GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,420
1 members and 1,419 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I Work(ed) in Retail, and Now I Understand...

Just because

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM

I never leave clothes I try on and dont like in the dressing rooms. It annoyed me to no end when I worked at Express and would have to put back armloads of clothes.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

After once working retail, I understand that...

...paying full price is for suckers
...never work in a place where you are required to wear their clothes
...people are, for the most part, pigs
...that retail is unforgiving on the body, and if you don't get commission, unforgiving on your wallet
...will make you feel jaded and unappreciated
...half your fellow employees are stealing and don't care that you know
...unless you love the customers, the brand, the product or the vibe, the job will break you down.

At my store/company, I was top salesperson in the NATION (100+ stores) for a 6-month period (contest based on sales, units, customer service and hours worked), and I got a crappy neon green plastic watch that broke and a raise from $4.25 to 4.55. They always kept me under the 35 hour line so that they didn't have to pay benefits (insurance, vacation, sick time, etc.) and scheduled shifts less than 8 hours so they didn't have to give us a lunch break.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked at Blockbuster as an undergrad.

- I always have my items ready whenever I get to the register. I can't tell you how many people would be digging through their purses/pockets/wallets looking for cards/cash/coupons when the line is wrapped around the store. Take care of this while you're waiting in line!

- If a store is sold out of something, I go to another store. I don't bitch and complain because it's not that person's fault.

- I know we're in a cell phone society, but the world will not end if you put your phone down for 2 minutes while you check out.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

- I know we're in a cell phone society, but the world will not end if you put your phone down for 2 minutes while you check out.
I don't see the problem. Is it dehumanizing or something?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
...paying full price is for suckers
Yep. I know so many ways to steal from BBV, it's ridiculous. Of course, there's no need to do that, since I still get employee discounts, thanks to my friends.

Quote:
...people are, for the most part, pigs
YES. I can't believe how nasty adults can be, and how they can tolerate their kids being nasty asses too. There were several occasions that I'd be cleaning up for the night and find random items left around the store.

"good" end: old coke cans, tissues

horrible end: spit cup for someone chewing tobacco, pieces of shit on the floor, in the drop box, and stuck between movies (not even joking)

Quote:
...half your fellow employees are stealing and don't care that you know
Yep. All the time.

Quote:
At my store/company, I was top salesperson in the NATION (100+ stores) for a 6-month period (contest based on sales, units, customer service and hours worked), and I got a crappy neon green plastic watch that broke and a raise from $4.25 to 4.55. They always kept me under the 35 hour line so that they didn't have to pay benefits (insurance, vacation, sick time, etc.) and scheduled shifts less than 8 hours so they didn't have to give us a lunch break.
Same thing happened to me. I look back and wonder how I was able to survive on ~$6-7 and hour.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't get mad at the cashier for trying to sell the stupid rewards card or other ridiculous incentive thing you don't want - they HAVE to do it or they'll lose their job. At least, when I worked retail, if I didn't say that pitch every time, I would get in trouble, and if my numbers on selling those things wasn't high enough in a shift, I would get in trouble, and we were on a three strikes policy
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I never grab the display for a gift because so many husbands / boyfriends do that the week before Christmas, and I had to rebuild so many displays every night.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't see the problem. Is it dehumanizing or something?
It's rude.

At BBV specifically, we had to scan the card and go over anything that's happening on the account. If I'm trying to tell you "you have a movie that's due on Thurday" and you're hushing me, that's a problem.

Also, if you're engaged in your conversation, there's a higher chance that 1) you're going to be slower and 2) there's going to be a mistake made/the perception of a mistake [ex. "OMG I GAVE YOU A $20! WHERE'S THE REST OF MY CHANGE?!" when the person handed over a $10].

Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
horrible end: spit cup for someone chewing tobacco, pieces of shit on the floor, in the drop box, and stuck between movies (not even joking)
We had kids take a crap right on the carpet and the moms just laugh. (We went out and bought a special vacuum cleaner just for these type of incidents.) Nasty.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't see the problem.
Me neither!

After working retail, I understand........to fold the clothes and put them back where I found them.

I used to HAAAAAATE it when I just folded up the clothes and some lady takes a shirt from t he middle of the pile, ruins my stack and then just throws the shirt she grabbed on top of the pile. I used to wish that I could grab those people and make them fix that pile that I just did.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

From working in retail, I have become painfully aware that more people than I ever imagined are rude, inconsiderate, and feel as if they are entitled to something, just because they are the customer.

I've also learned just how cheap people can be. Today I had a lady ask me if she could have a discount on a dress because it was missing the belt (that she didn't want), on top of her 40% off she was getting. Seriously?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Never underestimate how cheap people can be.

I worked seasonal retail at Macy's one year (PURE HELL). I cannot count how many people would come to the register with a huge pile of whatever, whip out a stack of coupons, and then have me ring up a dozen individual purchases just so they could use all their coupons. UGH. So annoying for me, and the 20 people behind them in line who would then take out their frustration ON me.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked at Rich's/Macy's on 9/11. I would've thought people could have showed some compassion that day. Nope. They still trashed the dressing rooms, argued with me about prices, etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa_dancer View Post
From working in retail, I have become painfully aware that more people than I ever imagined are rude, inconsiderate, and feel as if they are entitled to something, just because they are the customer.
The customer is always right