GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,495
0 members and 1,495 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

bill highway

are any of you familiar with bill highway? zta has recently gone with that system of receiving members payments and paying bills. last month i sent in payment for my daughters dues -there is the option to pay in full for the semester or make a monthly payment and i paid in full-and i got an invoice in the mail today that acknowledges that they received the paytment, but they are also billing me for one months dues. i am not impressed!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM

We're getting underway with it. Getting underway with any new sort of billing system is not fun. Hopefully all the bugs will be ironed out soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Bill Highway-UGH!!!!

At Penn State we are now using Bill Highway...Yes, I agree-it can be stupid to an extent...I had the same problem...The way I understand this-and if I'm wrong-please someone correct me....Even if you pay in full you will still get an invoice each month to show it is taken out in installments (Mainly for YOUR records more so than theirs)....So, even if you get the thing asking for more money...that initial payment page that confirmed your payment should have been printed out by you....it doesn't mean you didn't pay when they send you those things...it means they send those out to everyone to show what is being paid for.....I graduated already (May 2007) so, it's something I used for about a year or so...If you have any questions in regards to it...you can probably call them....
Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

ASA just started using billhighway recently. I actually have a training manual on it and know a fairly good deal on it. If you have any questions, you can pm me and I'll see if I can look them up.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

thanks to all your responses. our international office emailed me and indeed bill highway still sends a monthly invoice, even if the bill is paid in full-i find that annoying!!

maybe if enough parents complain from enough groups using bill highway they, will change it. fingers crossed!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We've been on it for a little more than 2 years... it has come a long way since our NO first enlisted all our chapters in it, but it definitely has a long way to go. They are pretty responsive to parent/student/chapter complaints - we've had success with getting several new options added, so I'd recommend writing them a letter. (or email - which it takes them a few days to answer) As the rep told us one night when we had her troubleshooting - they can't help and make it better if they don't know that people are having issues or unhappy with it.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Just remember, the reason all of these bill paying companies have sprung up is because members do not pay their bills so some force is needed to collect the money.

Those who do not pay are hardships for the rest.

Some may be good and some may be bad, but as I said, they came about for a reason.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Just remember, the reason all of these bill paying companies have sprung up is because members do not pay their bills so some force is needed to collect the money.
I'm not sure that's the only reason....not every chapter has a sister or two who's good at this sort of money-stuff to run for treasurer. I never knew how excrutiatingly bad some people were at math until I got the job I have and saw grown men & women freaking out over simple addition & subtraction.

But yeah, collections is definitely part of it.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a new treasurer and need help!! Where can I get a training manual? It would be much appreciated!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter uses bill highway and I find it to be just a pain as far as user interface is concerned.

The monthly invoice is new to me though. Somehow we prepay and don't get any more invoices. I know that if your dues are $100/mo. (I wish, but for even numbers lets just say they are) and you pay $200 for 1 month. The next month it will deduct the remaining credit with another invoice.

I believe we have it set up to have a separate payment option for pre pay. You pay one and are done. Maybe the interface is not as bad as I think but I only touch it twice a year.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Bill highway is the devil. I'm so glad I'm alum now. Honestly, I tried to help my lil sister by paying some of her dues and I called and wanted to pay a portion of what she owed by credit card and even though some of it was past due (and in Phi Mu you're supposed to be able to pay only past due items with CC) it wouldn't let me pay anything but the full amount. Well, I didn't have the ability to do that and so I ended up paying a portion with a check, but what a pain! It took me like 30 minutes to get anything done. I wish that HQ would allow us to pay with CC. I understand they don't want us to go in debt or whatever (and if that's not the reason please let me know cos I'd LOVE to know why!), but if you can pay past due items with a card then what's the point?! On top of that, you can't even use your check card, which comes out of your bank account anyway! And god forbid a parent wants to pay with their card! That is the most foolish thing. I am so glad to be done with it. We had a lot of Phis this year who held off paying things because they didn't want to deal with this system! (eventually they had to though).
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason that you cannot use credit cards on billhighway is because they are still a relatively small business, so their credit card processing fees are high. When a bill is 5 or more days past due, you are assessed a 2.5% fee but can pay by credit card then. This fee goes to cover the cost of the credit card transaction.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
On top of that, you can't even use your check card, which comes out of your bank account anyway!
The no debit card thing is something I questioned too as I think there are many college age students who just don't HAVE checks or use them - everything is paying online or with debit cards. I really think that billhighway should provide money orders for this purpose (so you don't have to go to 7-11 & pay some ridiculous amount for them).
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking from a finance officer's standpoint I have to say that billhighway is a godsend. I know that some collegians are not happy with it, but when a new treasurer calls me hysterically with questions about their account, it helps that I can log in and see all of their chapter's cash flow for the past semester.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
The reason that you cannot use credit cards on billhighway is because they are still a relatively small business, so their credit card processing fees are high. When a bill is 5 or more days past due, you are assessed a 2.5% fee but can pay by credit card then. This fee goes to cover the cost of the credit card transaction.
Well when I call billhighway to pay with my card (for late items only cos that's all they allow) they specifically say that my organization does not allow it (They won't let me pay any less then the total cost! Even if I want to put a significant amount). Although once it did let me pay $15 on my card...(I don't get it!)

If they really just can't take credit card cos they are so small even though I know many chapters have it and many orgs. force it on chapters as a whole (so they should have some money by now), then they are just sh*tty. Even the tiniest restaurant at the mall takes CC on orders of $3 or more!

I'm sure their services are very good as far as helping the treasurers, but for pete's sake they need to improve it on the paying person's side. There have to be other services who offer the same chapter financial analysis at a glance without all of this BS. National organizations should only settle for the best because APH seems like it's the cheap route out of all the companies seeing as how they offer less convenience. But I'm glad it works for you, cos it didn't work too good for me. (And don't get me started on selecting the invoices for payment...what a mess!)

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 01-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.