GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,317
0 members and 1,317 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

Talking Phyllis Schlafly Has Relationship Advice

This seemed more fitting in this forum than the news forum.

Phyllis Schlafly Claims Women Paid the Same as Men Won't Find Husbands
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5154150

ETA: http://m.christianpost.com/news/fact...rness--117959/

Dear Women Feminists and Men Feminists of the World:

Stop messing with natural order and God's design. Lest we forget https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kORINpVUEtE and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Dyzm8L6cU

Sincerely,
Sarcasm

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Bwahahaha. Phyllis Schlafly is a relic, and continues to prove it every time she opens her mouth.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly thought she was deceased. Guess not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always wished she would practice what she preaches and stay at home.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I honestly thought she was deceased. Guess not.
I did too! I am so bad about that kind of thing.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Banned

Is her viewpoint in the minority or majority? Is it considered outdated? Do younger generations not subscribe to that?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading the article, I think her logic is faulty. Even if somone subscribed to her viewpoints, her "ergo" conclusion is a stretch.

I've always made more than my husband, and this has been a non-issue. If he was the kind of person for whom this was an issue, I doubt we'd have ended up together. I just don't think as many people are as worried about this as what Phyllis thinks.

My mom is of Phyllis's generation, and has had many choice words to say about Phyllis over the years.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I've always made more than my husband because I have 2 more degrees. It has been a non-issue; I think he's just glad for the money.

In the seventies, I was at an agricultural convention at the U of Missouri and a female master's student there commented, "You're working on your doctorate? You'll never get a husband."
Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Her niece and co-author http://suzannevenker.com/
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Is her viewpoint in the minority or majority? Is it considered outdated? Do younger generations not subscribe to that?
I personally don't care whether my future husband or I makes more money, as long as we're both well-off and financially stable. I would guess that many of my peers feel similarly to me in this regard, though I can't speak for everyone.

Also, I have never heard of this Phyllis Schlafly woman before, and all I can think of every time I read her name is Phyllis from The Office. I cannot shake this association.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I don't need a husband, I'm going to keep a couple of 20-somethings in constant rotation by buying them nice jewelry and kicking them out when I feel like eating frosting straight from the can.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Banned

I miss The Office.

Would it help if Phyllis had some Bible quotes to back this stuff up? That would prove she isn't making this stuff up. It is factual and comes from an authoritative long lasting source.

Her niece supposedly speaks to the younger generations. I think there are generations of people in this country and around the world who agree with this crew. Some of these people may talk a good game but their life mirrors what Phyllis and crew are saying.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I personally don't care whether my future husband or I makes more money, as long as we're both well-off and financially stable. I would guess that many of my peers feel similarly to me in this regard, though I can't speak for everyone.

Also, I have never heard of this Phyllis Schlafly woman before, and all I can think of every time I read her name is Phyllis from The Office. I cannot shake this association.
Look her up. She's a "famous" anti-feminist. If it is meant to help women, she is against it.

AOII

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

What always bothered my mom about Phyllis is that she made a career out of doing exactly what she preached women shouldn't do. She certainly wasn't staying at home...she was running around telling everyone that women shouldn't work, while running her organization, running for office, writing books, working the lecture circuit, etc. What a hypocrite.

Looks like her niece is just as much of a self-promoter.

ETA: I should clarify that my mom was fighting the good fight as a 1950s era college graduate...one of only 3 women in the business school at Michigan State, and she had to deal with a lot of blatant male chauvenism. One of her father's brothers actually asked him why they were wasting money sending a daughter to college. It really irked her that Phyllis was running around building her business on the premise that other women should stay at home.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-19-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
What always bothered my mom about Phyllis is that she made a career out of doing exactly what she preached women shouldn't do. She certainly wasn't staying at home...she was running around telling everyone that women shouldn't work, while running her organization, running for office, writing books, working the lecture circuit, etc. What a hypocrite.

Looks like her niece is just as much of a self-promoter.

ETA: I should clarify that my mom was fighting the good fight as a 1950s era college graduate...one of only 3 women in the business school at Michigan State, and she had to deal with a lot of blatant male chauvenism. One of her father's brothers actually asked him why they were wasting money sending a daughter to college. It really irked her that Phyllis was running around building her business on the premise that other women should stay at home.
Too true! Sometimes it's hard to see with that big plank in your eye. She is what she proclaims is wrong in the world.

AOII