GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,404
0 members and 2,404 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Dropping a Pledge

I know pledges are dropped all the time for different reasons, and none of you can tell me for sure, but I'm wondering if this seems likely.

I know this guy, let's call him J. J shocked myself and some other friends by rushing and pledging ABC this tri.

I saw him on Tuesday night, and he wasn't wearing his pledge pin, so I asked him about it. He told me he was dropped for being "to confident" and that he wasn't going to be anyone's b***h, which is what they wanted from him. Now I know a bit about ABC's pledge process and I know it's not easy.

To be honest, I would have been shocked if he made it. For reasons that have more to do with him then anything.

Does this sound like a reason why a pledge might be dropped? Or is it more likely that he dropped himself and won't admit to it (after already dropping XYZ in the winter tri).

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

sounds like he couldnt take the heat

Im always up for getting down
Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

He probably was dropped because the actives ended up not liking him as much as they thought they did during rush. It happens all the time: guys put on a great show for rush week but it turns out that it was all an act and it becomes apparent. The "I was too confident" and "I didn't want to be their b***h" sounds like textbook "I was dropped and I'm pissed about it so I'm going to turn it on the chapter".
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

to me it sounds like he could not stand up to the challenge and quit. thats why he so mad about it. i mean anybody who really wanted to join would bounce back and be there come next rush.

Alpha Phi Zeta
Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Yeah, more or less that was my thought to I just wanted someone to confirm that I wasn't crazy.

He "dropped" two fraternities in the two tris he was allowed to pledge (freshman have to wait until winter tri to pledge). I feel worse for the brothers then I do for him

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
I know pledges are dropped all the time for different reasons, and none of you can tell me for sure, but I'm wondering if this seems likely.

I know this guy, let's call him J. J shocked myself and some other friends by rushing and pledging ABC this tri.

I saw him on Tuesday night, and he wasn't wearing his pledge pin, so I asked him about it. He told me he was dropped for being "to confident" and that he wasn't going to be anyone's b***h, which is what they wanted from him. Now I know a bit about ABC's pledge process and I know it's not easy.

To be honest, I would have been shocked if he made it. For reasons that have more to do with him then anything.

Does this sound like a reason why a pledge might be dropped? Or is it more likely that he dropped himself and won't admit to it (after already dropping XYZ in the winter tri).
Totally legitimate, if the guy thinks he's better than everyone, i.e. a cocky over-confident douche, he'll get the boot. Thats the way things work.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing is guarenteed when some one is recruited from first impressions.

Many things could have happened between him and the Active Brothers.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Membership is not an entitlement. He could have been booted for any reason.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

O I know. What shocked me is he claimed time and time again that he dropped.

I was talking to one of the brothers last night who told me what happened. I know the guy well enough to know the story that I was told is true. He did not drop, rather, he was dropped.

Second time. I'm wondering if he will try to rush and pledge elsewhere in the fall.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was talking to one of the brothers last night who told me what happened. I know the guy well enough to know the story that I was told is true. He did not drop, rather, he was dropped.

Second time. I'm wondering if he will try to rush and pledge elsewhere in the fall.
Doubtful any self-respecting organization will pick him up. If that was coming through my house, hell no.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If so he'll have to settle for a "lesser" fraternity, word gets around about people, even at a school of 40,000+.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Even in the real world few will admit they got fired. It's easier on the ego to say they quit because the boss/co-workers/customers were jerks, the job sucked, the hours sucked, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Not even the "bottom" groups will want him, if they have any common sense.

If you want to give him good advice: tell him to transfer, it doesn't sound like he'll ever be happy there
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
If you want to give him good advice: tell him to transfer, it doesn't sound like he'll ever be happy there
Better advice: Tell him not everyone is cut out to be greek and that he might as well stop wasting his time. If he's done this at one school with more than one fraternity, doubtful it'll be different anywhere else.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Different fraternities ARE different. We have had a ton of brothers who depledged at other fraternities their freshman year and found what they were looking for with us.

Chances are that if the fact that he pledged this fraternity "shocked" you, then chances are they were never too compatible with his personality anyway. Another group may be.