GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,400
0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gwen1982 Send a message via Yahoo to gwen1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I kind of look at this differently. From what I understand, NPHC groups have undergraduate and graduate chapters where the meeting structure is pretty much the same for both categories - and as we all know, they have a LOT more active alumnae than NPC groups do. Maybe the key to making NPC alumnae appreciate their membership more is by asking more from them. I feel like sometimes we make it TOO easy for alum chapters to start/maintain themselves.

If all they are willing to do is send in a report once a year, maybe it's time to create a different kind of alumnae chapter, an "Insert Your Jewel Here Circle" or something.
I'm not saying that structure isn't important. Perhaps the different classifications would be helpful. A group of alums that meets twice a year is different than the alum group that may only meet 3 times a year but has a couple of events a month. Does the proximity of a chapter make a difference in the activeness level of an alumnae group? What if the chapter closes? Will the group support a new chapter?

This is what I view as one of the most difficult areas to deal with by far. Alumnae range from 20 something to those thinking of what they'll be doing to their 90th birthday party. Having achievement standards for alumnae groups is great, but not all groups will want to be the same. And a group may not be the same from year to year. I really think there is no easy solution to alumnae development, nor is there any one way to do it.

I do think that keeping alumnae engaged in some way, shape, or form is the ultimate goal for all of us. I've been on a panel of a non-Greek fraternal organization to discuss retention and member interest levels. Their active members range in age from 19 to 105 (bless him!). Their issues are similar and the goals seem to be what ours are - engage members, educate members, be member-only friendly yet family friendly, offer member recognition, and especially contribute to the overall health of the organization both locally and nationally. It's a struggle to reach the goals, though not for lack of trying.

**You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies. - Dr. Who**
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for so much great feedback! I know many of us are doing some of the things that have been mentioned & look forward to exploring ways to implement some of the other ideas.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very active in my 4th Alumnae Chapter. We range in age from just graduated college to "one hundred and dead." We meet monthly (except during the summer). We hold a short (no more than 30 minute) business meeting and then have some kind of program. We have been very successful in planning events which are fun for all ages. We have 40 paid members and usually have about 20-25 members attend our meetings. Those meeting which have a meal-- first/last meeting of the year, any other time we decide, we tend to get over 30 ladies to attend and usually at least 1-2 bring a prospective new member.

1) We make sure we ALL welcome any new member who comes through the door. We then make sure we introduce her to the current members. Most of us try to pair the new member with someone about the same age and with a bit of luck possibly from the same chapter.

2) We make sure our membership chairperson calls the new member within a few days to let her know how happy we are she attended. Let her ask questions and hopefully get her to join.

3) We get them involved as soon as they join. Ask them to help on a committee, ask them to be on the board when the next nominating committee begins to work on a slate of officers. We want the new members on the board so we have new ideas.

4) National will give us a database of all members living within specified zip codes. We know these are pretty accurate as they give us lists of those who have given them their current e-mail addresses. Usually when we have current e-mails, we also have current mailing addresses. We invite them to a membership activity. They are usually at someone's home. This year we had 4 new members join during a wine tasting event. The chairs of the event went to Trader Joe's bought 3 white, 3 red wines. Bagged them and then had us guess the kind of wine, the region it was from and the country. Most of us couldn't begin to guess, but we sure had fun making things up.

5) Our group is getting younger and younger as our new members are now dragging their friends to meetings.

DaffyKD
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
"one hundred and dead."
This made me LOL. I am assuming it is that particular member who described herself in that way and am also assuming that she is a blast to be around.