GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,383
2 members and 2,381 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Organizations founded AFTER 1930, Why did you pledge?

So there's a thread about those who pledged orgs founded BEFORE 1930, what about those folks who are members of Organizations founded after 1930? What was your reason for joining?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Before 1930 (and actually much later than that) the time wasn't ripe for the multicultural organizations to develop. Our culture first had to grasp the concept of cultural organizations (for better or worse), those to which multicultural GLOs owe a tremendous debt of gratitude.

The first 'minority multicultural sorority' wasn't founded until the 1980s and inclusive multicultural sororities (founders were not majority Latina or Asian and the organizations are very open to non-'minority' members) were founded in the 1990s.

In Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc., I saw the beginnings of a social movement - something different from "diversity" and "melting pots" - a place where people are situated in such a way that they can't avoid each other and they have to come to terms with their own perceptions of the world and the consequences that follow.

I suppose it sounds more idealistic than what generally occurs in reality, but my organization still provides something that I don't see very often and that is a place to openly learn, ask questions, realize how much bigger the world is than the self and have an opportunity to make a positive change in someone's life in the face of the oppression that still occurs in the U.S.

I wasn't joining a sorority for the social aspect although the networking is certainly a plus. I made the decision that if I were going to put my blood, sweat and tears into anything, it had to be progressive, inclusive, socially aware and willing to stand against the norm. For this reason, I personally take cues from and deeply respect NPHC sororities. I see that they are doing similar things in their contexts. I would like to see my organization grow to the level of influence that these organizations have though I realize getting there will be a drastically different process.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 12-12-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SxyLambdaLady6
hey wicked,

do you know anything about phi iota alpha?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Isn't Phi Iota Alpha's founding year still in question? There are many that say they are not the first Latino org founded since they are a product of two mainstream fraternities (one was a Hispanic society), an a product of Pan Americanism philanthropy. (this is the argument i've heard)

I know they didn't resurface until the 80's due to alot of Latinos being involved in all the wars.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always put Phiotas founding (well the very beginnings) at RPI in 1898. Of course they went through a shitload of mergers and stuff and were inactive on the collegiate level for awhile.
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 04-25-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

idk...I went on their main website and the history was very confusing so I'm just gonna stick to what I know..
Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

from what i see on their website, it seems they are the result of several fraternities/secret societies/student organizations that were scattered all over... they seem to have been different from the contemporary definition of a latino fraternity, more of an organization or secret society. then they died out and re-emerged in the 80s, perhaps in response to the development of the Latino Greek Movement as it has been since 1975.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in highschool and applying to college I never thought of joining a sorority because they all seemed pretty wack. basically. I always thought greek life was what you saw on TV and that was definitely not what I was about. Then I started attending UCF and one of my room mates (who went to the same highschool as me) started becoming interested in a mainstream organization...and after a while she stopped because it did not feel right for her (I don't blame her)...then she started attending meetings for LTA in fall 04 and she kept on trying to make me come with her. I was still against sororities so I never went. Then in spring 05 I started to go to these meetings and I realized how different minority greek life is! These girls I went to meetings with were so professional and passionate It was right where I belonged! I remember seeing another sorority doing tables outside the student union but they did not say anything to me, so I grabbed one of their goodie bags..ate the candy...then threw away the rest. The LTAs were actually interested in what I had to say and were very down to earth and caring. I was an interest for 8 months and the rest is history

I became a sister FALL 05 and I could never be happer!

I love my chapter, without them I would not be here
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that I would join a particular kind of sorority when I came to college (I may have mentioned before that I was a little "sister" in high school), but was very dismayed at what I found when I actually got there. It was a lot of the stereotypical stuff you think of when you think of greek life, and as a pre-med, who wanted to pass my classes, who already had friends, and already knew how to party - I just didn't think there was anything greek life could offer me.

That was until a good friend of mine told me about Lambda Tau Omega - a brand new sorority at FSU that was trying to get established. I had heard of them before, but didn't know much about it, but whatever... went to an interest meeting anyway with my friend. I immediately was blown away at how professional, genuine, and DIVERSE these womyn were. They weren't your stereotypical sorority girls, just some really cool people who were trying to make moves. I could feel the bond they had, and as a bi-racial womyn I appreciated their focus on multiculturalism. I fell in love....

