GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,543
1 members and 1,542 guests
navane

Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta, Beta Theta Pi, & Alpha Phi Housing Concerns: Dartmouth

In the last few days the student paper at Dartmouth has published an article and an opinion piece about Greek housing. The specific issue seems to be the house currently occupied by Alpha Xi Delta; it’s owned by a Beta Theta Pi alum group, and Beta is going to take back the house as it strives to return to campus and be recognized.

Alpha Xi Delta will apparently have to move to much smaller quarters. It also looks like a place to house Alpha Phi has been found.

It sounds like there’s some -- maybe a lot of -- unhappiness over all this. The new locations for the sororities are supposedly (according to the paper) pretty much off the beaten track, and that, along with their smaller square footage, might be a disadvantage:

Article
http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/11/news/beta/
Opinion piece:
http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/15/opinion/beta/

Added: An update on the situation and Beta's history at the college was recently published:

http://thedartmouth.com/2008/05/28/news/beta/

Last edited by exlurker; 05-29-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a pretty fiery opinion piece. A lot of the animosity seems to be based on the social situation at Dartmouth, not just the Beta-AZD situation. I mean, was the old AZD house really "A space where (women) can control the pong lines, alcohol distribution, music and guests"?

I doubt very much that there were "pong lines" at that house, and moving to a different/smaller location wouldn't change that at all. I'm sure it's a rough situation for AZD, but this sort of thing happens when you rent a house owned by another organization. It's hardly unique and shouldn't be unexpected.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I just read some of the letters to the editor and other articles.

http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/14/news/beta/
http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/15/opinion/fundraising/
http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/15/opinion/sons/
http://thedartmouth.com/2008/01/15/o...iscrimination/

Doesn't seem like a good situation, all around.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM

There's a thread about Dartmouth and the situation over in the Beta Theta Pi forum.

There are no bars in Hanover so for socializing, the fraternity and sorority houses are it. I find the overall attitude at Dartmouth quite refreshing - they don't agree with the concept of women having to use men's spaces to party in even if that's what the national HQs of the sororities say.

I can understand her view to a point, but the thing is, if you rent from another group, that is never YOUR house. If they wanted to make sure they never had to move, they should have purchased/rented a house on their own, not from another Greek group. What Beta did or didn't do in its previous incarnation has nothing to do with that. The guys who will recolonize Beta are not the ones who committed the offenses and I doubt very much that the men who did commit them will be involved w/ the recolonization in any way.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

With the situation at Darmouth it is a mess.

Yes, the BTPi Alumni have the right to tell AXD to vacate as they plan to retake the house. But if they cannot come back, then what will happen to the house? That is a whole other problem.

I do find it a bit rough to just inform them that they have to move by June and while it is the end of the school year, it is still hard to be stuffed into a much smaller house.

It is a very sad situation all the way around and I am sure there will be hard feelings that will come from this problem.

I guess time will tell.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
A house of over 100. Renting from Beta for 10 years. They should have started thinking ahead.

If you are renting a house from an organization, they don't owe you any time other then what your lease/rental form states. I'm sure they gave them the amount of time that was mentioned in the document they signed 10 years ago.

As for Beta, I think it's rediculous that the University is breaking a rule just to allow them back (no new locals). If they come back, they are a local until Beta national gives a charter back. Thus, they shouldn't be allowed back.

Rent the house or sell it should be their options.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, doesn't IFC have to vote on allowing a new fraternity to colonize on campus?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
I am pretty sure the IFC does have to vote, but Beta alums have only petitioned as of now, I think. As far as allowing 'no new locals,' they just gave permission to another fraternity who was "permanently banned" to start rush in 09. I think it is unfair that there are only 7 sororities to 15 fraternities. That definitely does not provide balance, especially if the sororities have caps on how much they can recruit. I also think it is unfair that those articles bring up beta's past conduct, when the past alumni will not be the new undergraduates, and believe when i tell you that Beta's AO will have a watchful eye and iron fist during pledging. Also, Beta has changed so much in the last 10 years sky rocketing its MoP initiative as well as becoming a fraternity pimp when it comes to leadership training. The Beta track kids who rush would be on today will be very different then over a decade ago. The thing is, if the campus is really upset about it, especially the sorority girls, then it will be hard to recruit.

(p.s. im a beta)

OH, and there are several bars in hanover, so i don't know what thats all about

Last edited by a.e.B.O.T.; 01-16-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If Beta has only petitioned, then why would AXiD be told to vacate the house?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 AM

From the articles on thedartmouth.com it seems like the Beta alums are threatening to start a housed local with no oversight from the school or a national to pursuade the school's approval. Since they own the house they could get away with that, which is why they'd need the house to be available.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

"Beta-Vision"

wow. just a rumor, I know!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
From the articles on thedartmouth.com it seems like the Beta alums are threatening to start a housed local with no oversight from the school or a national to pursuade the school's approval. Since they own the house they could get away with that, which is why they'd need the house to be available.

I too wondered about that? But, what would they gain from it?

It just seems like two heads butting against each other and envolved in a peeing contest.

Then AXD is caught in the middle. But as banditone said, they could have or should have planned for the future.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-16-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We have planned as much as we can in a town where suitable vacant/available real property is non-existent and we're not the only one looking. (Remember, Alpha Phi is still unhoused -- not for lack of interest in having a house -- and the College is also very active on the real property front.) This is a tough situation, but our women are driven and their sisterhood is strong, and we will make it through.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Rather then spend all that money to renovate a house that will house 7 women, how about they demo that house, use that money, as well as money from AZD to build?

All solved.... Yes, I rock.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.e.B.O.T. View Post
I think it is unfair that there are only 7 sororities to 15 fraternities. That definitely does not provide balance, especially if the sororities have caps on how much they can recruit.
Pepperdine is about* the only campus that has more sororities than fraternities. Generally the fraternities WAY outnumber the sororities (but are also ususally smaller).

*ABOUT: There could be a few more, but that's the only one I've ever seen mentioned.