GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 582
0 members and 582 guests
No Members online

Old 11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to robertkyxiota
Here's a little bit from a different perspective. A local sorority upstarted at this university, the two NPCs don't seem to give them any slack at all. In fact there was one flyer put out during rush week by the two NPC sororities basically saying "Don't go Local, go National." From an outsider's perspective really made the national sororities look petty.

Anyway just remember, whatever happens, good or bad. People will notice. If you are being treated badly, I could really see as how that might cause a lot of lost potential members for other GLOs.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robertkyxiota
Here's a little bit from a different perspective. A local sorority upstarted at this university, the two NPCs don't seem to give them any slack at all. In fact there was one flyer put out during rush week by the two NPC sororities basically saying "Don't go Local, go National."
That's unfortunate. I'm willing to bet had they gone to their Panhellenic, those sororities could've gotten infractions for that. Our campus had a local, and while they didn't participate in formal recruitment, we didn't degrade them or try to hinder their rush efforts at all because that would've just made us look petty.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was the local Panhellenic that was producing those things.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I think it was the local Panhellenic that was producing those things.
I highly doubt that. You said "basically said". What did the posters actually say?

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I don't remember 100% becuase it was done at the beginning of the semester. At this university we only have 2 NPC sororities, and only have 1 local sorority. I just remember it had both of their names on there, and was saying "Benifits of going National" and listed some stuff. That's all I 100% remember. I don't even know or think that the sororities themselves were the ones that put it out, or if maybe it was the Greek Life advisor. I know some of the people in one of the sororites and they are nothing less than extremly kind. I can't say 100% who put it out, but I know it was put out.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Well I don't remember 100% becuase it was done at the beginning of the semester. At this university we only have 2 NPC sororities, and only have 1 local sorority. I just remember it had both of their names on there, and was saying "Benifits of going National" and listed some stuff. That's all I 100% remember. I don't even know or think that the sororities themselves were the ones that put it out, or if maybe it was the Greek Life advisor. I know some of the people in one of the sororites and they are nothing less than extremly kind. I can't say 100% who put it out, but I know it was put out.
Just getting clarification, because had the posters said EXACTLY what you said, the locals could've very well gone to the Panhellenic or to the 2 sororities because that would've been openly putting them down. It's permissible to promote the benefits of Panhellenic sororities, it's NOT okay to openly put down other organizations

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Well it was the beginning of the semester, and I think it was delt with.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Well it was the beginning of the semester, and I think it was delt with.
I checked out your fraternities' site. It's cool that you all are based in Christianity

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thought I'd chime in on this as I'm a member of one of the "mean" national sororities at the University of Texas at Dallas, where the flyer went out. You want the whole story from an insider perspective - here goes.

In 2003, Alpha Lambda Chi, UTD's local sorority, started up. For their first recruitment (Fall 2003), they passed out flyers to the on-campus housing listing the benefits of being in a local sorority, such as lower dues, the ability to create new traditions, a smaller group of girls, and in big bold letters "NO HAZING."

Please understand, this flyer went out just 1 week before NPC's formal recruitment began, Alpha Lambda Chi does not participate in formal recruitment with the NPC groups, and as a recipient of the flyer, it is clear that the insinuation was "National Organizations Haze."

Therefore, in response to the flyer, NPC did make a flyer listing the benefits of being in a national organization, the no hazing policy of the campus, and a list of all the UTD-recognized Greek Organizations - which does not include Alpha Lambda Chi. (UTD considers them a "service organization." Don't ask me why, I think they should be considered Greek. Paperwork, I guess.)

This year we voted to pass out the flyer again, with a few adjustments. We removed the no hazing policy and changed some wording to make it "less harsh." After all, this year it did not go out as a response to a rude flyer on the local's part, but as a response to the huge number of freshman girls who asked the Recruitment Counselors "What's the difference between Alpha Lambda Chi and the other 2 sororities?"

And just to clarify, we do respect Alpha Lambda Chi. My roommate from last year (and one of my best friends) was the ALX social chair this year. They had a really great recruitment this semester, and we've been trying to do more NPC/ALX functions.

That's all I've got.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPam
Thought I'd chime in on this as I'm a member of one of the "mean" national sororities at the University of Texas at Dallas, where the flyer went out. You want the whole story from an insider perspective - here goes.

In 2003, Alpha Lambda Chi, UTD's local sorority, started up. For their first recruitment (Fall 2003), they passed out flyers to the on-campus housing listing the benefits of being in a local sorority, such as lower dues, the ability to create new traditions, a smaller group of girls, and in big bold letters "NO HAZING."

Please understand, this flyer went out just 1 week before NPC's formal recruitment began, Alpha Lambda Chi does not participate in formal recruitment with the NPC groups, and as a recipient of the flyer, it is clear that the insinuation was "National Organizations Haze."

Therefore, in response to the flyer, NPC did make a flyer listing the benefits of being in a national organization, the no hazing policy of the campus, and a list of all the UTD-recognized Greek Organizations - which does not include Alpha Lambda Chi. (UTD considers them a "service organization." Don't ask me why, I think they should be considered Greek. Paperwork, I guess.)

This year we voted to pass out the flyer again, with a few adjustments. We removed the no hazing policy and changed some wording to make it "less harsh." After all, this year it did not go out as a response to a rude flyer on the local's part, but as a response to the huge number of freshman girls who asked the Recruitment Counselors "What's the difference between Alpha Lambda Chi and the other 2 sororities?"

And just to clarify, we do respect Alpha Lambda Chi. My roommate from last year (and one of my best friends) was the ALX social chair this year. They had a really great recruitment this semester, and we've been trying to do more NPC/ALX functions.

That's all I've got.
Thanks for the perspective.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the clarification, I was just pointing out how it seemed from an outsider's perspective. I apologize for any disrespect what I said might have conveyed, I certainly didn't mean any. I just wanted to say that from an outsider it seemed really odd and harsh without any backstory.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, I was just pointing out how it seemed from an outsider's perspective. I apologize for any disrespect what I said might have conveyed, I certainly didn't mean any. I just wanted to say that from an outsider it seemed really odd and harsh without any backstory.
I totally understand. I was an "outsider" when the first flyer went out - so I completely understand where you're coming from.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiNuBlue
Wow, I can't imagine having the oppritunity to haze! Our school has VERY strict polices. Although, the reason they were put into effect was because a student was endangered because of hazing. I am just so used to signing an anti-hazing contract every year and proudly saying we don't haze. It's funny though when alumni come back from about 20 years ago and ask why we aren't making the pledges do certain things. Every year the same people ask and every year we tell them it breaks our anit-hazing laws. I guess, I also don't understand why someone would want to be friends with people that made them do outrageous things. I understand everyone does it, but still theres a thin line...

I kind of went off the topic there but I just didn't realize how many people assumed locals haze because they don't have nationals to stop them. I guess just because we dont have nationals, doesn't mean we don't have someone regulating what we do...
Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Well the media never says anything about the many many GLOs who go on existing, without 0 instance of hazing ever. They just always focus extremly on the couple of instances that happen a year, and in doing so always try and bring up past ones.