GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,673
2 members and 1,671 guests
Tridentia

Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Earning a leadership role within my chapter

My chapter recently did officer slating. It was an extremely long process, since there were a lot of issues concerning a few of the executive board's members' ability to represent the chapter well, and electing suitable replacements. Since my chapter is only a few months old, and is still in the process of getting its official charter, there has been very few opportunities to step into leadership roles. In my honest opinion, most of the appointments we have had to our executive board and cabinet so far have been due to popularity/the loudest (but not necessarily strongest) voices in the room.

While I wouldn't say my chapter is my life, it has become a huge part of my life and has changed my life for the better. I try to be as involved as I can be, given the limited scope of opportunities available. I'd say I'm a pretty recognizable face within my chapter, and I go out of my way to make large contributions. I don't desire to be president, or even vice president, and I am not the best person to be in charge of money or philanthropy, but I do value sisterhood immensely and could easily step into any of those related roles.

I've never been the most popular person in the room. But I'm no where near as disliked as some of the members who jeopardize our risk management. I'll get votes, but never get a unanimous appointment from the chapter. Whether for the right or wrong reason, it always seems like there is someone better. All of my life I've always been second best. Since I can't physically nominate myself or campaign for a position, what can I do earn my way to one of the positions I desire?

I'm one of the older members of my chapter, and I would hate feeling like I didn't contribute or accomplish something major. Unfortunately, some of our sisters who graduate this and next year (and are very deserving) weren't appointed to leadership roles and won't ever have the chance. I'd be so sad if that were to be me. I feel like I've accomplished so much just being a founding member of my chapter, but I know I can contribute more than that.

Last edited by sweptbystars; 03-30-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Without knowing how your sorority does nominations and elections, because every org does them differently, joining committees that may not require being elected or volunteering to be the assistant to the Regional Manager or whatever can be a good stepping stone to larger leadership positions. Girls who are Finance VP Assistant then have strong credentials to be the Finance VP, girls who have worked in recruitment usually do well in elections for recruitment positions, etc. It also helps to join these committees and do the thankless tasks because then girls are more likely to associate you with leadership and serving in those positions.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Not really my lane, but sorta. Let me add that no matter what, do not let your chapter not choosing you to serve in the capacity you want to serve negatively impact your dedication to your organization.

Not only El Supremo #1 can make a difference--and your opportunity to be a difference maker at all levels of your organization both before and post graduation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Not being the most popular person in the room is not necessarily a detriment to obtaining a leadership position in any organization or becoming a CEO for that matter. One of the most positive aspects of being in a Greek organization is the opportunity to obtain leadership experience. In some of the larger (and well financed) chapters, this experience is significant and sometimes involves the management substantial amounts of money.

All the advice given above is very good, especially the part about being an assistant to (whatever position you are interested in).

I'd just like to add being a leader does not necessarily involve being in a management or executive position. Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" was first published in 1937. (You can probably get a free PDF copy of this book or a used copy for under $5.) When you graduate, you will likely find that if you go to work for a large company or the U.S. government, a lot of money will be spent by your employer (no matter what your job actually is) to develop your leadership style and behavior. The gist of many of these expensive courses can be traced to this Carnegie book. For several generations, it was considered an important book in the business field.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I had leadership roles in other campus organizations and was never more than "Assistant Such and Such" in my sorority. This did not affect my commitment or activity in my sorority in any way. I lived with my sisters and participated fully in all chapter activities. And yes, I was their bridesmaid and they were mine. Sometimes what an individual member brings to the sorority is her activity outside it. This was true of many of my sisters. There are many different ways to live your creed!

ETA: I see you are a Chi Omega! Please take a look at our Six Purposes!

• Friendship
  • High Standards of Personnel
  • Sincere Learning and Creditable Scholarship
  • Career Development
  • Participation in Campus Activities
  • Community Service

Chi Omega

Last edited by 1964Alum; 03-30-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Additional information.