is also looked at as $$ contribution. Let's say your dues are $1000/year.

If you pledge a freshman, that person is bringing $4000 to the sorority before you have to "replace" them, while the sophomore is contributing $3000.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Paging OTW's signature link!
Late to the party as I've been away all day...but I'm heeeeere!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Late to the party as I've been away all day...but I'm heeeeere!
I propose that whenever a HM posts about DD, we need the OTW sig to pop-up. Kind of like, "Gotcha".
Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I should point out that the chapter houses at my school tended to sleep fewer members (mine slept 66) so having upperclassmen didn't prevent you from filling your house, which is a huge consideration on other campuses.
Do upperclassmen not live in the houses?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

First, as a UGA grad I like the way Alabama does it giving a separate quota to upperclassman so the sororites will pledge. I think having older girls in a pledge class can help the younger ones. Once again I think each sorority on campus has there own way of deciding who can live in the house. In my sorority the 2008 pledge class will have priority to live in the house no matter their year. Some sororites require their officers to live in the house others don't. When you have a pledge class in excess of 60 there will be some in that pledge class that will never be able to live in the house which I think is sad because of lack of space. Usually these are the girls that are least active and need to live in the house.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Do upperclassmen not live in the houses?
They're the only ones who live in, but when you can only sleep 66 and you have 150-200, you need to have a lot live out as well.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Our house only slept in the thirties! I CANNOT IMAGINE sleeping in a house with 65 other girls...30-something was enough to drive me crazy at times!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Membership selection is confidential and no one can answer your question accurately.

Ideas:
- She did not maximize her options
- She did something her freshman year that earned her a bad reputation
- HS accolades mean very little for a sophomore
- She's up against hundreds of other "perfect" girls and just wasn't memorable.
1 - Maybe, but she did have 12 solidly on her "very
interested in" list going in. She was cut by all but one after second round.

2 - Always possible but highly doubtful.

3 - Agree, but the hit parade continues in college (3.9 is college gpa, HS was 4.3, leadership positions in several organizations, etc). "I love Athens!" was all I heard everytime I talked to her.

4 - Glad you put quotes around perfect. I think this would be more believable had she not been cut so severely so early. A 10 minute visit only confirms your predisposition.

I appreciate the attempts at answering what I guess was my true question, the one about sophomores. Some of them have validity but I do think that they are short-sighted when compared to what is missed by so easily dismissing this (or these) girls. No easy solution here but I am troubled by it. Never seemed to be a problem "back in the day".

I understand that there will never be any true answer to what happened. We had talked about what could happen before she went, I just never thought this really would. "Trust the process, you'll end up where you belong" was the mantra repeated over and over. I now feel like the general telling a mom that the battle went as planned and we won, So sorry your son got killed. Luckily, this young lady will be fine. Hurt but she will recover. I doubt, however, I can ever be as enthusiastic about trusting the process again. This was a train wreck.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I still think that something else had to have been going on. I know a lot of sophomores who rushed at a lot of SEC schools and they sometimes got shut out of the best houses (which I think otherwise they could have gotten in at), but they all got bids somewhere.