And some time later, I became a sister. My friend who introduced me to the sorority is my Ace, and through graduation and grad school I've seen our sorority blossom at FSU. It's been hard sometimes - being post 1930 and all (lol) - because this multicultural concept is still new in the South. But I don't regret it for a second. I love my sisterhood and everything it stands for. Seaquin!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Smile

I just crossed last week into Sigma Beta Xi Sorority. we are technically pretty new, having only been around for about 4 years. i had options to join better known/larger/older sororities, in fact my family includes about 5 Zeta Phi Beta's, but i knew that wasnt an option for me.

i had pretty much given up until completely by accident, i ran across SBX. it was everything i wanted, and even more than i expected. my chapter only consists of 9 women, but we are slowly and steadily adding to our regimen nationwide.

the intimacy of a smaller, newer sorority is amazing. Right after i crossed, i recieved emails and calls from sorors all across the country who had heard my line of three crossed. ask someone in a larger BGLO if a soror halfway across the country has that type of closeness with her sisters!

i look foward to learning from these new sisters, and teaching them as well...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
I just crossed last week into Sigma Beta Xi Sorority. we are technically pretty new, having only been around for about 4 years. i had options to join better known/larger/older sororities, in fact my family includes about 5 Zeta Phi Beta's, but i knew that wasnt an option for me.

aww you just crossed last week? Congrats and Welcome to the Wonderful Greek Family!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the intimacy of a smaller, newer sorority is amazing. Right after i crossed, i recieved emails and calls from sorors all across the country who had heard my line of three crossed. ask someone in a larger BGLO if a soror halfway across the country has that type of closeness with her sisters!
That is a beautiful thing, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Congrats!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. Est. 1975

When I first heard about LTA it was through a friend of mine who had just become a sister. I wasn't really interested in going greek because in my experience I didn't like the attitudes and what I felt was exclusion that was associated with being Greek. My friend gave me an invitation to an informational and I went, mainly because I didn't want to be rude. At that first informational the attendees were ladies I had known since starting college, from varied races and backgrounds, and all were so sweet and friendly. Little did I know that most of them would become my line sisters.

I knew LTA was the first and most prestigious Latina sorority in the country, but until I became an interest I wasn't aware of their diversity. I am African American, and in talking to sisters, visiting websites and meeting other interests I realized that there were sisters of all backgrounds and that diversity was an important part of what makes LTA so strong, and that was a major aspect that was exciting to me. Also, the LTAs were leaders on campus, in the Latino community but also in the greater campus community. They were role models, and I looked up to them. I was drawn to Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. for lots of reasons, but the biggest was their genuine sisterhood. As soon as I became involved with the interest group, I felt such a strong connection with the sisters on my campus, and I could really feel that as a reflection of the sisterhood and love that they shared among themselves. I knew I wanted to be a part of that. Joining a sorority was something I never expected myself to do, but when I made the decision to pledge, it didn't even feel like I was making a decision: I couldn't have pictured myself doing anything else; it just felt so perfect for me.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to poeticace
This is probably gonna be repetitive of some of the above replies, but here's my story:

I was originally never really interested in Greek life. The Greek life I knew about was things I had seen in MTV's "Sorority Life", which I looked at and knew I didn't want any part of it. I go to school at Rutgers, and despite it supposedly being "diverse", it's not. Yes, there's many religions and ethnic groups represented, but when you look closely: the white people stick with the white people, the Hispanic with the Hispanic... etc. I come from a diverse town that was TRULY diverse - all I had to do was look around at my best friends to see - and I was REALLY missing that multicultural way of life. In addition, I myself, am a whole bunch of nationalities/ethnicities - English, Norwegian, Czech, Spanish, black, and Cherokee, so it was important to me to join an inclusive group rather than an exclusive group. I wasn't black enough to feel comfortable joining a historically black org, nor was I white enough (more in actions/mindset than physicality) to feel comfortable joining a historically white org, and same goes for the Latina orgs.

So I began researching the multicultural organizations on campus. I came across the sororities, and saw how much work they put into the community - Rutgers and New Brunswick, both, and how nearly every single sorority had student leaders in their organizations. I began to realize that maybe this side of Greek life was a different one.

Skipping forward to Lambda Psi Delta - I saw a TRULY diverse, welcoming group of women in them. I always say it, but it really is true, meeting them for the first time and going to their meetings was like coming home for me. I literally mean they reminded me of my hometown, but more importantly, I felt as if I could be myself with these women all while growing with them.

I think that about sums it up - but I also want to say that the small size and alumni involvement was also very important to me. When I was still an interest, I was able to meet a founder, and she took the time to get to know US as people - not just another number. Although when I was an interest there were no alumni from my chapter, through meeting the founder, I was able to see that LpsiD is a LIFE time commitment. Now that we do actually have alumni from our chapter - they're ALWAYS coming back to support our events, and they always show they care - emails, calls, im, even a message on myspace/fb.

And to wrap it up... I love my org... waaaaaaaaa-ooooooooooo-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
#1 SP 06 Unbreakable Soul Line

"I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages" ~ Tech
Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ask someone in a larger BGLO if a soror halfway across the country has that type of closeness with her sisters!
Actually I do send out emails/call new members around the country.

random thought: the internet has done WONDERS for the greek community (regardless of your focus/size). My sorority has a messageboard that has connected Sorors from Japan, Mexico, Europe and across the U.S.